Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:20 AM

541 posts, read 1,225,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
"Obamanation" and "Obamaphiles"--all creations of the the wingnut right.
Or you can walk up to them in street and begin asking them if they agree with Obama's position on whatever issue, give him the conservative line on the matter, and watch them nod their heads and affirmatively say they're all for it. Your average Hillary voter seemed much more informed through the primaries.

Rarely have I seen a group of less informed voters. Perhaps Huckabee's crowds might fit the bill, but that's probably an overstatement, as well.

Quote:
Obama is doing just fine "controlling" the Democrats in Congress.
Comrade Pelosi seems to have stepped off the reservation on numerous cases. As has John Conyers. I doubt Obama will be able to hold in egos like that for long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 12:25 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,287,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
Or you can walk up to them in street and begin asking them if they agree with Obama's position on whatever issue, give him the conservative line on the matter, and watch them nod their heads and affirmatively say they're all for it. Your average Hillary voter seemed much more informed through the primaries.

Rarely have I seen a group of less informed voters. Perhaps Huckabee's crowds might fit the bill, but that's probably an overstatement, as well.

Comrade Pelosi seems to have stepped off the reservation on numerous cases. As has John Conyers. I doubt Obama will be able to hold in egos like that for long.
Yeah--Pelosi is a little weird, I concur.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
The difference is that the Republicans (or the current incarnation of those who call themselves Republicans) don't give a good godda*n about the poor or the weak, or the American worker. Brutal, self-serving, punitive, "Christian" pieces of sh*t. Good riddance.
Didn't you just accuse conservatives of going "apoplectic?"

Sorry, bud. Farmland is Republican country. Always has been. Always will be. Ask them if they know what work is, and they'll take one look at your smooth little hands and your little (no doubt) bumper sticker coated car and roll their eyes.

But yeah, we don't care about the American worker. Might also want to take a look at which states lead the nation in charitable giving as a percent of income next time you want to call conservatives self-serving, burtal, and punitive, as well. Nope, we don't care about the poor or the weak....

A lot of us just happen to think that someone is better suited to that task than the federal government.

But we'll have a look at what happens when this spending spree has had time to either send us over the cliff into the inflationary abyss or saved us all to judge Zero....or Obama.

As an aside, I'm waiting for that guy to just once actually face his audience directly. It's almost mesmerizing to watch him turn from side-to-side, never looking the camera dead on, never directly facing his audience. Back and forth, back and forth. Listen to the pretty words...

Old 03-04-2009, 12:33 AM

814 posts, read 2,308,710 times
honestly, both parties have a point. this is a global economy, there is no going back on that. the answer is not insulating yourself from the world and neither is raping the american dream. the american dream just needs to be reevaluated.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Didn't you just accuse conservatives of going "apoplectic?"

Sorry, bud. Farmland is Republican country. Always has been. Always will be. Ask them if they know what work is, and they'll take one look at your smooth little hands and your little (no doubt) bumper sticker coated car and roll their eyes.

But yeah, we don't care about the American worker. Might also want to take a look at which states lead the nation in charitable giving as a percent of income next time you want to call conservatives self-serving, burtal, and punitive, as well. Nope, we don't care about the poor or the weak....

A lot of us just happen to think that someone is better suited to that task than the federal government.

But we'll have a look at what happens when this spending spree has had time to either send us over the cliff into the inflationary abyss or saved us all to judge Zero....or Obama.

As an aside, I'm waiting for that guy to just once actually face his audience directly. It's almost mesmerizing to watch him turn from side-to-side, never looking the camera dead on, never directly facing his audience. Back and forth, back and forth. Listen to the pretty words...
Nice try. The American farmer has been practically destroyed by the unholy alliance between our government and agribusiness. What do you think all those "Farm Aid" concerts were about? Sorry, bud.

And that charitable giving thing? Doesn't take into account TIME given to charitable organizations. You know: minor stuff like--horrors!--community organizing and feeding the poor. Anybody can write a check. Especially if they get tax breaks from doing so.

As for Obama not looking into the camera? He's looking at his audience. His recent address was to the Congress. If you want a wink and a nod at the camera, Palin's the man!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Nice try. The American farmer has been practically destroyed by the unholy alliance between our government and agribusiness. What do you think all those "Farm Aid" concerts were about? Sorry, bud.
I grew up on and still work on a farm, bud. We've been raising strawberries, broccoli, blueberries, and a few odds and end crops for decades. I know how the business works, and I know how farmers vote. I suppose this is where you're going to tell me that they don't know what their best interests are, isn't it?

Quote:
And that charitable giving thing? Doesn't take into account TIME given to charitable organizations. You know: minor stuff like--horrors!--community organizing and feeding the poor.
You honestly want to stack left-wing activists up against church ladies and youth groups on that one? haha! Good luck with that proposition.

That said, conservatives spend more time giving to others, as well.

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Conservatives More Liberal Givers

This is well documented if you're actually into that kind of thing.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I grew up on and still work on a farm, bud. We've been raising strawberries, broccoli, blueberries, and a few odds and end crops for decades. I know how the business works, and I know how farmers vote. I suppose this is where you're going to tell me that they don't know what their best interests are, isn't it?

You honestly want to stack left-wing activists up against church ladies and youth groups on that one? haha! Good luck with that proposition.

That said, conservatives spend more time giving to others, as well.

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Conservatives More Liberal Givers

This is well documented if you're actually into that kind of thing.
I notice you don't refute my statement about the destruction of the small American farmer, in general, though.

Please provide a source that says that conservatives spend both more time and money on charitable giving?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 AM

[quote=MovingForward;7725515]I notice you don't refute my statement about the destruction of the small American farmer, in general, though.

It depends on which type of farm you're talking about. Dairy farms and farms that sell through mercantiles run into a lot of competition from larger producers. Their products stay fresher longer. They're transported over longer distances. They have to compete more. And in those mercantiles, they have less leverage. You just have to know how to taylor your business to capture a niche market--tough in this economy.

In the fruit business, we can easily stay afloat. People will pay extra money for good fruits and vegetables because they're that much better. They'll also pay for the opportunity to pick them--usually at a much discounted rate. Pick-your own farms are pretty stable. And people will come to them more now that money is tight.

The biggest threats are:

1) inclement weather/pests over a series of consecutive years creating unfavorable conditions over said time
2) taxation of land
3) the encroachment of cities upon their farms, raising taxation
4) the inability to pass on treks of land to future generations without being taxed to death for it
5) Increasing costs of fertilizer
6) Environmental bans--for instance most recently methyl bromide & strawberries

I don't blame Republicans for these encroachments for the most part. By far the friendliest states to farm are those with the lowest rates of taxation.

Quote:
Please provide a source that says that conservatives spend both more time and money on charitable giving?
The source I cited says as much.

Another:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/op...stof.html?_r=2

Quote:
Many people I know find it almost unbelievable that religious people are 21 percentage points more likely than secularists to volunteer for totally nonreligious causes; or that they are about twice as likely to donate blood
The Right Cares by Interview on National Review Online=

Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 AM

814 posts, read 2,308,710 times
you know it's strange, my family was extremely conservative and were doing all kinds of 'charitable' work. Still, while they were doing charitable work, they were causing the problems for them to be in the situation they were in. It's almost like making someone dependent since that is how you control.

it seems a lot of conservatives usually do not have altruistic motives. it just seems to be an underlying theme. i'm not saying everyone is like this though..

Old 03-04-2009, 02:27 AM

558 posts, read 819,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I have never witnessed such disrespect for the office of President and the man occupying that office, these people feel it is completely acceptable to call the President "idiot, Nobamma,stupid, dumb", and other more foul names.
I'm sure you could find one hundred times as many posts bashing Bush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
The root of all the hate seems to be that these people hate to see the government help other Americans in need.
They say we should not help those with mortgage problems because they bought more house than they could afford or that they are just bullshi**ers abusing the system.
Give me a break. How does it go? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone? I've read enough posts on this forum to know that liberals are nothing more than purse string grabbers who happen to be pretentious enough to try to take the moral high ground when, collectively, they're absolutely no better than the neocons they attack. In fact, I think I've read enough posts on this forum to know that some of you even get a little bit of a stiffy whenever you talk about the union squashing the confederates, FBI snipers shooting mothers clutching babies, etc....basically you get a little bit of a high whenever your government happens to squash anyone who has the audacity not to agree with your ideas/ideals or who happens to live a lifestyle you consider alien (while criticizing the neocons for doing the exact same thing overseas). It disgusts me. And it disgusts others. The sooner you realize that, the better off we'll all be. In a previous thread I (et al) provided many examples of liberals doing the exact same crap you accuse the republicans of doing. Hypocrites. I've said it before and I'll say it again: you're absolutely no better than the republicans you attack. Get over yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies