Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:17 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
When businesses pay more taxes, they have to increase sales to make the same amount of money (for the owners and the CEO) so they have to hire MORE people to produce MORE goods and services.

Somebody above said it: You stimulate the economy by giving more money to more people so they can spend it buying things!
$14 per week? What do you do, save it up for 5 months and then spend it? That is not going to stimulate anything other than votes for Obama. It sure won't get my vote for him or any of his cronies next time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 10:22 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The last eight years produced a steaming pile of elephant poo. What preceded that was an ideology of expanded government, increased spending, and waging two wars simultaneously, all while cutting taxes. The era of irresponsibility is now over and it's time to pay the tab. Tough **** if you don't like it.
The era of irresponsibility is now over? If you took every penny that all that 5% makes the next year you would still be very deep in a hole. Taxing them more won't allow us to pay off the huge debt that is being created by all the stimulations and the extra $400+ billion in the new spending bill. Responsibility!!! What kind of responsibility is being exhibited by this mere pittance of a tax raise on all those "rich" people?

Tell you what. I think that those of us in the $75,000 income range will get a raise by the third year of Obama's time in office. Talk is cheap and he is still talking but paying the bill isn't nearly so easy and the top 1% can never pay it if you confiscate all their wealth.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:29 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Unlikely. Not that I think Limbaugh is stupid - far from it. I do believe that he uses inflammatory rhetoric and lowest common denominator language to pump up people to do stupid things.

I have listened to his show. It takes little intelligence to make adolescent name-calling and mock people. It does, however, show his level of immaturity.

[mod edit]
Listen to his show and you will understand how silly you sound. He "mocks" people for fun, and he is very good at it. Most of his program is promoting conservative ideas. He is very smart. You libs misunderestimate him. Tee hee.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 03-09-2009 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: Lets not start a flame war here or make this personal

Old 03-09-2009, 11:42 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,287,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
[mod edit]
Listen to his show and you will understand how silly you sound. He "mocks" people for fun, and he is very good at it. Most of his program is promoting conservative ideas. He is very smart. You libs misunderestimate him. Tee hee.
Wow. I find that very offensive. No, my feelings aren't hurt, before you make another assumption. I'm not impressed by your "arguments", however. They hold little to no validity.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 03-09-2009 at 11:55 AM..

Old 03-09-2009, 02:08 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Wow. I find that very offensive. No, my feelings aren't hurt, before you make another assumption. I'm not impressed by your "arguments", however. They hold little to no validity.
Oh, brother. Yes, your widdle feelings were hurt. Guess you had to run to the mod and get my post scrubbed. How Stalinist.

Because you don't like my opinions does not make them invalid. Liberals are all for exchange of ideas IF they agree with their own.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:14 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
I don't need to read an article about the topic.
LMAO! Sometimes, even the obvious can be hilarious.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:19 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,287,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
Oh, brother. Yes, your widdle feelings were hurt. Guess you had to run to the mod and get my post scrubbed. How Stalinist.

Because you don't like my opinions does not make them invalid. Liberals are all for exchange of ideas IF they agree with their own.
No, not at all. I just consider the source.

And I didn't report your post. It just wasn't worth that much effort. Perhaps you should take that up with the mod who edited, if you are so bothered by it.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:20 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
$14 per week? What do you do, save it up for 5 months and then spend it? That is not going to stimulate anything other than votes for Obama. It sure won't get my vote for him or any of his cronies next time around.
Aggregate demand. Aggregate.

$13 per week, multiplied by 150,000,000 or so, amounts to $1.95 billion per week. That's real money, and by keeping the weekly amount low, it almost guarantees that the money will be circulated back into local enonomies, rather than going to Wall Street.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I care that one right wing poster is allowed to post numerous right wing talking point threads in one single day...every day.

Isn't there some rule about this? It's not free speech issue..It's about allowing one person to take over a forum with scores of trash threads.
Exactly.

Almost every single one of Kooters threads are trash.

It is funny that you posted this because I just made a post saying there should be a limit put on certain peoples account. Especially the OPs account.

If anything, 2 or 3 threads about disliking Obama can do. It is getting out of control.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Aggregate demand. Aggregate.

$13 per week, multiplied by 150,000,000 or so, amounts to $1.95 billion per week. That's real money, and by keeping the weekly amount low, it almost guarantees that the money will be circulated back into local enonomies, rather than going to Wall Street.
The issue is money is not going back into the economy. Some states saw record numbers of homes being sold as well as some other indicators of significant income, and with all the money some people are receiving they are not spending. One of the reasons is the stock market is an indicator of how the economy is doing. People are saving in case they are the next ones to be effected by this economy. It's the right thing to do, but it's happening at the wrong time. I think many now realize they can't continue to spend more than they bring in.

I happen to be in an occupation that will not be effected by the bad economy and I am not going to spend any more money than I have to right now. My wife and I are like many in the country, we are in a 'save as much as we can' mode. In all honesty, once our economy starts looking better and we see what companies are going to recover well, we will most likely put a large portion of our savings into the market while it's still down. I'm fairly certain that there are going to be many people that will come out of this rotten economy fairly well off if they invest at these record low prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies