Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 PM

568 posts, read 1,478,593 times

Advertisements

If you were President, What would you do to stimulate this economy?

Alot of Americans cry about how the stimulus is a bad idea, but what would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 02:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I's concentrate on housing and banks. If I knew that contracts had to be honored then I would tell the american people not stick some provison in the stimulus bill like Dodd did.I would want every memberr of congress to read every bill and have full debates ;not give them a thousand pages at midnite and vote at 9:00 am the next morning. If it contained pork like this one does ;I'd refuse to sign and tell them to go back and fix it. If i didn't know what other in my administrtion did then I'd fire them.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:19 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Six month income and payroll tax holiday for ALL taxpayers.

Millions of free thinking individuals working in their own financial best interests will make far more informed and effective decisions than a few self-proclaimed know-it-all's in Washintion DC ever could.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:12 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
yup, six months with no witholding, no fica, etc.

let the bad debt fail and get out of the system, pick up and move on after the mess

we're setting up for stagflation now, in my opinion

Old 03-19-2009, 03:13 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
Issue a $.02 tax on every internet message board post.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:16 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
yup, six months with no witholding, no fica, etc.

let the bad debt fail and get out of the system, pick up and move on after the mess

we're setting up for stagflation now, in my opinion

What he said!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:21 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
If you were President, What would you do to stimulate this economy?

Alot of Americans cry about how the stimulus is a bad idea, but what would you do?
Go back to the real New Deal and really concentrate hard on physical infrastructure. Build new roads, new tunnels where needed, build new bridges, build new schools, and build tons and tons of light rail. While we're at it lots of the country is experiencing water shortages so new reservoirs would also be a good idea.

Building infrastructure is the single best stimulus known to economists because you not only employ people but you also spur demand for people at factories building steel, concrete, heavy equipment (18 wheelers, back hoes, etc) and you create greater economic efficiencies long term as people and goods can move around more easily. The first stimulus bill was loaded up with to many Republican tax cuts for the rich and not enough real infrastructure; we need to fix that.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
There used to be a program, I don't know if it's still around, but if a community suffered a natural disaster like an earthquake or tornado or hurricane, then the feds set up bond money for the banks so that people could borrow money to rebuild or repair their homes and lives. Like a natural disaster, the mortgage crisis has had a devastating impact on communities. So for the stimulus package, I think the first tier should have been in making available, nationwide, this kind of bond money. Banks that wanted it could request it from the feds. The money comes with strings. It has to be used up within a certain time period (the bank can't just hold it as an asset), and has to be used for mortgages. I would also have adjusted guidelines, so that people in over their heads could have gotten 40 year mortgages. Higher interest, less equity growth, but a more stable housing market with a lot less foreclosures. The second tier, I would have pushed through big tax credits for people making their homes/businesses/lives less dependent on traditional energy sources. Adding solar panels, adding wind turbines, adding passive heating, adding insulation, and the government will encourage those investments by helping you pay for them. Third tier, tax cuts on the middle class. I don't care what the GOP says, rich people don't start businesses, middle class people do. The biggest corporations we have today were started by people who were middle-class working people. Fourth tier, national competitions for science, math, and invention. With substantial prizes. We need people to start bringing out their creativity, and we need to give them the time, money and resources to make it worth their while. Fifth tier, investment in infrastructure. Next order of business, cap the credit rates. I'm all for credit companies making money, but 28.9% interest is usury. Credit card companies have gone crazy, they need to be reined in. Australia this week passed laws modifying golden parachutes. We need to do that, too. Executive salaries, golden parachutes, bonuses of millions of dollars underscore the disconnect between corporate America and real America. Capitalism and free enterprise are great, but even in capitalist America we've always recognized that unfettered capitalism does not provide equal opportunity, but that instead money attracts money. The laws that we've passed against monopolies are all about preventing capital from becoming too concentrated in one person's or one group's hands. Excessive salaries and bonuses are really a way for money to become concentrated into one small group's hands. Are they the elite because they are so talented, or are they the elite because money attracts money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies