Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 08:44 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,645,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
It's also much easier to get preventative care in the UK and to nip a health issue in the bud, before it becomes a bigger (ER) problem. Unfortunately, many Brits tend to procrastinate when faced with going to the doctor. This is just a national trait, nothing to do with the quality of healthcare.

As for meds, when I lived there, I paid no more than approximately the equivalent of $10, for any prescription....and prescriptions were actually free, up until 10 years ago. You really can't beat that with a stick!
Could you detail the UKs tax system as it relates to covering healthcare? How is your tax situation in the US compared to when you lived in the UK? Does the UK tax your income to cover healthcare or does it do a 'sin' tax, or tax gas?
Not being snarky --- I would just like to get a clearer picture.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 PM

122 posts, read 210,122 times
For all you guys (you too Michael Sicko Moore) that want free Healthcare... are you willing to pay higher taxes for your free healthcare?

Higher income tax of over 40 % like most EU countries. In Sweden it's 60%. France 49.6%

Higher sales tax. Britain's sales (VAT) tax is 15%, just lowered from 17.5%. Denmark, Norway, and Sweden's VAT tax = 25%. Most of EU averages 15%.

Regarding France's tax system:
Quote:
Despite a downward trend registered since 1999, the tax burden in 2007 (43.3% of GDP) remains at a high level, both historically and in comparison with other countries. OECD countries have experienced an increase in the tax burden since the mid-60s comparable to that of France, rising from 25% of the GDP in 1965 to 36% in 2005. That of the countries if the European Union has increased by nearly 12 percentage points of GDP over the period. Efforts to control the increase in the tax burden have been made by the states of the OECD: the tax rate decelerated during the 90s and has decreased slightly since 2000. This why France continues be among the OECD countries whose tax rate is the highest. Taxes account for 45% of GDP against 37% on average in OECD countries. The overall rate of social security and tax on the average wage in 2005 was 71.3% of gross salary, the highest of the OECD. The levels of social security contributions are particularly high (16.3% of revenue against 9.4% in average for OECD). The social security budgets are larger than the budget of the national government. The budgets of both the national government and of social security organizations run deficits.
Regarding Sweden:
Quote:
The Swedish labor market has become more flexible, but it still has some widely acknowledged problems.[68] The typical worker receives 40% of his income after the tax wedge. The slowly declining overall taxation, 51.1% of GDP in 2007, is still nearly double of that in the United States or Ireland.
Gas tax... On average in the EU it's 50%. In the EU they pay (average) around $6 to 8 per gallon for gas. In the US the gas tax which differs by state averages around 17.5%.

I can't see just the income tax going up if the US uses UHC or UHI.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,584,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And - what do you suggest be done with the underground economy - do you deny them healthcare?
I have to admit - you are grasping at straws to discredit UHC...

I've NEVER heard anyone mention an underground economy when talking about health care reform...

What do you mean by underground economy??? Are you talking about illegals??

They would not be covered - it would only apply to citizens or those with green cards or work visas - since they would be the ones paying into the system.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,279,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
I have to admit - you are grasping at straws to discredit UHC...

I've NEVER heard anyone mention an underground economy when talking about health care reform...

What do you mean by underground economy??? Are you talking about illegals??

They would not be covered - it would only apply to citizens or those with green cards or work visas - since they would be the ones paying into the system.
I am talking about MILLIONS of American citizens who get paid cash, do not file tax returns (which I know they are suppose to) - many of these people have HEALTH INSURANCE right not - but, under what you are suggesting - they will not have health insurance and be denied health care.

Is this the biggest segment of the US? Of course not. BUT - it is a segment that must be taken into account when formulating any revisions

I'm not using this group to "discredit" anything. I am talking about a real group of people

BTW - you do know that there are a lot of illegals who have stolen identies are are "paying into the system". Do you want them covered?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:53 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,296,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Could you detail the UKs tax system as it relates to covering healthcare? How is your tax situation in the US compared to when you lived in the UK? Does the UK tax your income to cover healthcare or does it do a 'sin' tax, or tax gas?
Not being snarky --- I would just like to get a clearer picture.
Thanks
National Insurance contributions go directly to the NHS. Compared to what we pay here in the US for healthcare, the NHS is an absolute steal (and I mean that). If anything, I would pump more money into it to cut waiting lists, etc.

In reality camping!, taxes in many US states are almost as high (if not AS high) as the UK, or other countries. Here in FL, property tax is through the roof, even though there's no state income tax.

What I care about is having a healthcare system that runs efficiently and has minimal "admin" costs. The state can generally provide this far more cheaply than the private sector, because there's no middle man and there are no profit margins to protect.

The difference is that I don't see the state/government as some sort of oppressive force and I know that generally, taxes go a long way to providing the services we all need. In the case of the UK, I would gladly have them deduct a certain amount from my paycheck for something like the NHS.

I want things like education and healthcare to be included in the "public" realm, yet I do support the free market in every other sense.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I am talking about MILLIONS of American citizens who get paid cash, do not file tax returns (which I know they are suppose to) - many of these people have HEALTH INSURANCE right not - but, under what you are suggesting - they will not have health insurance and be denied health care.

Is this the biggest segment of the US? Of course not. BUT - it is a segment that must be taken into account when formulating any revisions

I'm not using this group to "discredit" anything. I am talking about a real group of people

BTW - you do know that there are a lot of illegals who have stolen identies are are "paying into the system". Do you want them covered?
This will be an incentive for those people to come out of the shadows and pay taxes and be covered.... period...

You really have so many nit-picking reasons against UHC - I get that you are against it - but I just think that you are focusing on very minor issues and ignoring the big picture.

No system will ever be perfect - but that does not mean we can't implement an imperfect UHC. It will be far better in it's imperfection than what we have today...

And to answer your question - illegals should not be covered under UHC... whether they have stolen identities or not. Those people will also probably be able to get Social Security with false identities. Do you want to repeal SS also??

Old 03-21-2009, 08:57 PM

122 posts, read 210,122 times
I disagree Bcreass... according to the articles I have read taxes are much higher for europeans for everything especially their gas tax!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:57 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,296,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlagirl25 View Post
For all you guys (you too Michael Sicko Moore) that want free Healthcare... are you willing to pay higher taxes for your free healthcare?

Higher income tax of over 40 % like most EU countries. In Sweden it's 60%. France 49.6%

Higher sales tax. Britain's sales (VAT) tax is 15%, just lowered from 17.5%. Denmark, Norway, and Sweden's VAT tax = 25%. Most of EU averages 15%.

Regarding France's tax system:

Regarding Sweden:

Gas tax... On average in the EU it's 50%. In the EU they pay (average) around $6 to 8 per gallon for gas. In the US the gas tax which differs by state averages around 17.5%.

I can't see just the income tax going up if the US uses UHC or UHI.
Cars are far smaller/more fuel efficient in Europe. Many of those countries also have extensive mass transit options, financed by their taxpayers.

While you may see those people as somehow "worse off", there are other aspects of their standard of living that is better than ours.

Besides, taxes in certain US states are almost at that level (I've heard taxes are extremely high in NY, for example).

I think the difference is that many Americans see taxes as just a big old waste of money, while Europeans tend to see the benefits of their taxes at work a lot more than Americans do (i.e. with universal healthcare, mass transit alternatives, free/heavily subsidized college education, etc).

Old 03-21-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlagirl25 View Post
I disagree Bcreass... according to the articles I have read taxes are much higher for europeans for everything especially their gas tax!
There taxes ARE higher - but they get far, far more government benefits for their taxes than we do... They get UHC, extensive maternity benefits, extensive severance packages for unemployment...

Old 03-21-2009, 09:00 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,734,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Exactly - it WILL be compulsory - just like Social Security participation is compulsary...

And the first iteration of health reform by Obama will not be UHC - I think that is still several years down the road...

But when we do get UHC - it will cover all - and all will have to contribute - by law... very simple actually.
Well the govt. has done such a great job with social security, medicare, and welfare we should give them healthcare too! What could possibly go wrong.

All the issues with have already been worked out on city data by the healthcare system professionals maybe the govt should use this forum as a reference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies