Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 11:10 AM

2,051 posts, read 9,336,198 times

Advertisements

For those who want to know more...
check out now the CNN interview...

(3 -22- 2009, Sunday 1 p.m. eastern... also later at 5 p.m. I think)

He's rumour to reveal information on Merrill, AIG and others... so turn to CNN now if interested...
later can post what you think... whether pro or con...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 11:20 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
I've been waiting for this.

Spitzer Whacked For Warning Of Financial Crisis, Bush Fed Targets Taxpayers As Bagholders

Spitzer Whacked For Warning Of Financial Crisis, Bush Fed Targets Taxpayers As Bagholders | discuss, debate, decide

Bush and Cheney: Predatory Lenders' Partners in Crime-By Eliot Spitzer

Bush and Cheney: Predatory Lenders' Partners in Crime-By Eliot Spitzer - Democratic Underground

Spitzer disappointed many for making such a mistake as to think that he did not have enemies on Wall Street and the government. I don't care what he did, but he should have known better than to do it in plain sight. Go Eliot! Nail those pigs!

Old 03-22-2009, 11:39 AM

223 posts, read 1,801,938 times
A very revealing 30 minute interview indeed. Well MMC (MadAtMcCain), you spoke in November about tribal economic fights between Goldman and the others. Spitzer implies, if not out and out states, that over 10 percent of monies given to AIG found their way back to Goldman Sachs. I might be wrong in what I heard since I tuned in late, unfortunately, but will watch the 5 p.m. interview.

Thank you, Sickofnyc, for the links posted. It's obvious there's more to this economic mess than meets the eye.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I really doubt Spitzer with his reputation and motive will be listened to. The mear fact of the way he practiced as attorney genral is one'he actually only wnet to sourt one time because he basically harassed anyone he went after. That also included prostitute rings.Pure politcs

Old 03-22-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG_1 View Post
A very revealing 30 minute interview indeed. Well MMC (MadAtMcCain), you spoke in November about tribal economic fights between Goldman and the others. Spitzer implies, if not out and out states, that over 10 percent of monies given to AIG found their way back to Goldman Sachs. I might be wrong in what I heard since I tuned in late, unfortunately, but will watch the 5 p.m. interview.

Thank you, Sickofnyc, for the links posted. It's obvious there's more to this economic mess than meets the eye.
You are quite welcome PaulG. I have been waiting for this ever since that ridiculously obvious sting on Spitzer.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I really doubt Spitzer with his reputation and motive will be listened to. The mear fact of the way he practiced as attorney genral is one'he actually only wnet to sourt one time because he basically harassed anyone he went after. That also included prostitute rings.Pure politcs
Nice try. I'm a New Yorker and we loved Spitzer for his determination for going after the Wall Street lying, thieveing pigs. A lying thieving pig never wants to be harassed, now do they?

Old 03-22-2009, 11:56 AM

89,047 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I have been waiting for this ever since that ridiculously obvious sting on Spitzer.
Not sure Obama is all that different. His team is aligned with the de facto oligarchs:

"BILL MOYERS: Geithner has hired as his chief-of-staff, the lobbyist from Goldman Sachs. The new deputy secretary of state was, until last year, a CEO of Citigroup. Another CFO from Citigroup is now assistant to the president, and deputy national security advisor for International Economic Affairs. And one of his deputies also came from Citigroup. One new member of the president's Economic Recovery Advisory Board comes from UBS, which is being investigated for helping rich clients evade taxes.
You're probably too young to remember that old song, "Sounds like the Mack the Knife is back in town." I mean, is that what you're talking about with this web of relationships?
SIMON JOHNSON: Absolutely. I don't think you have enough time on your show to go through the full list of people and all the positions they've taken."
Bill Moyers Journal . Watch & Listen | PBS

Old 03-22-2009, 12:16 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not sure Obama is all that different. His team is aligned with the de facto oligarchs:
Spitzer on Obama:
"...I think he is doing stupendously," said Spitzer. "I mean, I'm a huge fan of his, I think we all have to be and should be, if only because he has been thrust into a dynamic that is almost impossible. He is trying to put out not 500 small fires, 500 forest fires simultaneously. And he is addressing them sequentially, trying to keep a political coalition together. But it's very hard. And I think one of the largest, most difficult tasks that he has is to control the outrage that is brewing in the public, sympathize with it and garner it, but use it to get good policy, not policy based upon anger."
Spitzer on the AIG bonuses:
"I think I might go back to a very old tort theory of unjust enrichment, contract theory, tort theory, and say, you know what, guys, there is a theory in the law that says ... AIG just doesn't have the money to pay you," he said. "And absent the federal infusion, it wouldn't have it, so we can't pay. And second, I would say unjust enrichment. You simply don't deserve it."
Spitzer Derides 'Faux Populism', Praises Obama

Old 03-22-2009, 12:22 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Spitzer is a very smart man, and an impressive speaker, I could listen to someone like that all day, what a shame he is no longer in public service. Thanks for the heads up on the interview, Spitzer is quite familiar with Wall Street as a former NY AG

Old 03-22-2009, 12:35 PM

89,047 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Spitzer on Obama:
"...I think he is doing stupendously," said Spitzer. "I mean, I'm a huge fan of his, I think we all have to be and should be, if only because he has been thrust into a dynamic that is almost impossible. He is trying to put out not 500 small fires, 500 forest fires simultaneously. And he is addressing them sequentially, trying to keep a political coalition together. But it's very hard. And I think one of the largest, most difficult tasks that he has is to control the outrage that is brewing in the public, sympathize with it and garner it, but use it to get good policy, not policy based upon anger."
Spitzer on the AIG bonuses:
"I think I might go back to a very old tort theory of unjust enrichment, contract theory, tort theory, and say, you know what, guys, there is a theory in the law that says ... AIG just doesn't have the money to pay you," he said. "And absent the federal infusion, it wouldn't have it, so we can't pay. And second, I would say unjust enrichment. You simply don't deserve it."
That's predictable - what did you think he was going to say? What does that have to do with Obama stuffing his admin with bankers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies