Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 06:58 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I wish smoking was just banned. Maybe some of you are right that it would just be like prohibition again. At least it would not be around me.

Here is a little story, a true story. The names have been left out.

The isolation of a smoker:

Life had become a boring routine. She had just been going through the motions of maintaining a normal resemblance of existence. Waking up, having a cigarette. Washing up and brushing her teeth, having a cigarette. Eating breakfast, having a cigarette. Doing some light cleaning, vacuuming, dusting, and having a cigarette. Watching a little television while having a cigarette. Preparing a sandwich for lunch, having a cigarette. Taking a short nap, waking up for a cigarette. Reading the newspaper, having a cigarette.

Making a list of needed groceries, having a cigarette. Getting ready to do some light shopping, having a cigarette. Driving to the local market, having a cigarette. About to enter the store, but stopping to have a cigarette. Checking out at the cash register, leaving the store and having a cigarette. Going home and starting to prepare dinner, having a cigarette. Eating dinner, having a cigarette. Clearing the table and washing the dishes, having a cigarette. Watching a little television, having a couple of cigarettes. Washing up, brushing her teeth and getting dressed for bed, having a cigarette. Getting into bed, having a cigarette. Going to sleep.

The next morning while waking up the phone rang. She ran to get the cigarettes anticapating a good phone conversation. But something was wrong. Pain in the heart. She collapses. No one to try to save her. Her heart stops. No one will be by for days to help. It is too late. She is gone.
The point of the story is?

Someone smoked and then they died?

I have a story too.

There was a man by the name of James F. Fixx. At one time in his life he was obese and a two pack a day smoker. One day he decided to turn his life around, he started exercising, eating healthy, and he quit smoking. He lost over 60 pounds and got into such great shape that he made a career out of being a health nut. He wrote several books on jogging and exercise and extolled the virtues of healthy living. All was well for Jim Fixx. Then one day, during his morning jog, he died of a massive heart attack on a stretch of highway, some 17 years after quitting smoking and eating healthy. He was 52 years old.

Here was a man who was in prime physical condition and who had quit smoking for a long enough period of time that his previous history of smoking would have had little to no effect on his heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then you should be free to pay your own cancer treatment costs should you get cancer from smoking.

You might want to read "Twinkie Deconstructed" to learn a little about the entire food industry in the US. There are more factors than eating fast food that make people fat. This information will not forward your agenda, so I'm sure you're not interested.

My nearest Junion High School is in Europe.
So on this issue, you want to argue personal responsibility - probably because it's about collecting a tax. What about those that got AIDS through completely preventable means? Are they on their own too? How about the people that have low paying jobs because they dropped out of school? Are they on their own? How about drug treatment for the addicts that made the choice to use crack? On their own? Or do these not forward your agenda?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:15 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then you should be free to pay your own cancer treatment costs should you get cancer from smoking.

You might want to read "Twinkie Deconstructed" to learn a little about the entire food industry in the US. There are more factors than eating fast food that make people fat. This information will not forward your agenda, so I'm sure you're not interested.

My nearest Junion High School is in Europe.
If I had cancer from smoking, it would be covered by my own insurance. I live with my choice, good or bad. It's called personal responsibility.

As for your information about obesity, it is the same as HIV. It's a lifestyle issue, eat the wrong foods and no exercise. Too much time in front of the TV or on video games. It's as much the parents' fault as the child, maybe moreso.

I drive through the Junior High school zone almost every day, and have a first hand view of the problem of overweight school children. I'm certain that there are many factors you can use as a crutch for the obesity of our youth. But, the bottom line is eat more healthy food, avoid junk foods, and get off your ass.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:17 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
It's noteworthy that the new tax on tobacco has pushed a single pack of cigarettes to near $7 each. Smokeless tobacco, bulk tobacco, and virtually all tobacco products have been taxed heavily to discourage their use, sometimes more than doubling the taxes currently levied.

Maybe it's time to put a sin tax on the second greatest health problem facing Americans. Obesity.
In America, smoking is shunned for good reason. Moderator cut: copyright
Voices : Americans have earned the title of 'fattest nation on Earth'
It's time we start taxing unhealthy foods that are the basis for our obese society.
Just as soon as someone shows me how to get 10 more hours in my day so that I can "eat healthy", I'll be glad to go along with that. I rarely have time to do anything except swing into a drive-through on my way to or from work. My husband does cook dinner most nights, but even so, he does not have unlimited time available for preparation either. Society, as we know it does not give us the luxury of the time that is needed to prepare healthy foods. It would be terribly unfair to penalize people who are just trying to do the best they can with what is available to them.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-03-2009, 08:22 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
The point of the story is?

Someone smoked and then they died?

I have a story too.

There was a man by the name of James F. Fixx. At one time in his life he was obese and a two pack a day smoker. One day he decided to turn his life around, he started exercising, eating healthy, and he quit smoking. He lost over 60 pounds and got into such great shape that he made a career out of being a health nut. He wrote several books on jogging and exercise and extolled the virtues of healthy living. All was well for Jim Fixx. Then one day, during his morning jog, he died of a massive heart attack on a stretch of highway, some 17 years after quitting smoking and eating healthy. He was 52 years old.

Here was a man who was in prime physical condition and who had quit smoking for a long enough period of time that his previous history of smoking would have had little to no effect on his heart.

The clock of life is wound but once
And no man has the power
To tell just when the hands will stop
At late or early hour.
Now is the only time you own.
Live, love, toil with a will.
Place no faith in time.
For the clock may soon be still.
-- Edward J. O'Hare

Yep. My philosophy exactly. Live and enjoy your life to the fullest. I have known people who were drinkers/smokers, meat eating fools, who lived to 96 years old - never toucheda vegetable! And I have known people who dedicated their entire lives to eating and living in a healthy way who had nothing but medical problems and died young. Personally, I am beginning to think it doesn't make a bit of difference either way.

I think what is important is to be happy and live your life on your own terms and to heck with everybody else.

I support smokers rights and wish that people would quit picking on them. And no, I am not a smoker.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-03-2009, 08:29 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
For me, that perception is due to MOST smokers having no respect for non-smokers: lighting up in the vicinity of others, especially upwind, and around people who are eating, plus throwing nasty cigarette butts all over the ground, etc. SOME smokers are conscientious, it's true, but I have met very few.
Your perception is just that - your perception, which is heavily influenced by your bias against smoking.

The simple fact, which I'm sure you won't readily admit, is that the ONLY difference between a smoker and a non-smoker is that one smokes and the other doesn't. Other than that, they're both just people. They're both just as likely to be inconsiderate to others, or extremely friendly, or anywhere in the middle.

The problem with your perception is that you're not considering the thousands of smokers you've walked past, sat next to, shared a restaurant with, etc. that weren't smoking at the time of your encounter. You assume that they're non-smokers because they don't have a cigarette hanging out of their mouth at that time, but in fact, they may not be smoking just then BECAUSE they're upwind from you, or you're eating, etc.

You can't make a blanket statement like the one you made above and expect to be taken seriously. Think about what you said, while holding back your anti-smoking bias (if you can), and you'll see just how ridiculous what you said really is.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:31 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
This will be one of many taxes, fees, surcharges, etc. that we will face that will make people pay more taxes, but still allow Obama to point to the income tax and claim he didn't raise taxes on the middle class- although I've heard some speculation about the income tax too.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:40 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The clock of life is wound but once
And no man has the power
To tell just when the hands will stop
At late or early hour.
Now is the only time you own.
Live, love, toil with a will.
Place no faith in time.
For the clock may soon be still.
-- Edward J. O'Hare

Yep. My philosophy exactly. Live and enjoy your life to the fullest. I have known people who were drinkers/smokers, meat eating fools, who lived to 96 years old - never toucheda vegetable! And I have known people who dedicated their entire lives to eating and living in a healthy way who had nothing but medical problems and died young. Personally, I am beginning to think it doesn't make a bit of difference either way.

I think what is important is to be happy and live your life on your own terms and to heck with everybody else.

I support smokers rights and wish that people would quit picking on them. And no, I am not a smoker.

20yrsinBranson
It can make a difference. Most people who drink, smoke, and eat unhealthy will die earlier than people who live healthier live styles. That is pretty solidly established.

My point is more "So what?". First of all, I do not see how anyone owns another person's body and idea that any government or organization can dick around with what another person chooses to do with their own body is downright repulsive to me. Secondly, s--t happens. I know that is not the most intellectual view on the matter, but it is true regardless. Look at how many professional athletes who live extremely healthy lives end up dying early. And, hey, your life could always end by freak accident, then it really won't matter how healthy your lifestyle was.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:26 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Your perception is just that - your perception, which is heavily influenced by your bias against smoking.
You've got it so backwards it's laughable.

Why would I be biased against smoking if it didn't affect me? My perception is the RESULT of of what smokers do while smoking, not the other way around.

Yes, there are plenty of rude, obnoxious people in the world who don't smoke, but at least their behavior doesn't directly affect my health.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post

Sorry, 17 years is not enough time to completely undo the effects of smoking.

But, for the sake of argument, let's say it is.

People who regularly train for and run marathons run down their immune systems more than they help, and over time develop enlarged hearts, which is unsafe.

All you've proven is that taking ANY habit to the extreme is unhealthy.

~ Mearth, 3-time marathoner, 3-time triathlete, now plain old jogger and casual cyclist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies