Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 01:33 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Not the point.... The US Military was winning engagement after engagement when Bush was to CINC and all we heard was that they were looseing everything and what a scumbag Bush was. Now they win another small victory and someone says it's thanks to Obama

I don't think so. I don't hear anyone but the Neocons saying things like that, so they can attribute the statement to someone else. Somewhere around 70% of Neocon rhetoric involves that tactic. Look at the Berkely one just above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 01:37 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Not the point.... The US Military was winning engagement after engagement when Bush was to CINC and all we heard was that they were looseing everything and what a scumbag Bush was. Now they win another small victory and someone says it's thanks to Obama
Well, this was my take on things. http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ml#post8307988

I have just heard that President Obama did give an order to use military force if necessary.

I can't figure why you would start rehashing this bush trash. This incident had nothing to do with what bush did in the past. Just because someone wants to pat President Obama on the back?

I think any president would have acted in the same way. democrat or republican.

So, the people who thought President Obama might have been a softy on international incidents, or, dare I say "terrorism"? think again. I think people have seriously underestimated president Obama's resolve that Americans will not be pushed around, but will use diplomacy which is in the toolbox.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:42 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The CNN web story isn't clear....how was he freed? Was this a military operation by Navy Seals or Marines?
SEALS of course. Those guys are bad_ss.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:44 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Who do we wage war on? They have no viable government and the pirates/criminals don't represent that non-functioning government . I guess you want a "war on pirates" or something. Maybe create a "Department of Ocean Security". That's ridiculous.
The pirates are coming from where? Somalia. What is the Somali government doing to stop them? Nothing. If there is no viable government in place to stop a country from waging attacks against our flag, then WE enforce the law in that country - to the extent we seek and destroy the pirates, or at least blow them out of the water at sea.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:47 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Iraq and Afganistan never attacked us, yet we spend a trillion dollars on those 'wars', and here is a country that has attacked us and we say there is nothing we can do. Does that make a whole lot of sense to you?

You may allege that the Somali government gives "tacit' (unspoken) approval of the pirates, but non-tacitly they condemn the pirates in the strongest of terms.

Their comment on the Neocons:

"Yea, they shall dwell in the land of the unprovable non-sequitor forever"

Old 04-12-2009, 01:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
We can choose to go after the pirates but attacking the country of Somalia would be criminal. Their country has nothing to do with this and would yield no benefits only dead on both sides.
Well -- the problem has been solved, 3 pirates getting their 40 virgins now.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:51 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Somalia is practically a failed state. They have no money to deal with these pirates. Their "govt" actually supports the efforts of various countries to curb these pirates. They have no objections to ships from US/UK/France/India/China entering their waters and dealing with pirates. Thru UN, they encouraged more international patrols and the allowed foreign ships into their waters. My guess is that the Somali gove will be thankful if we decide to enforce the law in their country. But, beware of getting involved with failed states - we have our hands full with Afghanistan and now Pakistan may be headed that way.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Great job to all involved in this rescue!

Old 04-12-2009, 01:54 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
The pirates are coming from where? Somalia. What is the Somali government doing to stop them? Nothing. If there is no viable government in place to stop a country from waging attacks against our flag, then WE enforce the law in that country - to the extent we seek and destroy the pirates, or at least blow them out of the water at sea.
Somalia really does not have a functioning government. The government sits in Mogadishu (during the times the control the city) and does not really have control anywhere else. There is a good chance these pirates are operating out of bases in areas where their is no government outside of village authorities or the local militia.

Fighting a war on piracy is like fighting a war on drugs, crime, poverty, terrorism or any other commodity, or abstract concept. It does not work.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:59 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times
Quote:
Haven't we had enough nation building. You're insane if you actually believe we could enforce the law Somalia. Go rent BlackHawk Down...That solution is a lost cause. Reviving Somalia must be worldwide cause if there's any chance of it working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies