Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that another 9/11 attack is coming?
Yes 22 55.00%
No 12 30.00%
Don't know 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:18 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times

Advertisements

Since 9/11, the United States and it's Allies have taken down the Islamic threats to a point that they haven't been able to attack us again to date.

Now our "War on Terror" is being dismantled, one stick at a time, either by good intentions that are not paying attention to history, or intentionally to attract another attack.

We are offering an olive branch to people that believe destroying us is part of their religious obligations and are not going to "Surrender" to us or anyone else. But by pretending that they are beaten and downtrodden we are putting ourselves in a position of having the "Trojan Horse" brought to us on a platter as if it was peace itself and that we appear to welcome it.

I believe that the next 9/11 will make this last one look like a "popcorn fart" to put it as basic as I can... and will cost the lives of hundreds of thousands at best and millions at the worst.

There is no difference between someone who straps on a small bomb and walks into a restaurant to kill themselves and dozens of people, to someone who floats a nuke into San Francisco or New York Harbor and sets it off with them pushing the button... They are just as dead and fully believe in their warped mind that they are on the way to a bunch of virgins.

History has a neat way of repeating itself over and over again, and nobody seems to remember yesterday, much less eight years ago.

What are your thoughts on it..

Last edited by starlite9; 04-12-2009 at 02:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 03:02 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,755,404 times
I think that, to an extent, you're overestimating the capabilities of terrorists. The doomsday scenario of a nuke in SF or NY is horrific and attention-getting, but it's far from probable. Nuclear weapons are very difficult to manufacture (well, technically, enriching a fissile material to the point at which it can create a bomb is the hard part), as evidenced by the number of states who try, and fail, to manufacture them. 9/11 was a major terrorist attack, and as far as we can tell, put a massive strain on the coffers of the Al Qaeda, one of the most powerful terrorist groups in the world. I don't believe that we are out of the woods, terrorist attacks will likely occur in the United States in the future, but I see smaller attacks as far more likely. To me, a likely and scary scenario is terrorists starting massive wildfires. It would be very easy, all they would have to do is wait for the winds to pick up drive down the freeway with a flare gun. With 20-40 poorly trained terrorists they could destroy thousands of homes and probably kill hundreds of people nation wide. It's a terrifying thought.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:43 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,470 times
Who knows, but Obama sure is weakening the home team and that makes the terrorists jobs real easy!

Old 04-12-2009, 04:57 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
I think that, to an extent, you're overestimating the capabilities of terrorists. The doomsday scenario of a nuke in SF or NY is horrific and attention-getting, but it's far from probable. Nuclear weapons are very difficult to manufacture (well, technically, enriching a fissile material to the point at which it can create a bomb is the hard part), as evidenced by the number of states who try, and fail, to manufacture them. 9/11 was a major terrorist attack, and as far as we can tell, put a massive strain on the coffers of the Al Qaeda, one of the most powerful terrorist groups in the world. I don't believe that we are out of the woods, terrorist attacks will likely occur in the United States in the future, but I see smaller attacks as far more likely. To me, a likely and scary scenario is terrorists starting massive wildfires. It would be very easy, all they would have to do is wait for the winds to pick up drive down the freeway with a flare gun. With 20-40 poorly trained terrorists they could destroy thousands of homes and probably kill hundreds of people nation wide. It's a terrifying thought.

And I'm sure we are all confident that Russia has not "lost" any nukes in the last 20 years....

Old 04-12-2009, 05:04 AM

27 posts, read 51,692 times
I would probably say no. General security and surveillance is a lot tighter now that it has ever been. But then I guess it's not 100%!

Old 04-12-2009, 06:18 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
I think the way the US handles the pirate issue will give terrorists an idea of what they can expect.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:30 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,851,443 times
starlite 9 wrote;
Quote:
Since 9/11, the United States and it's Allies have taken down the Islamic threats to a point that they haven't been able to attack us again to date.
Uh, no. Are you forgetting the attacks in Spain and England, and since we made Iraq a "target rich environment" they went there to attack us as we (idiotically-thanks Rumsfeld) failed to secure the borders after we invaded?

Quote:
Now our "War on Terror" is being dismantled, one stick at a time, either by good intentions that are not paying attention to history, or intentionally to attract another attack.
What part of our "war on terror is being "dismantled"? Are you referring to the recruiting tools that we created in Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib? Or maybe to the fact that after 3+ years of ineffectiveness and outright counterproductivity Bush finally started to get things right by listening to the "Council of Colonels"?

"Terrorism" is best fought through "police activities" not military action. That's actually axiomatic, but when an American politician suggest such a thing he is labeled as "aiding the terrorists".

Quote:
We are offering an olive branch to people that believe destroying us is part of their religious obligations and are not going to "Surrender" to us or anyone else.
Actually we are offering our MONEY to them to purchase their oil and having them come to Crawford to visit our President. Again, when someone suggests getting off of "oil" (notice I did not say mideast oil) they are shouted down by idiots shouting slogans!

golfgod

Old 04-12-2009, 07:36 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,838,183 times
With our overseas contingency plan losing support, I think the engineers of man-caused disasters will be looking for better man-caused structures to man-caused disasterize .

Old 04-12-2009, 07:38 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,838,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I think the way the US handles the pirate issue will give terrorists an idea of what they can expect.
They're not pirates. They're shipping experts who have a subspecialty in hostile takeovers and asset negotiation.

This new war on words is fun.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:09 AM

274 posts, read 197,502 times
Yep, yet this time its going to be an attack with alot of guns not planes, its quite obvious to me that obama wants guns banned and if he gets this attack say by some "domestic terror group" then he has 9/11 terror attack to ban guns then, bush got his 9/11 and he got to attack 2 countries and torture people and enact tyrannical laws on american citizens. BTW 9/11 was a set up and so will this one. I say within a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies