Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 01:09 PM

683 posts, read 825,196 times

Advertisements

New Documents Uncovered by Judicial Watch Show Congress Ignored Corruption at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac for Years | Judicial Watch

For those of you who want to continue blaming the Bush Administration....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 01:14 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
You can put lipstick on Barney Frank..but he's still Barney Frank.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:16 PM

683 posts, read 825,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
You can put lipstick on Barney Frank..but he's still Barney Frank.
Same with Pelosi!!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:18 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Who was the majority in Congress in 2003? I'm not sticking up for Frank - he obviously missed the ball on this - but claiming that a statement he made in 2003 is equivalent to blocking attempts at regulating Fannie and Freddie is ludicrous.

Did the Democrats filibuster these votes? If they didn't, then those Republicans who voted nay must take blame as well.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
The party was high in gear. Everyone was making money hand over fist.
Regulations were modified to enable the party to grow even larger allowing more people to join which in turn fueled the boom.

No one person could have allowed this to happen..the laws are not set up that way. The majority vote decided. Both sides of the coin are equally guilty of allowing the regulations to be relaxed and/or ignored to keep the good times rolling.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:24 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,247,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
What does accounting irregularities have to do with the financial crisis?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post

Did the Democrats filibuster these votes? If they didn't, then those Republicans who voted nay must take blame as well.

Absolutely. Though I dont think I've seen anyone say the Repubs shouldnt take blame. On the other hand I have seen plenty of people say it was 100% created and caused by the republicans and refuse to blame anyone else.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:33 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Who was the majority in Congress in 2003? I'm not sticking up for Frank - he obviously missed the ball on this - but claiming that a statement he made in 2003 is equivalent to blocking attempts at regulating Fannie and Freddie is ludicrous.

Absolutely. Nobody is blameless. We need to clean house and start all over again.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:07 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Absolutely. Though I dont think I've seen anyone say the Repubs shouldnt take blame. On the other hand I have seen plenty of people say it was 100% created and caused by the republicans and refuse to blame anyone else.
And I've seen people say it was 100% created by Democrats, which on its face is ridiculous because Republicans controlled both houses of Congress at the time.

I still don't know how Frank blocked the legislation. The OP did not explain that at all.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:18 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
These are old and papier-maché arguments. Rep. Frank was quite right in saying that there was no crisis at Fannie Mae, and the only people who thought there was one were those who were trying to use accounting irregularities to wedge the GSE's out of the lucrative secondary mortgage markets so that Republican friends at all those now-defunct Wall Street investment banks could take over more of that market share.

As for the crisis overall, there's no 100% to be assigned anywhere, but Republicans created and then fed the environment that fostered it, and did nothing at all in terms of tightening regulation in light of a rising crescendo of warnings. When the first signs of the crisis began to emerge, it was they also who were too timid in responding, wasting just about a year on unhelpful window-dressing approaches. Democrats could of course have been more outspoken in criticizing these shortcomings, but when you stand back and look at the whole ball of wax, this is a Republican baby through and through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies