Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If a Tea Party was held in Washington DC on July 4th would you attend?
Yes 35 28.46%
No, but I would attend a Tea Party near my home. 22 17.89%
No. Not at all. 59 47.97%
Other 3 2.44%
Not Sure 4 3.25%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Okay.

Where's the "massive tax increase?"
You mean besides the massive tobacco tax increase recently implemented, increasing taxes by more than 2,000% on loose-leaf tobacco? It will be coming in 2010, wait for it. Everyone who earns above a poverty level income will get a massive tax increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 01:05 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Alcohol and anger. There's a combination!
Weren't you just saying that you'd be riding through the mountains and drinking beer all day? Alcohol and driving. There's a combination! You're the type of rider that gives the rest of us a bad name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You mean besides the massive tobacco tax increase recently implemented, increasing taxes by more than 2,000% on loose-leaf tobacco?
There were two tobacco increases over 2,000%. The loose tobacco increase was over 2,100%, and the tax on "little cigars" rose over 2,600%.

Incidentally, these are the two largest tax increases in United States history.

Anyone that thinks that the spending that the government will be doing over the next decade can be paid for by reducing taxes on the middle class should keep whatever they're smoking to themselves - we don't need that stuff getting into the general population.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,610 times
The Tea Party Movement Goes to Capitol Hill on September 12, 2009
Sign up for the 09.12.09 Protest at the Capitol! | 09.12.09 National Taxpayer Protest

Many people at the Tea Parties are expressing their free speech about why they don't like Obama. It's not just his taxes. Obama and his hand-picked staff are doing many things wrong. They have their rights to express their dislike.

The funny thing is many of those expressing their dislike for Obama voted for him.

Free Speech is a beautiful Liberty.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:19 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Up to a 1,000 Tea Parties were held on April 15th with up to 1,000,000 Americans attending them.

If a Tea Party was held in Washington DC on July 4th would you attend?
I'm planning on it! I attended two here in MI and had a great time.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:40 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
No, because they're a big farce. They were marketed by Dick Armey's Freedom Works and Fox. Most of the people who attended had no idea what they were protesting.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:53 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
No, because they're a big farce. They were marketed by Dick Armey's Freedom Works and Fox. Most of the people who attended had no idea what they were protesting.
I guess you can answer for most people.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Generalize much? I'm anything but far-left, and I think the tea parties are ridiculous. They'd have much more credibility with me if they spoke up during the Bush years, but since they didn't, I can't see them in any other light than being strictly anti-Obama.
I totally agree. A neighbor told me he went to the one in Fort Myers. So I asked if he's still getting unemployment and applying for an extension. His mother makes $8 an hour at a dry cleaner and said "Obama is going to raise my taxes. He's going to give my money to all those people on welfare!"

Then another neighbor began complaining about all the bailouts. I said "But they began before Obama was in office, even before the election. Don't you remember when McCain said he had to put his campaign on hold to fly to Washington?" Still, no matter what you say, it's always Obama's fault even though he's been in office for 3 months.

The sad thing is that the people who need the stimulus money the most are being used as pawns in a rich man's chess game. People who are struggling are complaining about a stimulus package that will benefit the poor and the middle class. They are against a tax increase that effects a small percentage of wealthy Americans. What started out as a grassroots movement by Libertarians was hijacked by well organized corporate funded groups like Freedom Works and Americans For Prosperity.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:20 AM

80 posts, read 278,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
it would be dishonorable to protest on July 4th IMO

If it was just about any other day then yes
That's what July 4th was all about - Independence, Freedom & the right to protest & express your thoughts & disagree with your government without fear of reprisal or punishment - It's the perfect day for it - I'll try 2 be there...

Old 04-26-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongohateswinter View Post
That's what July 4th was all about - Independence, Freedom & the right to protest & express your thoughts & disagree with your government without fear of reprisal or punishment - It's the perfect day for it - I'll try 2 be there...
I'm sad to hear you don't enjoy freedom and independence. What country do you live in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post

The funny thing is many of those expressing their dislike for Obama voted for him.
Not true. Just another rumor by the Republicans and anti-Obama folks.
Well, it's late so I'll just post this new poll from the Associated Press.
[URL="http://www.politicalbase.com/profile/Mark%20Nickolas/blog/&blogId=7020"]http://www.politicalbase.com/profile/Mark%20Nickolas/blog/&blogId=7020[/URL]

"For the first time in years, more Americans than not say the country is headed in the right direction, a sign that Barack Obama has used the first 100 days of his presidency to lift the public's mood and inspire hopes for a brighter future."

Old 04-26-2009, 07:53 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Most of the people who attended had no idea what they were protesting.
Stop spending so much time at Kos and MoveOn. That crap is warping your mind.

I know exactly what I was protesting, and so did every single person I saw there. I don't know where you guys get this stuff. Oh, wait, yeah I do. Kos and MoveOn...

I find it extremely amusing that the people who are most vocally protesting the protesters are the least informed about what was being protested in the first place. They have no clue what was actually going on, and they use all kinds of name calling in virtually every argument, yet they're the "smart" ones and the people who were actually out there exercising their 1st Amendment rights are "pawns" and "didn't know why they were there."

You're hilarious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies