Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If a Tea Party was held in Washington DC on July 4th would you attend?
Yes 35 28.46%
No, but I would attend a Tea Party near my home. 22 17.89%
No. Not at all. 59 47.97%
Other 3 2.44%
Not Sure 4 3.25%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:22 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,337,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I'm planning on it! I attended two here in MI and had a great time.
There were a number of last minute Tea Parties formed. I attended one that had about 300 people and it was organized only two days before the party. My local congressman spoke and an state assemblyman spoke, who was a Democrat. He got the largest cheer.

It's a shame all these Lefties trash the parties, swearing that they know what is taking place. And then they try to relate them to some crazy sex act that many of them practice on each other. If someone said those same things, they would be screaming discrimination, bias, etc.

They just hate free speech coming from those who disagree with them.

I love seeing them get soooo upset about these parties. It just shows that the parties are working already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 03:38 PM

382 posts, read 590,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I totally agree. A neighbor told me he went to the one in Fort Myers. So I asked if he's still getting unemployment and applying for an extension. His mother makes $8 an hour at a dry cleaner and said "Obama is going to raise my taxes. He's going to give my money to all those people on welfare!"

Then another neighbor began complaining about all the bailouts. I said "But they began before Obama was in office, even before the election. Don't you remember when McCain said he had to put his campaign on hold to fly to Washington?" Still, no matter what you say, it's always Obama's fault even though he's been in office for 3 months.

The sad thing is that the people who need the stimulus money the most are being used as pawns in a rich man's chess game. People who are struggling are complaining about a stimulus package that will benefit the poor and the middle class. They are against a tax increase that effects a small percentage of wealthy Americans. What started out as a grassroots movement by Libertarians was hijacked by well organized corporate funded groups like Freedom Works and Americans For Prosperity.

Great Post. Your neighbors sound like the idol of the Republican Party. "Joe the Plumber." The guy who forgot about his tax liens and government welfare. Typical Republican. Clueless and Pathetic.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:44 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,144,099 times
How are they going to determine who's attending a tea party and who's just part of a captive audience--people simply saving a spot in the park to watch the fireworks? If you've ever been to DC on the 4th, you know that people have to pick their spots early in the day and then hang out.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:02 PM

382 posts, read 590,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
How are they going to determine who's attending a tea party and who's just part of a captive audience--people simply saving a spot in the park to watch the fireworks? If you've ever been to DC on the 4th, you know that people have to pick their spots early in the day and then hang out.
Exactly. Clearly its a way for the ignorant right to boast their numbers, since the last attempt failed compared to other protests. Like the Mexican American march out. I'm also confused at how the overall number (as the OP stated) went from around 250,000 to 1,000,000. Oh I forgot. They used the Neil Canvuoto method of "distorting the facts."

Old 04-26-2009, 10:20 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,027,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
That is a legitimate question in a lot of cities that have fireworks displays, including my little city of Louisville, Colorado. People get to the golf course hours before b/c there are booths selling food, playing music, etc. Also, Omaha, Nebraska has their fireworks at their baseball stadium after the game (Omaha Royals). The year we went, there were people there hours before the fireworks started; we watched the game on the jumbotron outside the stadium. So if the plan is for a national series of "Tea Parties" c u m fireworks, of course attendance numbers will be inflated.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:22 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,337,936 times
Default The Tea Parties numbers don't have to be inflated for July 4th

The Tea Parties numbers don't have to be inflated for July 4th. These little 'celebrations of free speech' are here to stay well pass July 4th.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,944 times
July the 4th is about our Independance, which obviously is the part some are not understanding. The tea parties are of course about being "taxed enough already" but it's also about our freedom and rights that are slowly being taken from us, so for me it's the perfect day to stand up for those that have died for this cause. In case you are not aware, do you know about the "VAT" tax or the "Trade and Cap" tax, if not you may find your other plans aren't that important after all! Please, do the research for the sake of this country and the economy!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:07 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,504,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karens77 View Post
July the 4th is about our Independance, which obviously is the part some are not understanding. The tea parties are of course about being "taxed enough already" but it's also about our freedom and rights that are slowly being taken from us, so for me it's the perfect day to stand up for those that have died for this cause. In case you are not aware, do you know about the "VAT" tax or the "Trade and Cap" tax, if not you may find your other plans aren't that important after all! Please, do the research for the sake of this country and the economy!
If you did your research you would have noticed that every "Tea Party Protest" since its inception in 1978 has taken place on April 15th in or preceding the year of a massive tax increase.

Independence Day is a day of celebration, not protests. Unless you truly hate the US, then I suppose you could protest the independence of the US from the British.

Those who want to protest on the 4th of July: 1) Really hate the fact that the US is no longer a British colony; or 2) is a complete idiot. Take your pick.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:14 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,994,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If you did your research you would have noticed that every "Tea Party Protest" since its inception in 1978 has taken place on April 15th in or preceding the year of a massive tax increase.

Independence Day is a day of celebration, not protests. Unless you truly hate the US, then I suppose you could protest the independence of the US from the British.

Those who want to protest on the 4th of July: 1) Really hate the fact that the US is no longer a British colony; or 2) is a complete idiot. Take your pick.
Well, opinions are like ***holes. Some people just have bigger ones.

Considering that some like myself believe the US is turning back into a British colony with a stronger central government and weaker state representation, along with creeping taxation without representation, a worthless currency, and nationalization of industries, those who'll join me on July 4th to protest this egregious behavior will be serving their country well.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,027,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karens77 View Post
What is the # of the bill proposing a VAT tax? Who is its sponsor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies