Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If a Tea Party was held in Washington DC on July 4th would you attend?
Yes 35 28.46%
No, but I would attend a Tea Party near my home. 22 17.89%
No. Not at all. 59 47.97%
Other 3 2.44%
Not Sure 4 3.25%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:39 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,589,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
People can do that any of the other 364 days of the year, with fewer crowds at the beaches and parks.
Exactly, that's just one day where we have off of work & everyone can get together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 12:41 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,893,508 times
July 4th agenda - attend Town parade, salute flag, look for Tea Party, smile in amusement and walk away.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:46 PM

479 posts, read 662,021 times
I think I may go to one to see what it's like.

Hopefully many others will do the same.

Power to the real American's! The rest of you America haters can take a flying leap!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:03 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,460,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Here's a webpage that will list some of the Tea Parties for July 4th.
Official Tax Day TEA Party, July 4th, 2009 I'm sure there will be other websites listing these "Freedom of Speech Celebrations."
So I clicked on the link above .... TeaPartyDay.com - very nice. And found this:
"The Tax Foundation says that because of unprecedented budget deficit over $1.5 trillion, it will take each individual until May 29 to pay their taxes this year. On May 30th, you begin working for yourself instead of your government. This is wrong! Join others in your hometown and across the country by participating in the American Freedom Day rally."
So far, so good. I'm not sure why an event happening on May 29th is going to be protested on July 4th, but fine.

So then I clicked on the link for American Freedom Day, and it took me to the Tax Foundation website, where one of the first things I see is this:
"Washington, DC, March 31, 2009 - Tax Freedom Day will arrive on April 13 this year, according to the Tax Foundation's annual calculation using the latest government data on income and taxes.

"This is eight days earlier than in 2008, and a full two weeks earlier than in 2007, for two reasons: (1) the recession has reduced tax collections even faster than it has reduced income, and (2) the stimulus package includes large temporary tax cuts for 2009 and 2010."
[1] Tax Freedom Day is earlier (and that's better) this year than the last two years, but did people "tea bag" in 2007 or 2008? No, FOX "News" wasn't upset then, but it sure as hell is now.

[2] So where did the May 29th date come from ... thin air? No, it gets even better. Again, from the Tax Foundation link:
"Tax Freedom Day moves somewhat independently from an alternative calculation that adds the federal budget deficit to total taxes collected. In 2009, an unprecedented budget deficit over $1.5 trillion produces a date of May 29."
Get that? Tax Freedom Day, as calculated by the same method followed by the Tax Foundation in the past, was April 13th, a date earlier (better) than the last two years. But that wouldn't work - it's hard to protest something that's better now than during the last two years.

So, they use "an alternative calculation" that throws in the federal deficit, and son-of-a-gun, they made a good thing look bad. Pretty clever, eh?

Of course, some people would say that changing the rules like that is cheating ... or even lying. But not me - I think they just can't help figuring out new ways to deceive the American people.

Sadly, it's working.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:08 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,386,366 times
Here's an interesting recent poll:
Quote:
Nearly 80 percent believe that the rising federal debt will hurt future generations, and Obama is getting mixed reviews at best for his handling of the issue. AP Poll: After Obama's 100 days, US on right track
Soooo - many people agree with the same issue as the focus of those who attended the Tea Parties.

Related to this & in the same poll:
Quote:
an Associated Press-GfK poll shows that 48 percent of Americans believe the United States is headed in the right direction — compared with 44 percent who disagree. AP Poll: After Obama's 100 days, US on right track
Whaaaat? Does this mean more people than not believe the US is headed in the right direction and they don't care how it will hurt their kids & grandkids?

BTW:
Quote:
More than 90 percent of Americans consider the economy an important issue, the highest ever in AP polling AP Poll: After Obama's 100 days, US on right track

Old 04-23-2009, 01:15 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,991,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Exactly, that's just one day where we have off of work & everyone can get together.
Exactly the reason I never go out to the overcrowded beaches and parks on July 4th. I like open spaces with fewer people. Crowds are good for protests and meetings, but never for vacation.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:16 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,991,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
July 4th agenda - attend Town parade, salute flag, look for Tea Party, smile in amusement and walk away.
Why waste your time looking for a tea party and risk getting harassed or worse? Go, enjoy your day on the overcrowded beaches and parks.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:18 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,954,772 times
I'll be there... Maybe not DC but at a "Tea Party".

Old 04-23-2009, 01:21 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,543,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
4th of July is a celebration of American freedoms first. The grills, shopping, etc. are secondary to what the day stands for...

Our freedoms give us a right to make those secondary things our priorities though.

But for many Americans, they are not our priorities these days.
Freedom of speech = good.

Freedom to enjoy the 4th as one desires = bad.

Yep, it's clear now.

I fully support your freedom to address the government. I hope you support my freedom to call it as I see it: A bunch of whining sore losers who hate Obama.

As to the 4th; I'll be riding up to Virginia City like I do every year. To me, the freedom to drink beer with all the other bikers is much more desireable than whining about who won the election.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:21 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,386,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
So I clicked on the link above .... TeaPartyDay.com - very nice. .
I also wondered about that and also read the Tax Foundation site. Agree they should be more clear about this.

For April 15 Tea Party - I found the main site to be TaxDayTeaParty.com - The Official Online HQ of the April 15th Tax Day "Tea Parties"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies