Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,319,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
So you were one of em crybaby Republicans huh?
After reading this thread, your no slouch in the crybaby department yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,846,822 times
every time I have been unhappy at a job, I found a new job. don't like what you are making, get a freaking promotion. when I was 18, I was delivering pizza to put myself through college. my car broke down, so you know what I did? I became a shift manager at 18. it was $11 per hour and this was 14 years ago.

Quote:
Soooo sorry that facts are whining to you.

So tell me how you would change this. I am curious.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,579,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
That is a very sensible approach, unfortunately the UFT in NY is so strong, the kids suffer so much it really contributes to people being turned off to unions.
Yeah. I agree and understand how Unions can damage other good things. This was just nuts.

However, there should be a line drawn in everything. Like for example, my professor. I have gone to this school for 3 years. Made Deans list EVERY TIME and this is the first professor I had to complain about. He is just...agh. You would NOT believe.

I talked to another professor about it today and he said that it might be hard to get rid of him because of the union. I am against that.

It is not fair to me and students to have to deal with this mans crap. You would pull your hair out.

There is so much proof against him. I went to the Dean and told her my complaint. She said she already had to talk to him because of SEVERAL other students complaining.

Why dont they look into it? Because of the union, maybe.

But if they investigate, I swear on my Burger King Career (:-D)that I and other students have so much EVIDENCE and proof this guy needs to go. It is sad sad sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Its called paying you're dues, sounds like you have enough experience to run you're own Burger King now. Read the book "Daves way" and "Behind the Golden Arches", stop pissing and moaning and go throw you're own nuts up on the chopping block and get you're own Burger King and then you can pay you're employees top dollar and full health care benefits for their homosexual partners, paid vacations, bonuses, the whole maryann, then get back to us and let us know how that's working out for ya!! Oh yeah, and how much you have to charge for you're double whoppers !
I was going to answer you with a full reply until I read that. Disgusting for you to mention that. As if straight partners dont get health care.

Disgusting.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:01 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,734,594 times
Quote:
Hello all,

As you may know, I began work at the age of 15. The first place I was ever hired into was Burger King.

Let me tell you something. That company gets away with so much law breaking and crimes that it is not even funny. I have worked for four years. I started working at $5.50 an hour 5 years ago. I left there, four years later making $7.75. Oh, the raises were only because min. wage was raised up. I was given one raise when I demanded it because they were always understaffed and gave me manager duties even though I was NOT the manager.

Minors are to have breaks. Burger King never gave them. And also, in Michigan, if you are working more than 8 hours, you have to have 2 breaks and a lunch. Do you think I got lunch? Yeah, if they felt like giving to me. I had to stand on my feet for 8 hours straight doing things for them and they could not even give me a lunch.

I busted my a$$ for them. Slacked the fries, took care of customers, did the drive-thru (Which was more hell than all the other responsibilities COMBINED at Burger King), cleaned their floors, cleaned their grease, TRAINED new people-even though I was not a manager, cooked their food, counted their waste, took out their garbage and cleaned the dining room and restrooms and more.

I had only called off on them three times in four years. I came to work, rain or snow.

Yet, they never gave raises. Instead, they gave pay CUTS. And when I asked for a raise, they looked at me like I was stupid. And then would say "Oh! We made $50,000 today!" $50,000 is a LOT of sandwiches that I and other crew had to make.

Dont tell me that they cannot afford to pay better for an employee that does so much for them. And even then, fine. I am 20 and I go to college and live at home. There were people who were trying to make ends meet on this horrible wage. I remember a co worker who had a child and her husband had to get his foot amputated. Did they have health insurance? Of course not. Burger King did not offer it at affordable wage.

My Burger King got robbed a half a year ago. Did they have any security for the employees to defend themselves? No. Just fake cameras. The robber had a gun to my managers head and demanded the money. A tornado hit my Burger King (And you guys are not going to believe this) and they HAD NO EMERGENCY LIGHTS. It was pitch black. My manager expected all of us to go in the back and save the food from rotting since the tornado had knocked out the power. Hah! Dont tell me Burger King cannot afford to have an emergency pack with a FLASHLIGHT.

They told me to get onions and Burgers from another Burger King OFF THE CLOCK. They told me that since I was not working technically, I had to clock out while driving (gas was around 4 a gallon then) to get things for THEM!

I have been working for Target. This is a BRAND NEW Target. I helped stock the shelves. Everyone here is very hardworking and wonderful. We get along very well and like each other.

I get a 100 percent on my speed score every week. My conversion (getting people to open up credit cards-which is hard in this economy) is higher than what they asked for. I am cross trained in all departments except one and the customers always compliments me to my managers.

I know several other employees who are good as well.

The raises we got? .10 cents. For doing everything we can..to HELP THEM make that $70,000 goal PER DAY....we get a .10 cent raise from making $7.40 an hour.

It is a CRIME that these companies make thousands upon thousands a day. Target pays crappy but at least they take care of us. They give us breaks and lunches on time and make sure we are doing good. But STILL!

Burger King needs some serious investigation.

They both need UNIONS to make sure these people who make $50,000-$70,000 a day don't pay their employees CRAP and treat them badly. In addition to that, they should make sure that each and every workplace is equipped in case there is an emergency.

Now I know what you are all thinking. "Why didnt you go get another job?" I tried. Especially because of my age, a lot of people did not want to hire me. Nobody was really hiring. I just finished my associate degree this month though.

I know a lot of Republicans on here say we need to work and work and work for our earnings but when is it enough? How do you expect Americans to get out of this cycle if they are getting paid like this? There is no doubt that they would end up on welfare and become a burden on taxpaying Americans.

I want to get ahead in life. But how do you all expect us too when we are getting paid around 5.95 an hour (after taxes) AND having to pay for car insurance, COLLEGE tuition, food, clothes and more? I remember several users on this forum making fun of 20 somethings still at home.

So tell me how you expect us to get ahead when we are being taken advantage off? This is exactly why we need labor unions. So then we wont be ripped to pieces and working for peanuts.
If you want it you'll find a way to do it.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:02 PM

18,225 posts, read 25,876,778 times
If management would treat workers right you wouldn't need unions.

19,890 posts, read 18,764,994 times
Quote:
I am going to school and applied for my associates a couple days ago. I was very happy

Let BK move! Maybe USA might be healthier.

Anyways, thanks for your post. I got a chuckle out of it.

On the other hand, when did you go to college because I cannot imagine $3.10 an hour?

Did you read anything I posted?

Reality check? Oh trust me. I know. I worked there for four years. Reality smacks you hard in the face!

I work at Target now where I said it is much better there. I am just talking about my exp from Burger King.

Please dont talk down to me.

Not all unions are out there to destroy things. Unions do have a good purpose. Some I admit do take it out of hand. Like this union for example.

But I do believe they are needed from my exp.
I agree unions are a necessary evil however they usually are more concerned with their own well being than their members. I have worked union jobs and gone on strike, I frequently felt that the strikes were for show and we didn't get a great deal out of going out on strike.

I have also been in management negotiating with unions, we had a circumstance where we offered them the same benefits as our non-union employees but they declined because they wanted us to use their benefits which were worse than our benefits and more expensive. The workers got screwed again.

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,846,822 times
if burger king unionized, I couldn't wait for my first $17 whopper.

Quote:
Yeah. I agree and understand how Unions can damage other good things. This was just nuts.

However, there should be a line drawn in everything. Like for example, my professor. I have gone to this school for 3 years. Made Deans list EVERY TIME and this is the first professor I had to complain about. He is just...agh. You would NOT believe.

I talked to another professor about it today and he said that it might be hard to get rid of him because of the union. I am against that.

It is not fair to me and students to have to deal with this mans crap. You would pull your hair out.

There is so much proof against him. I went to the Dean and told her my complaint. She said she already had to talk to him because of SEVERAL other students complaining.

Why dont they look into it? Because of the union, maybe.

But if they investigate, I swear on my Burger King Career (:-D)that I and other students have so much EVIDENCE and proof this guy needs to go. It is sad sad sad.

I was going to answer you with a full reply until I read that. Disgusting for you to mention that. As if straight partners dont get health care.

Disgusting.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:03 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,031,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Thank God we have unions that create a process like this. Not referring to you teach1234.

How To Fire An Incompetent Teacher
From my experience working in civil service, this isn't far from the truth. Tenure or seniority has its advantages especially for the good, hard working teachers but unions have placed so many obstacles that it is expensive and time consuming to fire an incompetent employee. It's even more pathetic when you realize that many kids will have their education jeopardized if they have the misfortune of being stuck in a class taught by an incompetent teacher.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:04 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,579,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
every time I have been unhappy at a job, I found a new job. don't like what you are making, get a freaking promotion. when I was 18, I was delivering pizza to put myself through college. my car broke down, so you know what I did? I became a shift manager at 18. it was $11 per hour and this was 14 years ago.
Ok. Listen to me.

Did you read ANYTHING I read?

I said I tried looking for a new job. I applied to 80 places (literally). Nobody is hiring. I got hired into Target finally after a year of searching. I live in MI and you know how bad it is up here.

Dont like what I am making get a freaking promotion? Please. Are you serious? You think they hand out promotions just like that? It would be better if you put a little thought into it. What if there were no promotions (in my case at Burger King)? Then what?

Maybe it was easy for you 14 years ago. It is not anymore.

Please before you post, consider other possibilities. You think I would not try as hard to get a better job after how much I just wrote about Burger King?

I go to college full time and work TWO jobs. Target and Bath and Body Works.

Dont even tell me that I am "whining" or not trying hard enough. If this is not good enough for you, then what is?

Old 04-20-2009, 09:04 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,595,268 times
Quote:
Did you read anything I posted?
no. i jumped into this thread entirely without reading, and was able to deduce by my magical powers of clairvoyance, that you were a young dude in michigan working at a fast food restaurant

Quote:
Reality check? Oh trust me. I know. I worked there for four years. Reality smacks you hard in the face!
so what, in your realistic world, was incorrect about what i said re: the lines of people who would love to have your crappy job?

Quote:
I work at Target now where I said it is much better there. I am just talking about my exp from Burger King.
yeah, i got that. my crystal ball sees all.

Quote:
Please dont talk down to me.
telling you to be realistic about your situation is hardly talking down to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies