Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:14 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,536,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Care about it all you want then...

But don't expect the companies you CHOSE to have dealings with have to bend to your desires.

Why is credit so needed unless you are(like we are now doing) living beyond your means?

It is funny but I remember when there were NO credit cards...what a horrifying thought that must be to millions of people....

Oz, sounds a little like your projecting here. No where in any of my posts on this subject has anything to do with your statement above. The question you posed is why care about your FICO score?
I noticed a response from you on another thread where you broke down how much you owe on your second mortgage and the hit you took on the value of your house. Unfortunately for your situation you are dependent on credit. Your FICO score is tied into that. So it would not be myself who is living beyond their means.

I applaud the President speaking to this companies (not sure if anything going to come out of it this year), but remember these discussions concerning credit card practices began while Bush was in office, hence the new law that will take effect next year. Now that banks like Wamu/Chase, Bofa are merging, they are slipping in hire credit card rates and its not only on new charges, their slipping in these hire rates on existing debt.

I make no excuses for those who live beyond their means, but at the same time these banks should not be given additional lead way on these practices especially after they've received taxpayers money.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:17 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,214,856 times
Quote:
Actually if you pay off your balances every month....why bother with a credit card in the first place?

And I agree about changing bad habits,it is a terrible thing to know you owe tens of thousands of dollars and have little to nothing to show for it.

Our dream is to never have credit again....
Let's see. Why bother with a credit card? Business travel. Renting cars. Making hotel reservations. Have you tried to rent a car lately without a credit card? Booking flights, etc., etc.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:21 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Oz, sounds a little like your projecting here. No where in any of my posts on this subject has anything to do with your statement above. The question you posed is why care about your FICO score?
No projecting,just trying to get people thinking about alternatives to credit cards and this idea you CANNOT live without them....

Quote:
I noticed a response from you on another thread where you broke down how much you owe on your second mortgage and the hit you took on the value of your house. Unfortunately for your situation you are dependent on credit. Your FICO score is tied into that. So it would not be myself who is living beyond their means.
Take not I stated we were living beyond our means...so is anyone who requires the use of credit cards to function...

Old 04-24-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Let's see. Why bother with a credit card? Business travel. Renting cars. Making hotel reservations. Have you tried to rent a car lately without a credit card? Booking flights, etc., etc.
A debit card will work I believe.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
A debit card will work I believe.
Not for renting cars with all car rental companies.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Have you heard of debit cards?

Old 04-24-2009, 10:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Sure have a card. If you have no balanace or pay in full each month then why care what the rate is ? You wouldn't be charged anything if you pay in full.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:54 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sure have a card. If you have no balanace or pay in full each month then why care what the rate is ? You wouldn't be charged anything if you pay in full.
Obviously correct.

Might I also suggest that one forget about banks entirely, and opt for credit unions, instead?

Freeing oneself from having to deal with banks is one of the most liberating (and personally responsible) things one can do.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Have you heard of debit cards?
Have you tried renting a car from a rental car company that will not take a debit card?

Old 04-24-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Have you tried renting a car from a rental car company that will not take a debit card?
Use a different rental company perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies