Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 05:46 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,708,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Pit bulls and bull dogs are hideous and sickening looking. As if they came right out of a demented horror movie. How could people nurture and love those awful things? Plus they go psycho at random times and bite people's fingers and faces off.
just move your eyes a few posts up this page to Mearth's post and realize how ignorant your post is.

so you find them ugly. who cares. lots of people find lots of breeds ugly. my dog is a type that my husband finds ugly and gross (scruffy terrier-type dog), but you know what? he somehow manages to love her anyway. incidentally, he actually thinks pits are much cuter.

as for "going psycho at random times", generally people who never saw an attack coming didn't know what to look for in the first place. and ANY BREED OF DOG can "go psycho at random times" or at not so random times. the woman who famously had a face transplant last year had her face bitten off by a lab. when i was a kid my family had a large terrier mix who got arthritis and would snap if he was surprised or touched in the wrong place. my sister was mauled by a german shepherd when she was 8 or so. my dad's best friend had a dachshund who was seriously vicious. a few years ago a baby was killed by a pomeranian, for goodness' sake.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:25 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,985,807 times
Quote:
Pit bulls and bull dogs are hideous and sickening looking. As if they came right out of a demented horror movie. How could people nurture and love those awful things? Plus they go psycho at random times and bite people's fingers and faces off.
So let's just declare certain beings unloveable as a society if a few people decide they're ugly and scary...

...are you really that audaciously shallow? I hope you're a troll, 'cause otherwise it scares me that people like you are allowed to live in this world.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:42 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,695,657 times
Quote:
I think chihuahuas are hideous looking.... but I know plenty of people who don't. I also think my APBT is absolutely adorable, and at nearly 6 years of age she STILL gets mistaken for a puppy. Even the vet looked at her teeth because he didn't believe she was nearing 'senior' age

I think you're thinking of the 'gotti' line pit bulls, which are NOT to breed standard in any way, shape or form and are bred by thugs. Do a quick search for 'Gotti pit bulls' and see what comes up... then look at a REAL APBT breeder and see what theirs looks like.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:53 AM

look at that hideous monster!

i do think the really sharkface looking pits are kind of freaky looking (i'm probably thinking of the gotti pits JetJockey is talking about), but i don't judge dogs by their looks.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:59 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,224,092 times
Folks need to calm down a bit here and stick to the topic without making this a personal flame war.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:38 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,130,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
So let's just declare certain beings unlovable as a society if a few people decide they're ugly and scary...

...are you really that audaciously shallow? I hope you're a troll, 'cause otherwise it scares me that people like you are allowed to live in this world.
Dogs are so much better than people . Can we outlaw certain types of people?
I have a list!

Pedophiles
dead beat dads
animal abusers ...

Old 09-24-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Dogs are so much better than people . Can we outlaw certain types of people?
I have a list!

Pedophiles
dead beat dads
animal abusers ...
Actually, just for the sake of responding, two of those people have at least had their behavior outlawed, and thanks to advances in DNA testing the other is easily brought to financial task, if nothing else.

Also, in line with what we're discussing on this thread, we should all be thankful that no people are judged to fit those despicable categories before the fact just because they share demographic labels with scoundrels who do fit those categories. We judge these people after their crime, not based on their potential due to superficially generic similarity with criminals that fit those labels.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Actually, just for the sake of responding, two of those people have at least had their behavior outlawed, and thanks to advances in DNA testing the other is easily brought to financial task, if nothing else.

Also, in line with what we're discussing on this thread, we should all be thankful that no people are judged to fit those despicable categories before the fact just because they share demographic labels with scoundrels who do fit those categories. We judge these people after their crime, not based on their potential due to superficially generic similarity with criminals that fit those labels.
well said.

we don't say "people with blood type o positive have a statistical tendency to be pedophiles, so we should put everyone with that blood type in jail".

and the stats would be based on media reports of people who kinda looked like they might be o positive committing these crimes, or hell, even if they're definitely A negative, let's report them as o positive cause those o positive pedophile stories scare people and sell papers. even if the pedophile is really a ferret. is my metaphor getting strained yet?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
well said.

we don't say "people with blood type o positive have a statistical tendency to be pedophiles, so we should put everyone with that blood type in jail".

and the stats would be based on media reports of people who kinda looked like they might be o positive committing these crimes, or hell, even if they're definitely A negative, let's report them as o positive cause those o positive pedophile stories scare people and sell papers. even if the pedophile is really a ferret. is my metaphor getting strained yet?
Thanks, and if you enjoy that point, you would get a kick out of my earlier posts on this forum, if you feel like searching through the mass diatribe.

This is also a good time to note another idea that's thrown in between the lines there. In a free society the law can only enforce, and from there, people who value their liberties have to put up with a degree of insecurity (those who don't understand that concept can look up Social Contract theory). Personal responsibility is valuable to freedom and should be rewarded therein.

So... why should responsible dog owners (and their well-trained [i.e., self-restrained]) dogs suffer for the mistakes of idiots and the unfortunate animals who borrow their inhumane influence?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:20 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,149,107 times
I have no ideas as to how this thread has stayed at the top of the food chain, but I heard a great piece on NPR's Fresh Air, an interview with John Goodwin of the Humaine Society and Sean Moore a former dog fighter.

Fresh Air from WHYY : NPR

PS- I don't have a dog in this fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies