Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,162,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Link? Why do you need a link? Do you not have a radio or TV?
Little late there buddy. Check the time-stamp...I asked for that link when it hadn't even hit the airwaves yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:58 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,587,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I was actually astounded by this when I heard it, let's just hope he keeps the party's ideals in mind.
He will probably just continue to vote as he has in the past - which is to the left of most of the Republican party... but no where near as far left as a Kennedy...

The major effect of his party change is to potentially give Democrats a fillibuster-proof majority.

Given that the Republicans are 100% pure obstructionists at this point in time, and just say NO to everything the Democrats and Obama want to do - I think that this is a GOOD thing...

Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I wonder if you thougt this when so many Democrats left the Party for the Republican Party not too many years ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Which democratic politicians are you referring to? And what office did they hold? A mayor switching parties might matter to his town, but isn't really a big issue to most people. A senator is a big deal.
Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell of Colorado was elected as a Democrat in 1992 (after serving 3 terms as a US Rep from CO) and became a Republican in 1995. He was re-elected as a Repbulican in 1998.

Ben Nighthorse Campbell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 PM

20,305 posts, read 37,259,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
MSNBC is reporting that they just confirmed with his staff that Senator Arlen Specter will be switching parties from Republican to Democrat.

This, along with Al Franken, will give Democrats a filibuster-proof 60 votes!
If I were a Republican, I would say "good riddance!" That guy has always been a total waste, and according to the news he had to switch because he could not even win the next primaries. By switching he has a great chance to continue in power.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:54 AM

I agree - he was never really a conservative anyhow - he's always leaned more towards the left...

However, he should have an easy victory in the next general election. Democrats outnumber Republicans by a fair and growing margin in Pennsylvania, and I am positive the DNC will give him plenty of financial support to assure a victory...

In the meantime, his switching to the Democratic party, combined with an impending Franken victory in MN, will give Democrats 60 Senators - a very significant change in the balance of power...

Given how the Republicans are complete obstructionists - and the party of NO - I'd say that is a good thing!!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:09 AM

439 posts, read 617,766 times
Another Communist joins Obama's Marxist party. Big deal.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
Another Communist joins Obama's Marxist party. Big deal.
ROFLMAO!!!

I LOVE watching the extreme-right die a hate-filled, vengeful, frustrating, hopeless slow death!!!

This must be eating them up alive inside!!! I'm sure they are getting all riled up by the true GODS Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Bortz, et al - trying to spin this further defeat for their party into some type of empty moral victory and renewed hatred against Obama, the left, and the nation!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,126,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell of Colorado was elected as a Democrat in 1992 (after serving 3 terms as a US Rep from CO) and became a Republican in 1995. He was re-elected as a Repbulican in 1998.

Ben Nighthorse Campbell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fair enough, and an interesting example. From what I understand, he served three years then in 1995 became republican, in part due to disagreement with Clinton's fiscal policies and what he saw as a "War on the West" from environmentalists. So yes, that probably was seen as a slap in the face. It may not have had quite the same historic impact as Specter's switch but Campbell did have some importance, he chaired the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs. So I'm sure it stung a little.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:10 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,987,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Apparently thinking for yourself is unacceptable in the Republican Party, so I sure as hell don't understand the point of this post.
Thinking for yourself is against either party's mantra. If you don't agree with the Democratic agenda, you're marginalized as an extremist. No one wants to think of themselves as an outsider, so it's understandable based on herd mentality to shift one's beliefs towards this narrow vision...to belong.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:21 AM

38,075 posts, read 22,234,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
MSNBC is reporting that they just confirmed with his staff that Senator Arlen Specter will be switching parties from Republican to Democrat.

This, along with Al Franken, will give Democrats a filibuster-proof 60 votes!
Theoretically it will, but Specter has been on their side for a very long time, and lots of blue dog democrats will not be so easily lead along by the leash.

This will be the end of Specter, republicans wont vote for him, and democrats want a real democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies