Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:16 PM

471 posts, read 587,252 times

Advertisements

Everyone wants a universal health system but no one wants to let everyone else know who and how it will be paid for? Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 03:21 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
Everyone wants a universal health system but no one wants to let everyone else know who and how it will be paid for? Anyone?
How's the current system funded? That would be a good starting point to start thinking about it, then come back with a little more than one liners, a few thoughts of your own to share.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:23 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:

There are several ways it could be paid for all too complex to go into on some internet board.

All the money we spend on War.. all the money we spend on wasteful things we certainly can find a way to fund something that is beneficial to all and to this country.

To say otherwise is just a lazy excuse.

There are several models of socialized healthcare in other developed nations that find ways to treat their ill while also keeping the GDP spending on healthcare down WAY below what the U.S spends on healthcare right now.

Where there is a will there is a way!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Out of yours, mine, and everyones pockets. If there were to be a UHI system (which IMO there will not be), you would see a significant decline in your net disposable income.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:36 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Letters 04/28/09

Letters 04/28/09 - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/309/story/1165618.html - broken link)
A great OP. Thank you for sharing it.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
How's the current system funded? That would be a good starting point to start thinking about it, then come back with a little more than one liners, a few thoughts of your own to share.
You're a joke. Its fun to watch people wiggle around the answer. Of course I know where it comes from. Its far more fun to see people like you start to twist and spin and insult instead of just calling it what it is. yet a another welfare system. I paid about 80k in total deductions(FICA, SS, Medicare, Fed tax) and as long as I do people out there who pay little or none will continue to vote people into office who don't mind spending my money that they didn't have to earn themselves. Unfortunately there are far more pay nothing benefit from everything citizens in this country than ones like myself. YOU PEOPLE are not entitled to my paycheck or any part of it. Enjoy your welfare system tho. I have tried to appeal to the pride, honor , and dignity of some of you , but it is sadly apparent that you would rather nurse on the federal teet than man up and do something yourself. Enjoy the BamBam0084, hardworking, "rich evil people" funded health care system. And as one person mention of the UK health care, maybe we can have their 50% top tier tax rate as well.

Oh and not to forget...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Your rant makes no sense to me whatsoever. It's your perogative to not believe what has been said but I think it's pretty silly to argue about a hypothetical. As it stands, the plan on only mandates coverage for children. If you don't want to buy into the government plan, you don't have to. If you have a private employer plan, you stick with it. Sounds pretty simple to me but you can continue to chase your windmills.
Its there if you want it, but if you don't thats OK too. BUT! Still gotta fund it.

Or say but but but... the WAR! Bush was DUMB! You can't poke holes in my argument or ill bring up something bad the last president did to JUSTIFY!!!!!!!! this president making mistakes. Amazing.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:01 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
I think we should just eliminate healthcare. The species as a whole would be better off.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:10 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
You're a joke. Its fun to watch people wiggle around the answer. Of course I know where it comes from. Its far more fun to see people like you start to twist and spin and insult instead of just calling it what it is. yet a another welfare system. I paid about 80k in total deductions(FICA, SS, Medicare, Fed tax) and as long as I do people out there who pay little or none will continue to vote people into office who don't mind spending my money that they didn't have to earn themselves. Unfortunately there are far more pay nothing benefit from everything citizens in this country than ones like myself. YOU PEOPLE are not entitled to my paycheck or any part of it. Enjoy your welfare system tho. I have tried to appeal to the pride, honor , and dignity of some of you , but it is sadly apparent that you would rather nurse on the federal teet than man up and do something yourself. Enjoy the BamBam0084, hardworking, "rich evil people" funded health care system. And as one person mention of the UK health care, maybe we can have their 50% top tier tax rate as well.

Oh and not to forget...

Its there if you want it, but if you don't thats OK too. BUT! Still gotta fund it.

Or say but but but... the WAR! Bush was DUMB! You can't poke holes in my argument or ill bring up something bad the last president did to JUSTIFY!!!!!!!! this president making mistakes. Amazing.

Before you start posting dribble.. you might want to arm yourself with information regarding the UK funded healthcare system

first off.. they pay 11% tax toward their health fund and employers contribute a percentage as well (I believe it is around 12%). That's FAR LESS than 20% plus of the income paid out of pocket either on the self employed individuals side or the employers side (If you take the average household income and the average family size of 4..healthcare equals over 20% of a families income). In the UK it's a specific "tax" that British citizens pay that is dedicated to the health fund alone.. As for what other taxes they pay.. THAT has NOTHING to do with their healthcare system, but rather their other functions of government.

You do realize that the citizens of the UK also pay a tax to "keep" the royal family .. don't you?

AND.. EVERY UK citizen has healthcare AND the UK spends FAR LESS of their GDP on healthcare than we do.. and we still have 47 million plus (of which 80 % are actual citizens while 20% are either illegal or legal residence but not citizens) that do not get or have access to affordable healthcare..yet we managed to spend so much more on healthcare.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Before you start posting dribble.. you might want to arm yourself with information regarding the UK funded healthcare system

first off.. they pay 11% tax toward their health fund and employers contribute a percentage as well (I believe it is around 12%). That's FAR LESS than 20% plus of the income paid out of pocket either on the self employed individuals side or the employers side . In the UK it's a specific "tax" that British citizens pay that is dedicated to the health fund alone.. As for what other taxes they pay.. THAT has NOTHING to do with their healthcare system, but rather their other functions of government.

You do realize that the citizens of the UK also pay a tax to "keep" the royal family .. don't you?

AND.. EVERY UK citizen has healthcare AND the UK spens FAR LESS of their GDP on healthcare than we do.. and we still have 47 million plus (of which 80 % are actual citizens while 20% are either illegal or legal residence but not citizens) that do not get or have access to affordable healthcare..yet we managed to spend so much more on healthcare.
When I stated the 50% tax I was speaking of it as a total tax. Not a specific part paid to their health care alone. I know what the facts of it are. I can google search too. I was simply stating that along with government banks, car companies, AND tax payer funded health care I cant seem seem to find any other way for us to pay for all of this with out the taxes on the top wage earners to move toward the 50% mark. Especially since we are giving rebates to bottom end tax payers and those not paying any taxes at all.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:22 PM

304 posts, read 888,847 times
Aw heck, there you go wanting to pay for this new healthcare system. Just foist it on the taxpayer. What's another tax, they'll never notice! heck they should be thrilled to contribute to the welfare of others.

Now a question for the bleeding hearts out there, is this new health care the evil taxpayer is paying for that treats everything from cowlicks to defective heart valves and provides free prescription meds, counseling, and wellness seminars, is this system available to taxpayers only?

Citizens only?

Will you serve illegal immigrants (or whatever the politically correct term is today)?

What about drug users? Smokers? Alcoholics who need new kidneys? Overweight people?

What about a teenager who hasn't paid much in tax? Or old people? Sure they've contributed a lot of money, but statistically they won't live long anyway. Will you be using extraordinary measures to save the 98 year old grandma who smokes two packs a day and drinks a quart of whiskey?

If we're going to do this, let's do it right. Since I'm paying for it, who all gets to participate?

Before I suffer whiplash again, just a simple answer that defines the beneficiary of this new plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies