Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 11:26 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And saying abortion 'should' be illegal merely because YOU think so IS NOT a valid argument.

You have otherwise yet to present any compelling, FACT based evidence.
My entire definition is fact based. Which part isn't? 780 posts, and nobody has yet to answer that question.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:27 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Abortion will never be outlawed. What we should be doing is educating our children, try to stop these unwanted pregnancies. I will never forget how Sarah Palin used her daughters pregnancy during her campaign. Stood her daughter and boyfriend on stage like some kind of diploma.
Pregnancy is a serious subject but is not addressed enough. With todays contraception there is absolutely no excuse for 99% of the unplanned pregnancies. The issue of abortion would be virtually non existant in the USA.
Although I support banning abortion in most cases and do not necessarily think abortion will NEVER be outlawed (I understand Roe v. Wade is still in force, but judicial activism is and always will be a factor as well...not to mention the fact that the percent of Americans who are pro-life and pro-choice is almost exactly 50-50), I do agree wholeheartedly that we need to attack the problem of unplanned pregnancies.

If unplanned pregnancies could go down by 99% and other options (adoption, advances in medical treatment during pregnancy/childbirth, etc.) could be made easier, the issue would likely go away for the most part on its own.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Abortion is NOT illegal because it is NOT murder...SIMPLE!

LOL. That's even stupider. Murder is a legal term. You're talking in circles.

Are you saying that allowing a person to die who is alive but in a coma and kept alive by machines is murder?

No. We were nowhere near discussing that topic. Where did you get that I said it?

The cells at the beginning of pregnancy have no viable life..are not yet even specific cells... a formed baby or person is. BIG DIFFERENCE!

"Viable life". There you go again with the made-up hoodoo. All life is "viable".

Old 05-06-2009, 11:35 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Although I support banning abortion in most cases and do not necessarily think abortion will NEVER be outlawed (I understand Roe v. Wade is still in force, but judicial activism is and always will be a factor as well...not to mention the fact that the percent of Americans who are pro-life and pro-choice is almost exactly 50-50), I do agree wholeheartedly that we need to attack the problem of unplanned pregnancies.

If unplanned pregnancies could go down by 99% and other options (adoption, advances in medical treatment during pregnancy/childbirth, etc.) could be made easier, the issue would likely go away for the most part on its own.
I agree with you about pregnancy. I do think that strict guidlines should be in place for abortions and 12 weeks should be the cut off point. There is no way that unwanted pregnancies will stop but we can try to make sure that it is not done once the cells have formed into a actual fetus.
To have a pregnancy continue no matter what suffering the child will be born into is wrong on so many levels. Aborted cells are much preferable to abused children.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am PRO CHOICE because I do not believe anyone but the woman has the right to say what she should do with her body. This is where the defense of individuality is defined. I defend the woman’s right to choose as an individual.

Yawn. Women have no right to choose whether someone else lives or dies.

I also think sex education, including birth control, should be taught in both public and private schools as part of basic public health classes. Young women and men need to be told the facts of sex, reproduction, birth control and abortion. It is too important a topic to be left to religious dogma or political preference.

When you have sex talk without a moral basis, all you get is more promiscuity. Africa has had three decades of liberal programs like you describle. Their AIDS crisis is worse than ever. Why do liberals insist on taking failed policies and redoubling them?

As far as killing potential humans is concerned, I think this is just a straw man brought into the debate for emotional effect.

No such thing as a potential human. More leftwing hokum. An organism is either is human or it isn't. It either is alive or it isn't.

Humans kill other humans with great abandon if you just take a second to look at the history of war. We have been killing people forever and show no sign of stopping.

Oh. Well that's a good reason to have abortions. Because people kill all the time anyway. Brilliant.

I wonder if the anti-abortion politics is driven by the warmongers need for a continuous supply of warm teen age bodies to sacrifice to Mammon’s grand theft. Maybe they just want a continuous supply of the young and foolish to fall for the “save your soul by making a payment to the church fraud”.

In any case I cannot get pregnant and I am not about to tell someone that can what they are supposed to do with their body.
Wow. A litany of leftwing kook talking points.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I agree with you about pregnancy. I do think that strict guidlines should be in place for abortions and 12 weeks should be the cut off point.

Who the hell are you to make a pronouncement like that? "Anyone less than 12 weeks, DEAD". Are you God?

There is no way that unwanted pregnancies will stop but we can try to make sure that it is not done once the cells have formed into a actual fetus.

And when do the cells "form into an actual fetus"?

To have a pregnancy continue no matter what suffering the child will be born into is wrong on so many levels. Aborted cells are much preferable to abused children.
How the hell do you know what a child will be born into and what it's life will be like. And if the child does grow up with obstacles, how do you know it won't overcome them and accomplish great things? How dare you decide to kill the child preemptively? Do you wish someone had made the same decision for you?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote.. Eeeee22895

"Wow. A litany of leftwing kook talking points"

What has politics got to do with this? This is a personal choice and problem..... Politics have no place in this argument.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:57 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
As someone who personally had to make a decision to abort my child and save my wifes life, or keep her on life supports and allow our child to be born, I can tell you it is one of the most agonizing decisions a person can ever make.

Our child turns 39 years old this year. His mom would be very proud of him.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I personally think abortion is an abhorent act. But I'll never be pregnant, either. So, my opinion on someone else's pregnancy is irrelevant. So is yours. Stay out of someone else's womb.
I personally think rape is an abhorrent act, but I'll never be raped, either. So my opinion on someone else's rape is irrelevant. So is yours. Stay out of it if a man wants to rape.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
How the hell do you know what a child will be born into and what it's life will be like. And if the child does grow up with obstacles, how do you know it won't overcome them and accomplish great things? How dare you decide to kill the child preemptively? Do you wish someone had made the same decision for you?
ok good point.
Example..... Mother.... Crack head. Father violent and abusive..... Already had two children taken into care and one menatally disabled at birth from drug abuse of mother Living in a squalid filthy dump.. All their money goes on drugs.
Now i wonder how the next baby will turn out or be treated???????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies