Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 10:48 AM

38,070 posts, read 22,230,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellicose View Post
Gays have the same rights as everyone else. Voting, freedom of speech (like those weird Gay Pride Parades), can bare arms, can own property, get married in DC, get employed, they live just like hetreosexuals.

I don't know what all gays are complaining about.
Anyone can have their marriage performed by whoever they want, its just a ceremony where the two people pledge themselves to each other, and its not even the same ceremony, with the same exact meaning from one religion to another.

People could even just forgo any sort of "marriage ceremony" altogether, as some atheists do, and just pledge their lives to each other and live together. So where are gays denied any of this?

The only time marriage became something else, was when people formed societies, and the vast majority in those societies set the norms of what they considered as acceptable. Most societies disallowed siblings and close relatives, or people of the same sex from inter marrying; you could still could do it, but the local society would ostracize you.

So gays can only blame society for not climbing on board with the various forms of marriage that they deem as improper, and they do not accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 10:58 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,920,284 times
Quote:
Gays have the same rights as everyone else. Voting, freedom of speech (like those weird Gay Pride Parades), can bare arms, can own property, get married in DC, get employed, they live just like heterosexuals.

I don't know what all gays are complaining about.
Once again, and conveniently ignored by the homophobes, is that gay people can be fired from jobs or evicted from a rental if their employer/landlord find out they are gay. They can be the best worker in the world or the tenants that pay their rent every month/are quiet/respectful and still can get kicked out into the streets. When is the last time somebody has been fired for being straight? When is the last time somebody was kicked out of an apartment for being straight? Yeah we have nothing to complain about

Old 04-08-2010, 11:15 AM

694 posts, read 746,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
How about a consenting gay couple cannot marry? A consenting heterosexual couple can.
These are simply the rules in many states. In Tennessee (where I am), we have put a ban of gay marriage into our Constitution, as have several other states. The only rights ANYONE has are the rights that they are allowed to have. The U. S. Constitution states several rights we have, but the others are what the majority of people in that voting area decide.
You might say that isn't fair, but everyone is subject an unfairness everythime any decision is made.

As far as gays in the military, I don't understand. They should be able to fight for their county and have access to any benefits the military has to offer.

Charles

Old 04-08-2010, 11:26 AM

694 posts, read 746,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Once again, and conveniently ignored by the homophobes, is that gay people can be fired from jobs or evicted from a rental if their employer/landlord find out they are gay. They can be the best worker in the world or the tenants that pay their rent every month/are quiet/respectful and still can get kicked out into the streets. When is the last time somebody has been fired for being straight? When is the last time somebody was kicked out of an apartment for being straight? Yeah we have nothing to complain about
That is REALLY bad. In most, if not all, places that is illegal, but it still happens. All they have to do is to come up with some other reason. In Tennessee, being a right to work state, you can fire for any reason (unless protected) or for no reason.

If they want to get rid of you, all they have to do is watch you closely and add up a lot of little BS things and pow - your gone! it really SUCKS!

Charles

Old 04-08-2010, 11:29 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,241,660 times
what rights do straight people have that gays do not?

Only right I can come up with is the collected right to get drunk, experiment and forget.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:49 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,471,192 times
You do not make plain sense period. The marriage arguement is one of the biggest, if you cannot see this, that is your problem,.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:28 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,363,038 times
You think "marriage" doesn't count 'cause they can marry someone of the opposite sex, just like you?

Turn it around. . . gay is the norm. . . do you want a world where you could only marry another person of the same sex. . . this time YOU are the 10 percent rather than the 90 percent. How does that feel to you. . . . .?

Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 PM

604 posts, read 751,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
A couple of small points:

1. You are absolutely wrong when you claim that a biological explanation for homosexuality has been disproven.

2. The law in the United States is not, and never has been, based on the bible. I'll be willing to start adopting law based on biblical precepts as soon as you get the Congress to prohibit the eating of pork and shellfish, prohibit the wearing of clothing made of two different fibers, requiring that blasphemers be executed, requiring that the penalty for rape will be that the rapist must marry his victim, and embodying every other law set forth in your bible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yes, US Law is based on English Common Law.

Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I'm for enforcing the biblical (new testament) law that women can't wear gold. How would you like that one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Serving in the military is not a right, many people are disqualified from joining the military. Try again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
ROFL...you must be kidding!

I'll bet you'd probably be upset at 'bare arms' too!
Quote:
Which reminds me that they can't join the military either, and I think it is best if they did not.
Lets try this again. We're arguing over gay rights, not about the Bible.
Twins, one was gay, one wasn't.
No difference in genetics.

Is not based on the Bible, but the founding Fathers believed in it, and morale standards are sometimes set by it.

"I'll be willing to start adopting law based on biblical precepts as soon as you get the Congress to prohibit the eating of pork and shellfish, prohibit the wearing of clothing made of two different fibers, requiring that blasphemers be executed, requiring that the penalty for rape will be that the rapist must marry his victim, and embodying every other law set forth in your bible.[/quote]" What Bible are you reading??

Again, women can't wear gold?? Where's the "gays don't have rights" arguement?

Actually the Founding Fathers intended everyone would have a religion, but Freedom to choose between which religion, thats what they meant by freedom of religion...

I'm not saying the Constitution is based on the Bible, I'm saying it has many similar laws.

Anyways, will someone answer my previous questions?

Why do we have to make a special law for them to marry?
If it was natural, wouldn't there already be a law?

Leviticus 18:22
"Do not lie with a man, as one lies with a woman"

Again, I don't wish to insult anyone by this.

Honestly, I think we have too many rights as is...

Old 04-08-2010, 09:08 PM

604 posts, read 751,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post

I don't mean to be rude, but its because straight is normal..

Honestly, we hardly hear about gays in our history, when did people start becoming gay? and answering my other questions, as to,
"Why we have to make a special law for gay marriage?"

All our other rights are "basic un-deniable rights"

Because its un-natural??

Old 04-08-2010, 09:59 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,118,835 times
Ahhhhh....the ever-popular Leviticus 18:22......too bad this "holiness code" doesn't really apply to homosexuals, but to priests only, as its intent was to set the priests of Israel over and against priests of other cultures.

What the Bible Says - And Doesn't Say - About Homosexuality (http://www.soulforce.org/article/homosexuality-bible-gay-christian - broken link)

But this isn't a religious argument. Rights are based on Constitutional Law, not Biblical Law.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that we don't want special rights....just EQUAL RIGHTS.

I fully believe that ALL people should be LEGALLY married by civil union. The church and state should be separate in this. If you want a religious ceremony, fine....find a church to meet that need. But the legal union should be a CIVIL matter.

Gays and lesbians are denied 1138 state and federal rights by marriage that are afforded to heterosexuals. How can anyone say that is fair or equal? And how can anyone with a working brain actually say that we aren't being discriminated against?

"Honestly, we hardly hear about gays in our history, when did people start becoming gay?"

Ummmm....in biblical times. And no gays in our history? How about;

Socrates (470-399 B.C.) Greek Teacher and Philosopher
Plato (427-347 B.C.) Greek Teacher and Philosopher
Alexander The Great (356-323 B.C.) Macedonian King and Military Leader
Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519) Italian Renaissance Artist, Teacher, Scientist and Inventor
Michelangelo (1475-1564) Italian Renaissance Artist and Sculptor
Julius III (1487-1555) Catholic Pope....YES....a Pope!!!!
Chief Crazy Horse (Tashunca witco) (1849-1877) Oglala Sioux Chief
Tennessee Williams (1914-1983) Euro-American Dramatist

....just to name a few (here's a more complete list in case you need it Gays and Lesbians in History )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies