Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 01:41 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times

Advertisements

Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics2/69_of_gop_voters_say_republicans_in_congress_out_o f_touch_with_the_party_base - broken link)

Quote:
Sixty-nine percent (69%) say congressional Republicans have lost touch with GOP voters throughout the nation. These findings are virtually unchanged from a survey just after Election Day.

Among all voters, 73% say Republicans in Congress have lost touch with the GOP base.

Seventy-two percent (72%) of Republicans say it is more important for the GOP to stand for what it believes in than for the party to work with President Obama. Twenty-two percent (22%) want their party to work with the President more.
This does not mean becoming dem-lites.

Quote:
In January, 56% of all voters said the Republican Party should return to the views and values of President Ronald Reagan to be successful. Eighty-five percent (85%) of Republican voters agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 01:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics2/69_of_gop_voters_say_republicans_in_congress_out_o f_touch_with_the_party_base - broken link)

This does not mean becoming dem-lites.

Looks like you got a little conflicted about posting this thread.

So, what does it mean Sanrene? The GOP representatives aren't crazy enough?

Old 05-02-2009, 01:46 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
I love how Rasmussen is used as the standard by the anti-Obama crowd. It's the one poll that is biased toward their side. Not even Fox News polls give them the results they want anymore.

You've got to look at an average of all polls if you want more a more definitive picture of what's going on.

Pollster.com - 2008 Election Polls, Trends, Charts and Analysis

Old 05-02-2009, 01:48 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Seems like they have a learning disability. They want to go back to the good ol' days but those days CREATED today. Do they want to make the same mistakes because they don't like the ones being made now under different leadership?

None of this is a solution. Been there, done that. The conservatives need to offer something that works and not conveniently erase recent history to justify more of the same.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:59 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,974,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The conservatives need to offer something that works and not conveniently erase recent history to justify more of the same.
Bush was a liberal as far as the eye could see, so when you blame Bush, you blame liberals.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Bush was a liberal as far as the eye could see, so when you blame Bush, you blame liberals.
Oh my god... And down is up and up is down.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:11 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,974,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Oh my god... And down is up and up is down.
What about his insane spending policies was conservative?

Other than talking a big game about abortion and stem cells, I don't think you can come up with any sort of evidence he was actually conservative.

Hint: War is a liberal philosophy

Old 05-02-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
What about his insane spending policies was conservative?

Other than talking a big game about abortion and stem cells, I don't think you can come up with any sort of evidence he was actually conservative.

Hint: War is a liberal philosophy
Interesting. The polls showed that most Republicans approved of the job he was doing up until the last year.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
I'm an anti-war conservative...I wish some GOP leaders would listen to how the majority of us feel.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:26 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Kind of what many of us have been saying for a long time, that today's GOP bears no resemblance to the great days of the past, when truly outstanding men led the way (Goldwater, Eisenhower, Dirksen, Lodge, Nelson Rockefeller, Buckley, et al).

The days are long gone when GOP leaders considered it was elemental to do family planning and not bring forth a child one could not support (Goldwater was PROUD that his wife worked for Planned Parenthood).

The days are long gone when the GOP's love of higher learning and intellectualism were not dismissed in favor of the mythology of religion as worshiped by masses of barely literate racist rednecks.

Reagan was okay in my book, I voted for him twice, and I voted for John Warner many times too, and sent John money. Reagan looks good now primarily for three reasons: (1) People remember him; (2) He was a good speaker, not a doofus like Bush or a bully like Cheney; and (3) Reagan looks like a gentle fatherly saint compared to the horror of the past 8 years.

The GOP of my childhood is gone. It has been largely replaced by a mob of unruly, stupid, hypocritical, bible thumping yahoo's who are bent on dominating the nation and forcing a theocracy on us. Not if I can help it.

I saw a stat the other day that broke down the voting public this way:
- 36% Independent
- 34% Democrat
- 30% Republican

IMO, there IS a third party out there - now. A party of the center that does not self-identify with the wingnuts of the GOP right or the extreme what-evers of a DEM left wing. I really cannot discern a notable sentiment these days on the far left. IMO, the old FAR left is as dead and gone as the Great Society, Welfare liberals, et al, it's hard to find anyone clamoring for that stuff as party platform.

IMO, both extremes are out of touch. The extreme right is easily defined, we see them clearly as the wingnuts they are. I've a hard time figuring out just what the extreme left even looks like these days, unless that's Nader's bunch in the Green Party.

I've said it many times, the great strength of this nation is in the center. Nixon played it like a fiddle with his "Silent Majority" focus. Bill Clinton played the center and by doing so he kept close to a 60% approval rating.

Obama is playing the center, leading from the center and pulling high numbers. The more the GOP says NO to reasonable plans and words from Obama, the more out of touch they will appear to everyone, even their own.

Meanwhile, the stats in the OP make my eyes cross as the first one and the third one seem to work at cross purposes. The real issue in the quoted material is this: "72% of Republicans say it is more important for the GOP to stand for what it believes in than for the party to work with President Obama." That means to me that 72% of GOP voters want their GOP reps to say NO to everything Obama tries to do, and indeed so, the GOP reps are voting NO to almost every bill this year. Thus it would appear that the GOP reps ARE standing up for "what the GOP stands for" but if thats the case, why do 69% of GOP voters also say their GOP reps are out of touch?

This then begs a 2-part question: (1) Just what DOES the GOP stand for these days, or should stand for; and (2) if 69% of our GOP reps are out of touch by saying NO to Obama on everything, what should they be doing?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies