Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:11 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,022 times

Advertisements

Texas: City Councilman Arrested for Opposing Red Light Cameras
The mayor of Duncanville, Texas had a member of the city council arrested last Tuesday for speaking out against the use of red light cameras during an official meeting. The incident took place during the discussion of whether the city should spend $59,000 to make street repairs. Mayor David Green recognized Councilman Paul Ford to speak on the contract item.

Before he had a chance to explain that the city could find the money for those necessary street repairs by cutting the city manager's salary from $179,000 to $160,000 and reducing payments to local chambers of commerce by $40,000, Police Chief Robert Brown grabbed Ford. Ford repeated several times the statement: "Chief Brown, I will not leave voluntarily, but if you believe I am violating the law by discussing this agenda item, I will submit to arrest."
"I'm not the one who brought the red light camera scandal to Duncanville," Ford responded at the private meeting. "I'm the one who brought it to light, but I'm not the one who imposed it on us... I recognize that there probably is no city employee in this room who will stand up to you guys... Unlike those people who are getting red light camera citations, I will have an opportunity for a jury trial when you arrest me for whatever it is that you've discussed, whether it's disrupting a public meeting or disorderly conduct. I will have a jury trial, and it will be a jury of my peers, not yours. In other words, people who are not getting money from this city. And I will with conscience place my fate in their hands."

We need more politicians like Brown who will stand up for liberty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IEr275vMNM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 08:13 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
At least he fought for what he feels is right. Personally I'm ambivalent as to red light cameras. Just don't put the speed cameras in around here!

Old 05-03-2009, 08:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,468,357 times
Appears that the action against the councilman was for "violating" procedures at a public hearing and not because of his position on the issue.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:19 PM

654 posts, read 466,051 times
Wow! And he was hospitalized from injuries from the arrest. One can only hope that the Mayor of Duncanville will go down for this.

Quote:
Total Population of Duncanville: 38,500

Total number of Red Light Camera Citations issued in Duncanville in 2008: 43,955

Percentage of Red Light Camera Citations in Duncanville for turning right on red: Approximately 85% -- that’s about 37,360

Total dollar amount of the 43,955 Red Light Camera citations issued in 2008 at $75 each: $3,296,625

http://paulfordreports.com/4701.html

Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,022 times
Under this set of procedures in Duncanville, a mayor would first have issued a warning to an unruly member and, if ignored, put the question of what to do about it to the entire city council. A majority vote would be required to have a sitting member removed from the chambers after that member is given an opportunity to speak in his own defense. Under Duncanville's city charter (2.15), only the full council can change the rules of procedure, not the mayor acting alone.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
Wow! And he was hospitalized from injuries from the arrest. One can only hope that the Mayor of Duncanville will go down for this.

Paul Ford Reports
Most of that came from people who do not live in Duncanville most likely.

I hate everything about that town (and yes I've been there many times...the stats aren't why I have this view).

Old 05-03-2009, 09:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,468,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastersteve View Post
Under this set of procedures in Duncanville, a mayor would first have issued a warning to an unruly member and, if ignored, put the question of what to do about it to the entire city council. A majority vote would be required to have a sitting member removed from the chambers after that member is given an opportunity to speak in his own defense. Under Duncanville's city charter (2.15), only the full council can change the rules of procedure, not the mayor acting alone.
Appears that there were several procedural violations committed...

Old 05-03-2009, 09:25 PM

654 posts, read 466,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Most of that came from people who do not live in Duncanville most likely.

I hate everything about that town (and yes I've been there many times...the stats aren't why I have this view).
But still, you can turn right on red, or at least you can in every place I have been to. They can't all be from people rolling through right hand turns.

If those stats are correct, then those citations seem a bit excessive.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
But still, you can turn right on red, or at least you can in every place I have been to. They can't all be from people rolling through right hand turns.

If those stats are correct, then those citations seem a bit excessive.
We've started getting red light and speed cameras here; they had to adjust them so that people did not get tickets for legitimate right turns on red. I have no love for the cameras, but I will say that the accident rates seem to have gone down at those intersections.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
We've started getting red light and speed cameras here; they had to adjust them so that people did not get tickets for legitimate right turns on red. I have no love for the cameras, but I will say that the accident rates seem to have gone down at those intersections.
But, the rates of a different type of accident occurring are almost always higher. People slam on their brakes to avoid getting caught and the driver behind them fails to be able to respond quickly enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies