Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:36 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,924,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
My father-in-law likes to say that 1950s were the best America has seen, but I am optimistic we will find our way out of this mess and US will still be the land of opportunity that it has always been. The whole world is taking a bruising right now, so the question is which countries will be able to recover fastest and take advantage of the situation. Icons have fallen, but they have left behind holes to be filled, and I believe they will be filled. GM was infested by parasites, the unions, who sucked them dry of their lifeblood until they had killed the host. The unions deserve to die with their host, and someone new should fill the gap.

That's a good point in bold. Sometimes the fat needs to be trimmed out of an efficient economy. GM is an American icon for sure and we can all mourn its downfall. But plenty of icons disappear and plenty more come to be. Just in the last few decades we've seen Microsoft arise to be an American icon, Apple, and plenty more in the Fortune 500. Of course our decline in industry is something to be worried about. What would we do if we have to fight a long sustained WWII-style war in the future with much of our industrial base having been off-shored??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 04:53 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,172,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
That's a good point in bold. Sometimes the fat needs to be trimmed out of an efficient economy. GM is an American icon for sure and we can all mourn its downfall. But plenty of icons disappear and plenty more come to be. Just in the last few decades we've seen Microsoft arise to be an American icon, Apple, and plenty more in the Fortune 500. Of course our decline in industry is something to be worried about. What would we do if we have to fight a long sustained WWII-style war in the future with much of our industrial base having been off-shored??
Good point decafdave about fighting another WW2 war. Our production lines during that war were awesome and it contributed greatly to us winning. If we had to fight a war like that again, we can always outsource the manufacturing to china. Of course what if the enemy turns out to be china.

Our country needs to have a diversified base where we do high tech, service, financial and heavy manufacturing. It will take a lot more than shuffling papers and moving money around on Wall street to maintain global superiority.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:06 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,242,906 times
America as you know it won't exist in 2050.

I'm scared to say what will be in its place, but I imagine a number of scenarios.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,207,423 times
Who cares about what happens?
As long as the upper 5% are raking in the bucks, living in highly guarded homes, then everything will be okay.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:48 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,599,139 times
I'll be dead so I will see worms...

Old 07-29-2009, 05:47 PM

838 posts, read 923,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
What do you see for America in 2050?

A few thoughts....
Electric or alternative energy cars.
25-35% of Americans will be Hispanic.
Freedom of speech restricted.
Ha? Way over 50% are hispanic is Southern CA. right now!

Maybe in 2050 those of of left will be ruled by Chinsese dictator ship?
Whatever, don't think it will be good because our leaders sold out our country and the it's the people who voted for them. We have also more and more let our traditional good values go which is why we voted for the wrong leaders.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That all depends on how white folks decide to treat hispanics, because as we all know pay back is a *****.
You sound exactly like some hispanic gang member types I know well of who beat up even old people who are sick. So immature all they think of is pay back, watch your back, revenge and demanding respect (yet they really do not even respect or like themselves!). A sorry people who are close minded and think the world owes them and always the victims.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
My father-in-law likes to say that 1950s were the best America has seen, but I am optimistic we will find our way out of this mess and US will still be the land of opportunity that it has always been. The whole world is taking a bruising right now, so the question is which countries will be able to recover fastest and take advantage of the situation. Icons have fallen, but they have left behind holes to be filled, and I believe they will be filled. GM was infested by parasites, the unions, who sucked them dry of their lifeblood until they had killed the host. The unions deserve to die with their host, and someone new should fill the gap.

The sky is falling mentality in FOX, and other media outlets must stop. I was watching FOX the other day and a commentator went on and on about how Obama has spent 14 trillion dollars and taken 2 trillion in loans from China. Both claims are 100% lies. It is political propaganda and designed purely to make the situation sound worse than it is. Its aim it so destroy whatever is left of peoples spirits, so that they can one day introduce their own man as the saviour of America. We can't wait for that. There is no time. The time to rise from the ashes is now, and it would be foolish to think that a new president or a political party will save us. Only the American people can save us. Only positive spitit can save us. Anyone who loves this country would be wise to ignore the propaganda and pray for the country and its leaders so that we can come out of this as soon as possible.
Only the American people can vote in leaders who have a direct impact on our future, so instead of voting for personality and globalist ideas why not vote in someone in by their content who has motive to build up America once again.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:09 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,207,423 times
No future.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:32 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,850,582 times
If we put an emphasis on science, math and engineering, we could have permanent settlements on the Moon, Hotels in space, bases on Mars and we will have a space elevator in the South Pacific allowing for cheap transportation into space. We will be wired for the internet, either in the clothing we wear or in our heads. And yes, we could be speaking to each other by simply thinking the thoughts. If we don't interfere with life extension we could be living to 150 years by that time and before those living at that time die, we could extend life to 200 years plus. It could be an amazing time or

the opposite could happen and we would find ourselves living in an Orwellian society with heavy restrictions on the value of the self and an over protection of society for the state, meaning no one is really safe. It would be like living in the world of Adolph Hitler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies