Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times

Advertisements

How many times is this going to be brought up.

Not EVERY woman who has an abortion is doing drugs, or getting knocked up for funsies. There are MANY more who are getting it for different, personal reasons that are none of anyones business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I agree. I wish sex ed would not only encompass the biology of sex but the reality of the consequences of sex as well. The boy who promises his undying love but doesn't call, the boy who will have his wages garnished for the next 18 years of his life because he went 'commando' with a one night stand...and imagine his future - "sorry honey, we weren't approved for the house loan because I'm behind on child support".

Teenagers and preteens are not stupid, but they are naive enough to believe it will never happen to them. I think it would be very beneficial to have young adults talking to middle school students about the realities of living with an abortion in your past, a child too soon, an std, a broken heart. Will it get to them all? No, but if it gets to some of them, it will be worth it.

And yes, I talk with my dds a lot about the realities of sex. Sometimes it makes more of an impact coming from someone closer in age though.

I remember the first talk i had with my son, he was 12. The conversation was not one of Mom and son, but i broke it down to him pretty much the way he would hear it from his friends. Forget the biology book with the listtle fishy swimming over to the egg.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:22 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I remember the first talk i had with my son, he was 12. The conversation was not one of Mom and son, but i broke it down to him pretty much the way he would hear it from his friends. Forget the biology book with the listtle fishy swimming over to the egg.

I'm extremely glad my parents did 'sex education' with me the way they did. It may not work for everyone, but in my family we're very open. My mom sat me down and actually showed me the book 'Joy of Sex' from the 70's, I believe. She taught me that sex can be a good thing, it's pleasurable, it's fun, but it's not to be taken lightly. The risks were laid out, both emotional and physical and I knew I could ask my mother ANYTHING at all, from birth control to masturbation. Nothing was off limits. I was very comfortable in my sexuality from a young age and stayed a virgin MUCH MUCH MUCH longer than any of my school peers.

I choose my partners wisely and have never had a 'one night stand' or had sex with someone before I was ready. I learned how to say no and mean it.

I wish more parents were like that, but not everyone is that comfortable.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:23 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceharvester View Post
I know abortion has been beat to death, but these two stories make me sick,

A girl my gf partied with got knocked up. She planned on getting an abortion so she kept doing drugs and partying. Apparently she never got around to getting the abortion so now the baby has serious defects. How is this not a crime?

A 15 yo girl loved her BF so much, she got pregnant with his kid. Her parents made her get an abortion. Afterwards she goes right back and gets knocked up again. WTF

I think abortion should be illegal. People think it is the fix that allows them to be irresponsible.
However, the people in the above stories just seem to be trash and common place trash.
Riceharvester, I'd ideally like to see abortion illegal too, but not because of my approval or disapproval of anyone's sex life. I feel abortion is pretty much murder and thus should be banned. It has nothing to do with whether people are sexually irresponsible.

As to your girlfriend's friend, there have been several recent cases here in TX where DA's have filed charges against women who had drug babies.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:24 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:
Ha! Salmon spawning isn't going to cut it in this day and age.
Your son is 12? Get ready for middle school --- there is serious dating happening there. Not my dds, but they are always telling me who is breaking up and the like. It is a different age sad to say.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:24 PM

238 posts, read 305,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
rice and why is this the burden of the "girl" in both of your examples? It takes two to tango when it comes to sex and you seem to be absolving the men of their responsibilities. There is a reason abortion is legal because by your logic it sounds like you are blaming women for getting pregnant.
Because women are evil! duh!

You know, there are just as many trashy guys out there. I wish I could personally use my glock on them (legally).

Old 05-07-2009, 01:25 PM

841 posts, read 2,261,416 times
very convincing argument :/

Old 05-07-2009, 01:25 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
More importantly parents need to talk to their children. I mean really talk, not the Mary Poppins version of the birds and the bee's. The real story, and myths that male and females tell each other.

- i'm on the pill
- oh i'll put it on in a minute
- If you sit in cold water afterwords...yada yada yada

I heard it all in high school and amazingly 20 years later the same load of crap is being told to young girls.
You don't have to be a teenager to be gullible. I'll never forget the look I got from my OB/GYN about 15 years ago (I was in my 40s) when she asked if I was sexually active. I said "I'm in a monogamous relationship" and mentioned my partner hadn't had sex since he got divorced and was tested for HIV and other STDs. She said "I haven't heard a man admit to having casual sex or a one-nighter since 1984." I was obvious what she meant.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 PM

238 posts, read 305,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Riceharvester, I'd ideally like to see abortion illegal too, but for a different reason than my approval or disapproval of anyone's sex life.

As to your girlfriend's friend, there have been several recent cases here in TX where DA's have filed charges against women who had drug babies.
I'm just saying that those cases make me sick. Abortion should be illegal because it is murder.

As to the common retort of who will take care of the unwanted kids, how about the people that made them.

BUT I have a solution. Illegal aliens cost us upwards of $80M a year. It costs roughly $500K to raise a kid and put them thru college.

If we cleaned out the illegals, we could use the money saved for government subsidized foster care.

just an idea.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:31 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceharvester View Post
I know abortion has been beat to death, but these two stories make me sick,

A girl my gf partied with got knocked up. She planned on getting an abortion so she kept doing drugs and partying. Apparently she never got around to getting the abortion so now the baby has serious defects. How is this not a crime?

A 15 yo girl loved her BF so much, she got pregnant with his kid. Her parents made her get an abortion. Afterwards she goes right back and gets knocked up again. WTF

I think abortion should be illegal. People think it is the fix that allows them to be irresponsible.
However, the people in the above stories just seem to be trash and common place trash.

I actually sit more on the side of court ordered contraception/or sterlization for irresponsible people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies