Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:19 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I note that a lot of liberals, including da prez, are smokers.
I didn't start smoking until 2004 when I was 27 and stationed in Iraq. Everyone else was smoking and I, unfortunately, picked it up as well. I guess it was a way of dealing with stress but also my job in the military (before I got out after 9 years) was to speak with local people (I was in Psyops) and virtually all Iraqi men smoke, some would get insulted if you refused to smoke with them, so I started smoking as well. Dumb but now I am hooked.

On the upside we smokers end up paying a lot of taxes so at least that is something the rest of you should be happy about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 12:25 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,907,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post

On the upside we smokers end up paying a lot of taxes so at least that is something the rest of you should be happy about.
The Politically Correct folks had better be glad that folks still smoke, otherwise their Volvo's and Bicycle Paths would be taxed to pay for Nobama's healthcare plan.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:30 PM

306 posts, read 476,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So Rush eats those cigars or are you just indulging in a bit of selective whining?
Are we talking weed or nicotine? Cause I'll smoke till all the dandy lions in your garden are gone.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, on the smoking threads, it's the conservatives who are the smokers, yelling the loudest to preserve their "rights".
I tend to frequent and argue diligently in those threads against the bans. I do not smoke. I point out the hypocrisy of those seeking bans as well as the illegitimate nature of the studies they claim as support. Kind of puts a cog in your generalization, but you can treat my response like the studies I guess by sweeping aside the responses you don't like and grouping up the ones you do in order to support your position.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:48 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,398,124 times
Wow some of these comments about liberal smoking are quite possibly some the stupidest, most unsubstantiated hypothesis I have read in my entire life.

I am only going to say this once many liberals and conservatives both smoke and enjoy it. For some it helps with stress for some of us we just enjoy it. It has nothing to do with political ideology.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:20 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
The Politically Correct folks had better be glad that folks still smoke, otherwise their Volvo's and Bicycle Paths would be taxed to pay for Nobama's healthcare plan.
Baloney. This was as of 2007.

[url=http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/11/tobacco_cost.html]Smokers Cost Taxpayers $10 Billion[/url]

Old 05-26-2009, 02:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I tend to frequent and argue diligently in those threads against the bans. I do not smoke. I point out the hypocrisy of those seeking bans as well as the illegitimate nature of the studies they claim as support. Kind of puts a cog in your generalization, but you can treat my response like the studies I guess by sweeping aside the responses you don't like and grouping up the ones you do in order to support your position.
Do you have anything you want to say, or do you just want to insult me?

Old 05-26-2009, 02:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Over half of these United States have outlawed smoking.

There are 5 states that even ban smoking in your car.

Based on personal experience, I have noticed a roughly 50/50 split between Liberal/Conservative smoking.

I'm a non-smoker, and the fact that folks smoke, doesn't really bother me.
I don't care that they light up at the bar or the park ... it's their business, and it's their choice.

If I had the choice, between smelling the cigarette smoke of the smoker, and smelling the traffic of the city, I'd choose the cigarette smoke every single time.

It's my opinion that cars can do more damage to our environment than any poor lowly smoker ever could.
Folks make laws against smoking because they can. It's a PC power trip and that's all.

If folks were really at all serious about what they breathe, then cars would be at the top of the PC ban list, and not smoking.
No states have "banned" smoking. Many states have restricted where people can smoke. I have been a nurse long enough to remember patients smoking in the hospital! I can remember people smoking in the grocery stores, and just about everywhere except church.

You are probably right that it's about a 50/50 split between liberals and conservatives who are smokers.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:58 PM

306 posts, read 476,553 times
Who the hell cares? What does this issue matter? Republicans recently elected a pos President twice in a row. Thats worse than murder.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:06 PM

605 posts, read 1,843,646 times
FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Are Republicans Healthier Than Democrats?
republicans are 15% less likely to be smokers.
Republicans rely on being happy themselves, democrats depend on society to make them happy. When that doesnt work, they turn to smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies