Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:34 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,250,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
5 fewer rednecks. Evolution in action.
That's a very ignorant and abhorrent statement.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:44 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,346,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
You dare use a tragedy within US troops to make a stupid point about gun control?
My point - Circumstantial stupidity and malice can be deadly in more directions than intended.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:47 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,423,373 times
Default American Kills 5 Fellow Soldiers at Clinic in Iraq

BAGHDAD — An American soldier opened fire at a counseling center on a military base Monday, killing five fellow soldiers before being taken into custody, the U.S. command and Pentagon officials said.
Although it was unclear what prompted the shooting, the incident draws attention to the issue of combat stress and morale after six years of war as the mission of the 130,000-strong force transforms to one of training and mentoring the Iraqis.
Attacks on fellow soldiers, known as fraggings, were not uncommon during the Vietnam war but are believed to be rare in Iraq and Afghanistan

American kills 5 fellow soldiers at clinic in Iraq | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090510/ML.Iraq/ - broken link)

Wow, what a tragedy. My heart goes out to all of those brave men and women and their families.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:10 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,462,373 times
Quote:
brilliant, dude. i'll assume for the sake of argument that you're still in junior high school, and haven't yet learned to look beyond the ignorant prejudices of your demented parents.

i'm gonna guess that you equate redneck with conservative. am i close?

in that case, it is the fault of your parents, and they should certainly be kept from further breeding.

for the rest of you reading this thread, there are democrats in the military, there are liberals in the military, and there are even educated conservatives in the military. in fact, i am willing to bet that the last ten years have produced democrats in the military in greater numbers than any seen in quite a while (especially the number of disgruntled vets leaving as first-time democrats).

either way, quotes like this show only that some people lack the ability to critically think about an issue and to separate people from their own political agendas and prejudices.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:25 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,876,699 times
Quote:

Wow that is pretty uncalled for.

My sympathy goes out to their families. This only makes the tragedy that is Iraq worse. I want them all to return safely. regardless of their social status or exposure.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:26 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,499,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
brilliant, dude. i'll assume for the sake of argument that you're still in junior high school, and haven't yet learned to look beyond the ignorant prejudices of your demented parents.
Have you learned to read profiles? Or is that too much effort?

Quote:
i'm gonna guess that you equate redneck with conservative. am i close?
I equate redneck with militarism, with placing a low value on human life, and with most of what the U.S. military has done since around 1815. Additionally, redneck can be associated with racism, xenophobia, homophobia, and anti-intellectualism.

All those qualities are aspects of what is now called "conservatism." There is a better intellectual history to conservatism, but most self-identified conservatives have never heard of it. Modern dittohead conservatism, yes, is redneck.

Quote:
for the rest of you reading this thread, there are democrats in the military, there are liberals in the military, and there are even educated conservatives in the military. in fact, i am willing to bet that the last ten years have produced democrats in the military in greater numbers than any seen in quite a while (especially the number of disgruntled vets leaving as first-time democrats).
I reluctantly vote for Democrats because the main alternative is a party of war criminals, creationists, torturers and psychotics. But don't expect me to defend any particular Democrat, or to pretend that Democrats have no redneck following.

Quote:
either way, quotes like this show only that some people lack the ability to critically think about an issue and to separate people from their own political agendas and prejudices.
Those particular people chose to make themselves tools of someone else's "political agenda", an agenda of murder and plunder. They get zero sympathy from me.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:46 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,562,495 times
You cannot have lengthy deployments in dangerous war zones without this happening, it happens all the time when people lose it in war zones, and many times it civilians getting hit.The military is in total denial about the problem of soldiers needing ready access to psychological counseling. Tell your Congressman and/or Senators to insure that:

1) Ready access is available through the military and the V.A. (Veterans Affairs)

2) End the stupid war(s) that were both started and ran by the previous administration, who badly botched both of them (and needlessly started one in the first place)

This is no small issue. The psyche of our military is being put through hell in ill conceived wars from people who didnt know #$%%@ from shinola

Old 05-11-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Wow that is pretty uncalled for.
Invading someone's country is uncalled for.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:56 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,462,373 times
Quote:
Have you learned to read profiles? Or is that too much effort?
no, it is not too much effort, but profiles matter very little since they are the equivalent of a self portrait that has removed all of the warts and wrinkles and added ten pounds worth of muscle or cleavage.

the only thing that surprised me about your profile was the libertarian aspect, but the rest seemed either unimportant or possibly connected to your obvious prejudice.

Quote:
I equate redneck with militarism, with placing a low value on human life, and with most of what the U.S. military has done since around 1815. Additionally, redneck can be associated with racism, xenophobia, homophobia, and anti-intellectualism.
all of those would be generalizations that would ruin any attempt to have a meaningful conversation. not to mention the fact that the way with which you used the term was an insult, not a standard title.

Quote:
All those qualities are aspects of what is now called "conservatism." There is a better intellectual history to conservatism, but most self-identified conservatives have never heard of it. Modern dittohead conservatism, yes, is redneck.
key word being modern or current.

Quote:
I reluctantly vote for Democrats because the main alternative is a party of war criminals, creationists, torturers and psychotics. But don't expect me to defend any particular Democrat, or to pretend that Democrats have no redneck following.
i don't expect people to come to the rescue of either party, as they are both corrupt. irrelevant.

Quote:
Those particular people chose to make themselves tools of someone else's "political agenda", an agenda of murder and plunder. They get zero sympathy from me.
none of which explains your willingness to engage in logically fallacious and insulting generalizations and cold disregard for the deaths of human beings–regardless of the fact that their political stances might differ from yours (but again, that is a large assumption in and of itself).

feel free to explain away if you wish. otherwise people will just see a sweeping generalization tied to a malevolent prejudice, and i certainly know what i think of posts (and posters) that fit that description and feel confident guessing what others will think.

aaron out.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
the only thing that surprised me about your profile was the libertarian aspect, but the rest seemed either unimportant or possibly connected to your obvious prejudice.
Is the only reason people feel contempt for, say, the Mafia, because of prejudice? Wouldn't you call it postjudice? Same applies to the military.

Quote:
none of which explains your willingness to engage in logically fallacious and insulting generalizations and cold disregard for the deaths of human beings–regardless of the fact that their political stances might differ from yours (but again, that is a large assumption in and of itself).
It's not an assumption that nobody who participated in the invasion of Iraq shares my political stances, it's a certainty. Or to be more precise, I don't care if they agree with me on 9 things out of 10 if that's the tenth. It's not even remotely excusable. As for the deaths of human beings, they reduced themselves below the level of human beings when they signed up as hired killers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies