Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for our country? Please be honest!
Barack Obama 46 56.10%
George W. Bush 36 43.90%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:26 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
I think however that when all evidence points to an error, when new people are in charge it is very intelligent to acknowledge the things that were done wrong so as to reassure the others that you're intent on doing a better job.
Okay, you tell me where it was we made those people fly into the twin towers, then I will tell you where it is we as American's have something to say we're sorry for!

Tell me, what did we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Tell me where Obama is showing the 'love'. And yes, he is my son's boss as well. My father served in 1942 and his definition of honor and integrity was far different than the definition that is shown today.

Find the love Casper (I use to live in Dallas) that Obama shows for America.
Are you saying that acknowledging wrong doing is proof of failure to love?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:52 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
In order to make an abserd comment like that, you need to think that protecting america, and doing the job that a president is required to do by way of their election, is wrong.. Is that what your saying? That we shouldnt protect america?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,965 times
Quote:
Okay, you tell me where it was we made those people fly into the twin towers, then I will tell you where it is we as American's have something to say we're sorry for!

Tell me, what did we do?
Have I said anything about the Twin Towers? Has Barack Obama said you killed those people? There are people who think America (implying the American government, not the people as a whole) bears some responsibility (I'm not one of those, btw) but that's different from saying that America is guilty of murdering on September the 11th.

So, let's comment on the quotations you've brought here:

April 3 (Apologies to France): I see nothing wrong there. He believes the EU should have been given more credit and America should have had a less dismissive attitude. Really nothing wrong with trying to be friendly with your usual allies. Most democratic governments say similar things after a failure in cooperation or when they perceive thing might be going in the wrong direction, to try and work things out together.

April 2 (Apologies to Italy): Didn't the economic crisis began in the US? Couldn't that be a sign of bad management? Being the most powerful country and taking your share of responsibility when something has gone wrong back home (that affects the rest) is, I think, brave and allows for confidence to be slowly restored because it implies you're ready to do things differently this time.

Jan. 26 (Apologies to the Muslim world): I don't know what you think, but I want such a huge (and increasing!) chunk of world population by my side. I would like the Muslim world to open up to real and modern democratic systems and if we can talk them into it peacefully, cool. I would like their women to be educated and well treated. I would like religion to be held as a private matter as it was in the Western world. I guess, for the sake of pragmatism, that one must endure certain horrible double standards like being such good friends with a criminal nation like Saudi Arabia (I guess you don't like that either) and waging war somewhere else (using blatant lies as an excuse to do so, which begs for an apology -from the US and from the rest of the countries which participated using the same lies-), but it would be nice if we got on well anyway, the less bloodshed the better. Because we want to remain free. And the freer the surrounding world, the safer our freedom is.

And, well, that's it. I can't see where his apologies for being American are. I think patriotism should always imply being demanding of your nation, because you love it and want it to always do the best, be the best and be a good representative of democratic values. And acknowledging mistakes, saying you're not alone in the world you're influencing and trying to count on others can hardly hurt.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:06 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
There should have been a "Both are equal" voting choice. But they poll pretty close so I guess that covers it anyway. Both are gaffe prone, both have odd habits that make you wonder just how intelligent or not they really are, both seem very much to be manipulated and controlled form behind the scenes. Both have over inflated opinions of themselves and their popularity which leads to embarassing and frustratingly bad decision making.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:23 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Quote:
How many quotes, links to quotes do you want? There are many so I will link them, and you can read them. Obama is an American right? Obama is the leader of the American team right? His has this to say, about his team at the G-20 summit. Perhaps you missed this...perhaps you even missed them in my previous post.
1st. here is a nice editorial...
2nd. A List of Apologies...
Click the link above to read them, but let me read the page and find a favorite of mine.

He apologies to France:

"April 3: "In America, there's a failure to appreciate Europe's leading role in the world. Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive. But in Europe, there is an anti-Americanism that is at once casual but can also be insidious. Instead of recognizing the good that America so often does in the world, there have been times where Europeans choose to blame America for much of what's bad. On both sides of the Atlantic, these attitudes have become all too common. They are not wise. ... They threaten to widen the divide across the Atlantic and leave us both more isolated." -- President Obama, in Strasbourg, France"

I also like this one: (we should not have opened up the free market trade with the other countries, they should take care of themselves and we should take care of us and then we can be held accountable for the results of our actions, as it stands, we messed every one up abroad)

"April 2: "It is true, as my Italian friend has said, that the (economic) crisis began in the U.S. I take responsibility, even if I wasn't even president at the time." -- President Obama, at the G20 in London, as reported by Germany's Der Spiegel

"Jan. 26: "All too often the United States starts by dictating ... and we don't always know all the factors that are involved. So let's listen. And I think if we do that, then there's a possibility at least of achieving some breakthroughs. ... My job to the Muslim world is to communicate that the Americans are not your enemy. We sometimes make mistakes. We have not been perfect." -- President Obama, in an interview with Al Arabiya"

3000 people died and it was our mistake. Alrighty then proud you cleared that up Pres. Obama. We should not have done whatever it was we did.
Now if the person reading this understands the good that America has done and will continue to do for folks around the globe, then this might upset you. However, if you are ashamed at being an American then you will agree with the American President that, 'we have something to say we are sorry for'.

When Bush called us lazy American's that upset me, because we work hard. But to have the next guy call us what? dictators? well that is just going a bit to far....did we hold a gun to their head and say, you must invest in this? We are now responsible for all their choices and the economic crises around the globe...so we must have dictated and strong armed them and I just missed it...that's all.

Obama is an American, he apologies for being an American.
No, he didn't. Not in a single one of your sources did he do that.

Quote:
If that is not what this is, then you tell me, what is it?
It's your sore loserism, coloring your perceptions.

Quote:
I will respect him that he is our President, but I don't have to like him or have him over for dinner. See you again in four years.
I can see your "respect" in every post you make.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:39 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
FACT: GM was in deep trouble long before Obama was on the sceen, try again.
Casper
Dude... I'm aware of that. I was even around the first time Chrysler got bailed out by the fed.

The guy said 'Most Americans see the economy as recovering' to which I replied 'Tell that to GM Dealerships', or some such quote you can look up yourself.

I don't blame the economy on Obama, nor to I attribute any of its recovery to Obama. The fault lays squarely with Congress, always has. Recovery can be attributed to the consumer.

You guys need to get over the O thingy.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
In order to make an abserd comment like that, you need to think that protecting america, and doing the job that a president is required to do by way of their election, is wrong.. Is that what your saying? That we shouldnt protect america?
I'm not saying anything. I asked a question.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:43 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell
Tell me where Obama is showing the 'love'. And yes, he is my son's boss as well. My father served in 1942 and his definition of honor and integrity was far different than the definition that is shown today.

Find the love Casper (I use to live in Dallas) that Obama shows for America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Casper said in his previous post that he as well as family members were of the military. So it is of my understanding he understands 'the love' for the Unit, its team members and its leader. And when there is a mistake made by one of the team members, just how that mistake is handled. Also you have to ask yourself if you are in battle do you want this guy Obama covering your backside?

My father was a Staff Sergent in the U.S. Army in 1942 serving in the Korean war. Under his last command were three children and I was one of them.

If one made a mistake we were all three held accountable and not one us would rat the other one out. And last I can remember, not one of us said, I'm sorry, not even he if Dad made a mistake in correction. We just understood and went on about our happy business.

Team Leadership and how it is developed and handled says allot about who we are as a person and as a country. To make a public outcry weakens the love. Our father was right no matter what and we respected that because he was our father.

Now I found something on FAS web site. I love those guys.

Use of U.S. Armed Forces Abroad, 1798-2008 | Secrecy News
"See “Instances of Use of United States Armed Forces Abroad, 1798-2008,” February 2, 2009."
These are times, no one said, 'I'm sorry' in an effort to keep us safe. However, apparently Obama thinks we should. And that is a pdf by the way, you have to open it, to read it.

Newt: U.S. at greater risk under Obama - Fred Barbash - POLITICO.com
"The U.S. is at greater risk of terrorist attack because of the Obama administration's actions, Newt Gingrich said Monday"

And don't just stop at my little quote there. Read the whole piece article.

And I am back to my original statement.

Find me the love Obama is showing for America.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 05-13-2009 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: added question to first paragraph

Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Casper said in his previous post that he as well as family members were of the military. So it is of my understanding he understands 'the love' for the Unit, its team members and its leader. And when there is a mistake made by one of the team members, just how that mistake is handled.

My father was a Staff Sergent in the U.S. Army in 1942 serving in the Korean war. Under his last command were three children and I was one of them.

If one made a mistake we were all three held accountable and not one us would rat the other one out. And last I can remember, not one of us said, I'm sorry, not even he if Dad made a mistake in correction. We just understood and went on about our happy business.

Team Leadership and how it is developed and handled says allot about who we are as a person and as a country. To make a public outcry weakens the love. Our father was right no matter what and we respected that because he was our father.

Now I found something on FAS web site. I love those guys.

Use of U.S. Armed Forces Abroad, 1798-2008 | Secrecy News
"See “Instances of Use of United States Armed Forces Abroad, 1798-2008,” February 2, 2009."
These are times, no one said, 'I'm sorry' in an effort to keep us safe. However, apparently Obama thinks we should. And that is a pdf by the way, you have to open it, to read it.

Newt: U.S. at greater risk under Obama - Fred Barbash - POLITICO.com
"The U.S. is at greater risk of terrorist attack because of the Obama administration's actions, Newt Gingrich said Monday"

And don't just stop at my little quote there. Read the whole piece article.

And I am back to my original statement.

Find me the love Obama is showing for America.
Then you are saying that love means never saying you're sorry, right? Love means never admitting you or someone you love is wrong? Love means covering up the misdeeds of those you love? Seriously, is that what you are saying? Really, I don't get this but I'm trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies