Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:39 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,233,412 times

Advertisements

Through my observations I have seen more prejudice against black people from Asians than Latinos. (There is also a sterotype that Asians don't trust black people and they think blacks are lazy and don't want to work) I'm not making a general statement saying all Asians hate black people because a good number of Asians voted for Barack Obama. But through observations thats what I have seen. Its also very rare to see black and asian relationships, at least in the south. I don't think latinos hate blacks. I think latinos in general don't associate with blacks or whites for that matter because of language and cultural barriers. It has nothing to do with skin color or dislike of another race. Thats not to say latinos don't know how to speak English but most Latinos in North Carolina speak spanish in public and its the language they are most comfortable with.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:11 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,431,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Cubans and other Hispanics aren't weighed down by White guilt, so they are much more upfront with their racism. You can call it ignorance if you want, but I think it has more to do with lack of indoctrination into the polictically correct worldview. I find that many Asians are the same way.
What I am trying to convey to the Black American posters here is that immigrants are forming their negative views about Blacks based on their experiences. Many seem to think that immigrants are trying to be "white".

I guess when you come from a slave background it's hard to believe people actually think for themselves and can form opinions without directions from whites.

My overall point is that Black American culture needs a dramatic overhaul or they will simply fall further behind. As you point out these other groups are not burdened by white guilt and may adopt an even harsher stance towards Black issues such as affirmative action as we move forward as a country.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:18 PM

Sadly Miami is mostly a no go area for most Americans (anglo or Black).

I have heard this from friends of both races. I had a Jamaican friend who was desperately looking for work down there and finally gave up and found a job in Kentucky of all places.

I had another Black American friend who simply hated the city she felt like she wasnt in America anymore.

Oh well the liberals want diversity and the conservatives gave these people free reign. What are you going to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Having lived in Miami and having been married to a Cuban woman, I can offer an opinion on this. Many white Cubans I met in Miami (including friends of my wife) were flat-out racist towards black / Haitian people and even other Hispanics, particularly those from Central America with Indian features. The terms "negra" and "indio" were banded around a lot.

Miami itself is a very unoffically segregated city, largely controlled by white Cubans, whether in terms of media or local politics. There are few middle class black people living in Miami itself, unlike other parts of Florida where you see many more middle class black people. Many cannot get jobs in Miami because the dirty secret that they don't want you to know is that Miami is no "melting pot" and is a racist place, in which you'll find it difficult to get hired if you're black & not white, Cuban and bilingual. The predominantly Cuban police force of Miami-Dade Police Dept are also very heavy handed towards black people, with many cases of unarmed blacks being shot and killed by the trigger happy police.

In my opinion, it stems from 1) many Cubans wanting to be of "pure" Spanish lineage and 2) the recent history of slave ownership in Cuba (pre-Castro) and 3) as Cubans are immigrants themselves, the political correctness that makes white Americans more reluctant to speak their minds does not apply to white Cubans.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
All true. There is much racism among white Cubans in Miami and in other parts of the US, but again, nobody can say that "Cubans" dislike "Blacks" because many Cubans are Black.
He specifically said White Cubans are you just dense on purpose?

Old 12-06-2011, 02:30 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,670,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
He specifically said White Cubans are you just dense on purpose?
I'm talking about the OP, or don't you remember what it said? I keep forgetting you are one of those black people who have been poorly educated in American public schools............

Old 12-06-2011, 02:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
Quote:
What I am trying to convey to the Black American posters here is that immigrants are forming their negative views about Blacks based on their experiences. Many seem to think that immigrants are trying to be "white".

I guess when you come from a slave background it's hard to believe people actually think for themselves and can form opinions without directions from whites.

My overall point is that Black American culture needs a dramatic overhaul or they will simply fall further behind. As you point out these other groups are not burdened by white guilt and may adopt an even harsher stance towards Black issues such as affirmative action as we move forward as a country.
No one gives a damn what immigrants think or what harsh stance they adopt so long as they keep it to themselves.

And chill with the "slave" nonsense. You repeat that sh*t in every post as if you need some sort of approval from white posters.

Okaaaaaaay. You're the offspring of African immigrants. You went to college. You're halfass educated. You're better than American born blacks because your ancestors lived under colonialism instead of slavery. WE GET IT!!

Old 12-06-2011, 02:41 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,835,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Okaaaaaaay. You're the offspring of African immigrants. You went to college. You're halfass educated. You're better than American born blacks because your ancestors lived under colonialism instead of slavery. WE GET IT!!
LOL!! Can't believe this conversation is still going on.

FWIW I'm proud to have slavery in my lineage. I come from strong people who know how to survive even in the most brutal circumstances. That is a great legacy to have.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL!! Can't believe this conversation is still going on.

FWIW I'm proud to have slavery in my lineage. I come from strong people who know how to survive even in the most brutal circumstances. That is a great legacy to have.
It's still going because the guy can't seem to leave it out of 1 of every 2 posts he makes.

Like you, i'm proud of my ancestors for persevering through slavery. But to some people purporting to be black, our crime is being the descendants of people who were captured and sold. It's our fault.

Lame...but you know..

Old 12-06-2011, 02:44 PM

932 posts, read 1,178,719 times
Quote:
Sadly Miami is mostly a no go area for most Americans (anglo or Black).

I have heard this from friends of both races. I had a Jamaican friend who was desperately looking for work down there and finally gave up and found a job in Kentucky of all places.

I had another Black American friend who simply hated the city she felt like she wasnt in America anymore.

Oh well the liberals want diversity and the conservatives gave these people free reign. What are you going to do?
It is a no go area in many respects. What you describe is exactly what I saw with my own eyes, many times. The secret they don't want you to know is that those job ads that ask applicants to be "bilingual" are a way of keeping the jobs to Spanish speakers only. I ran into it many times, although I was one of the lucky non-Spanish speakers to have a decent job.

I don't blame diversity - Miami is actually not that diverse at all. Diversity works in many cities here and abroad (London, New York and Paris, for example). In these cities, you have a plethora of different cultures, customs and ethnicities all sharing the same city and for the most part, co-existing peacefully. Miami is largely segregated and not a melting pot, apart from the wealthy areas that house wealthy people from all over the world, many of whom are just part-time residents, using Miami as their 3 month escape from the cold. It's not generally a place for the average American. Even of you have a good job there, you have to take into account how difficult it will be to find a new job, if you lose your current job, or just feel like a change.

I think that attitudes of Cubans are changing with the younger generations, but the older ones are particularly set in their ways and inherently racist, even towards black Cubans.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 11,557 times
Most Cubans that are racist in Florida are of the upper class whie cubans that came from cuba around and before the revolution in Cuba when there was segrigation.These Cubans teach thier Kids to be segrigated and the story continues.Puerto Ricans and Dominicans have always been lower class people so they have lived umongst and excepted black americans.Now,the cubans that have recently came are more open to Black aAmericans because they are of a lower class than the previous cubans.IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies