Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:06 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
I think the child should have a right to know. The mother maybe not, but child, yes.
In a sperm bank, the business does not give the identity of the father. So regardless, no one is going to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 12:07 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
In a sperm bank, the business does not give the identity of the father. So regardless, no one is going to know.

Oh I know. I just think the child should be able to find out eventually.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:11 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I use to think this. One thought of mine came up though. I remember like a quarter of the kids I knew came out of families with one parent, and where not really given full parenting as that parent was always working. Then I remember many kids who grew up to abusive parents, or alcoholics, or just plain retards. Is growing up to two fathers or mothers who are great parents actually as bad or worse than those situations?
I really have never understood why people who use this argument don't see that they are doing much more harm to it than good.
Saying that a homosexual upbringing is better than dysfunction or single parent upbringing is playing right into the hands of the people who oppose it.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I really have never understood why people who use this argument don't see that they are doing much more harm to it than good.
Saying that a homosexual upbringing is better than dysfunction or single parent upbringing is playing right into the hands of the people who oppose it.
I don't think there is such a thing as a "homosexual upbringing." My only concern is the lack of the opposite sex parent.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
AUM, why do you start threads like this KNOWING the righties will jump all over it immediately w/their immature insults?
Well, I don't think all "righties" have jumped all over it, but I have no problem with it if they do. Free speech is good. It exposes the extremes in society and allows others to decide for themselves whether or not their opinions have any merit.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:43 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
congrats to her and her wife!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
LOS ANGELES, May 13 (UPI) -- Wanda Sykes's publicist said the U.S. actress and comedian's wife Alex has given birth to twins -- a son and a daughter.

Wanda and Alex Sykes married last October in California before Proposition 8 was passed, overturning a state Supreme Court ruling legalizing same-sex marriage.

Wanda Sykes's wife gives birth to twins - UPI.com

----------------------------------

Considering the passage of Prop. 8 in California, what do you think of the fact that Sykes's partner is referred to as her "wife"?

Old 05-14-2009, 12:47 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
I hope no one hopes for the baby's kidneys to fail.

It would just be a joke, of course.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
If you want to have it the way nature made it to be, you do have to be heterosexual.
Actually, no, it would be more accurate to say that you have to have heterosexual sex in order to create a baby (aside from artificial insemination), but you don't have to be heterosexual. Lots of gay men and women have had children with opposite-sex partners. Often it happens early in their lives when they were trying to convince themselves that they were heterosexual. They get married and have kids. Years go by, and they inevitably get tired of living a lie.

It should also be noted that sometimes "out" gay men and women do have sex with the opposite sex in order to produce a baby. You don't have to be attracted to someone in order to complete "the act". I'm sure many of you know that from experience.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 05-14-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 12:53 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Oh I know. I just think the child should be able to find out eventually.
Men who donate sperm to a sperm bank often have the option of allowing children born from their donations to contact the donor at the age of 18. It's called open sperm donation. I have a friend who was just choosing a sperm donor, and she only considered sperm from men who had chosen to allow the release of their identity under the open sperm donation option.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:00 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
That didn't take long at all for some idiots to post ridiculous things on here. AUM, why do you start threads like this KNOWING the righties will jump all over it immediately w/their immature insults?
I hope I'm not one of the righties you speak of.

If I am, I apologize for anything I said that may be offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies