Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:45 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Well you just go ahead and try to change the laws....and, if by some miracle(or takeover by a Facist regime), abortion is outlawed,

then you and your fellow misogynists can dance the Happy Dance and wring your hands in glee knowing that somewhere there is a woman dying of a botched abortion.....and women having children they can't afford....and 11 year olds having their own father's baby.....

GOSH! Think how HAPPY you'll be!!!
No kidding.

I do see where the pro life people stand although I disagree with them. I try to see it from their side but like I said many times before: I stand firm that it is the womans choice.

I dont see how some of these people even think a woman should be forced to have the baby if she was raped. There are some people who even think that woman should give her life up for the baby. This is where I stop and draw the line. Why should I have to give up my LIFE for someone/something (When it is just a bunch of cells)?

It is a personal decision and should be left up to the mother and doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 03:46 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You don't know me, so don't call me a misogynist. The chance that abortion will ever be outlawed nationally is slim to none, but there is a chance that Roe v. Wade would be overturned and states would be permitted to ban abortion if they chose. Some states would, some wouldn't."""

So isn't it stupid and misogynistic to fight to overturn R V. W ????Yes, it is.

""""Those aren't the consequences I want. I do support the right to an abortion in some cases. I also support promoting contraceptives and making them more widely available, along with making adoption a more viable option.

YOU will never be pregnant so your fight to outlaw abortion, no matter how futile, is aimed at making women suffer....you hate women.

""""My vote for pro-life politicians counts the same as your vote for anti-life/pro-death ones. Period. Deal with it or leave the country if you don't like men being permitted to vote. I should also remind you that MEN (and, at that time, ONLY men) on the SCOTUS gave you this so-called "right" to an abortion. """

Your vote counts (but didn't do much in the last two elections) but you haven't noticed that for all the years since R V. W your Repub candidate s have done NOTHING about abortion...but they sure SUCKERED you into voting for them ..LOL!!!!!

Oh, and the Supreme Court MAY be made up of only men at the time but it was LOTS of people, men and women , who helped passed that law...we do NOT owe men for that!

Old 05-17-2009, 03:51 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
YOU will never be pregnant so your fight to outlaw abortion, no matter how futile, is aimed at making women suffer....you hate women.
My response to her was harsh, I admit. I just don't like being told I don't have the right to an opinion - it's rude and I would never, ever say it to anyone.

I've gone back and done some editing.

And, no, I don't hate women.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:54 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
My response to her was harsh, I admit. I just don't like being told I don't have the right to an opinion - it's rude and I would never, ever say it to anyone.

Being told you don't have a right to your opinion is rude? By comparison, what is being told you shouldn't have the right to make decisions about your own body? You have no problem telling women that.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:55 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:

You have an opinion. Of course. We all do. This is America.

You have the right to go and try to get laws changed and make them more pro life but that does not change the fact that women can go to Canada and get abortions done without ANY restriction whatsoever. Women can go to another state and get it done if one state makes it illegal.

I also do have to say that people who against abortion in case of rape (Which I know you are not) are indeed anti woman. Being pro life in general may not be anti woman but when you push it to that extent, yes. It is then anti woman and indeed when you expect her to give up her life for the baby, even more so anti woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Being told you don't have a right to your opinion is rude? By comparison, what is being told you shouldn't have the right to make decisions about your own body? You have no problem telling women that.
True. But once again, remember they think about the baby-not the woman.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:55 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
She has to make decisions for another body as well...not only her own.

You're correct that a first trimester fetus (actually an embryo at that point) is not a person. I don't see it as one either. But, by the middle to end of the second trimester, yes it is, and it should have rights too.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:02 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
She has to make decisions for another body as well...not only her own.
Yes, she does. But, as you say, she does, not you, not the law. Her body, her choice.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:13 PM

240 posts, read 352,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
So how would you legislate this moralistic POV? How would you as a jurist define and identify a random ***** who shouldn't be allowed to have an abortion, or let his girlfriend have one?
I wouldn't. As a jurist that wouldn't be my function, any other questions?

Old 05-17-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
1. Are you in favor of random whores having child after child? Random whores don't sound like women who would make the best mothers, but then, who knows?

2. Do you think random whores should be forced to give birth as a means for teaching them a lesson?

3. Do you think random whores should be punished for not making better choices by being forced to give birth?

I think involuntary sterilization would be a better choice, like a manwhore that has 10 kids without supporting them.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
It is black and white. Just like the death penalty. You either believe that the fetus is a distinct human life from the mother or you do not. If you do not believe that the fetus is a distinct human life, then the reason for the abortion does not matter. If you do believe that it is a distinct human life, then there are no cases where abortion would be legal other than when the mother's life would end if she carried to viability. Given modern medicine, that would be very rare...

Not as rare as you apparently think. And I still disagree with you about it being black and white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies