Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 05:44 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I am a straight guy and I can't understand why some other straight people are so preoccupied with gay and lesbian people. Why are there so many posts from straight people complaining about gay people. How in the world does another person being gay affect you? Maybe their preoccupation is a mask for repressed tendencies.
I'm glad to see someone else making the point that the intense preoccupation is a mask for repressed tendencies! I mentioned this notion in the thread about why some people get so emotional about gay issues. It may not explain all of it, for instance there are intensely religious people out there that think the U.S is going to hell in a handbasket fast, but I do think latent homosexual desires is a probably explanation for some of them.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:55 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Soccersupporter
Oh, but you should not include all Christians in your claim. I am dead set against divorce, it has been a great contributor to the decline of our society, probably more so that homosexuality. What so many Christians fail to realize is that it matters none what sin you are living in, it is all sin. That is why we all need a savior!
I completely agree! I guess what I'm trying to say is that as a straight guy, I'm much more likely to leave my wife for selfish reasons than to sleep with another guy. Not that I think divorce needs to be outlawed, (because that wouldn't solve underlying marriage issues) but to ban gay marriage while not taking the same approach to divorce--a bigger threat to the sanctity of marriage IMO--is inconsistent.

Can't rep ya, but Good post. Especially the last sentence

Old 05-24-2009, 06:40 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I am a bigot. I do not support same-sex marriage, so by the left's warped up logic I must be a bigot. If not supporting this perversion is bigoted, if being a Christian means I am a bigot, if standing up for what I believe to be right makes me a bigot, then so be it.

I want to formally declare the word bigot to be positive. Such a word, when applied to right wingers especially, is an acclamation of intelligence. So bigots unite! I am a bigot and I am proud to be a bigot, because being a bigot is a good, positive thing. Not a bad or negative thing.
You are OK, and doing fine. However, Napolitano may consider you a trouble maker. You aren't a war-returning soldier, are you? That would be real bad for you

Old 05-25-2009, 01:52 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I completely agree! I guess what I'm trying to say is that as a straight guy, I'm much more likely to leave my wife for selfish reasons than to sleep with another guy. Not that I think divorce needs to be outlawed, (because that wouldn't solve underlying marriage issues) but to ban gay marriage while not taking the same approach to divorce--a bigger threat to the sanctity of marriage IMO--is inconsistent.

Can't rep ya, but Good post. Especially the last sentence
So it is ok for a couple to be endlessly miserable with eachother in a toxic marriage?

Old 05-25-2009, 02:42 AM

428 posts, read 1,184,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Such a word, when applied to right wingers especially, is an acclamation of intelligence. being a bigot is a good, positive thing. Not a bad or negative thing.

I can't wait untill people with these types of beliefs are extinct. The world would be a more peaceful place .

Old 05-25-2009, 05:31 AM

530 posts, read 650,483 times
I guess my question still remains, what is the worse thing you think can happen if we allow gay marriage? And what if any effect does it have on anyone outside the couple getting married?

Old 05-25-2009, 05:42 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,521,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post

I can't wait untill people with these types of beliefs are extinct. The world would be a more peaceful place .
Someday.. sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
I guess my question still remains, what is the worse thing you think can happen if we allow gay marriage? And what if any effect does it have on anyone outside the couple getting married?
What!! You mean it doesn't really effect me!?!

Old 05-25-2009, 05:49 AM

Exactly how does it effect you? That's what no one here seems to want to answer. What detriment does it have on you if two womwn or two men decide to marry? They are going to live and be together anyway. So tell me how this will in anyway empeede your life?

Old 05-25-2009, 05:53 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmihall01 View Post
Exactly how does it effect you? That's what no one here seems to want to answer. What detriment does it have on you if two womwn or two men decide to marry? They are going to live and be together anyway. So tell me how this will in anyway empeede your life?

I heard that being gay is catchy, so it could rub off...j/k

Old 05-25-2009, 05:57 AM

isn't it funny no one has an answer for this question. I remember when it used to be horrible to marry outside of your race too, for the most part, people got over it. There are always those who just want it their way, they would hold society back because of their half baked views. Still waiting on that answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies