Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:43 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,070,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I have nothing against Muslims (at least the non radical types), but it is interesting on how President Obama is now changing his stance on this issue.

The Emergence of President Obama's Muslim Roots - Political Punch
LOL News?

1. The President's father, whom he really didn't know, was born a Muslim, but may not have practiced the religion.
  2. The President spent some of his early years in Indonesia, where he certainly interacted with Muslims.
  3. The President lived in Chicago where there's a sizable Muslim community.
Stunning investigative reporting. The RW has nailed the President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 07:47 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,480,605 times
[quote=Synopsis]And the spin goes on. Look, the whole issue is that he downplayed it during his campaign, and now he is in the beginning stages of pointing out his relationship to Islam. Yes, he wrote a book that did not deny the fact, yet how many Americans today read much of anything in great numbers. They watch tv, and the campaign was played out on television.

This has nothing to do with Islam per say, but supports the fact that President Obama (like every other politician) will massage facts and do just about anything to get elected.
My intent is not about as much to bash Obama, but to show that he is no different from any other politician, except in his lack of experience, which I never chided him for.

He has gone back on campaign promises time and time again, and now this is just another little reversal on things he said or inferred during the campaign.

I didn't vote for him, but I was actually rooting for him once he was elected. He is after all our President. I still hope that he can turn things around. I am not a hater.[/
[quote]

See the above bold print for spin...There's nothing for me to spin..LOL. Obama is not a Muslim..People who disliked him tried to present him as a Muslim. He sought vehmentley to set HIS record straight. None of that means he distanced, disliked or had any negative feeling towards Muslims or Islam. He is currently the American President and is reaching out to a population that we have ignored for years. That's what President's do, even when it comes to our enemies or cultures that differ vastly from ours.

Please show me where Obama "messaged" facts or downplayed anything. Show me the lie..

Old 06-03-2009, 08:02 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,933,722 times
[quote=Tank1906;9112464][quote=Synopsis]And the spin goes on. Look, the whole issue is that he downplayed it during his campaign, and now he is in the beginning stages of pointing out his relationship to Islam. Yes, he wrote a book that did not deny the fact, yet how many Americans today read much of anything in great numbers. They watch tv, and the campaign was played out on television.

This has nothing to do with Islam per say, but supports the fact that President Obama (like every other politician) will massage facts and do just about anything to get elected.
My intent is not about as much to bash Obama, but to show that he is no different from any other politician, except in his lack of experience, which I never chided him for.

He has gone back on campaign promises time and time again, and now this is just another little reversal on things he said or inferred during the campaign.

I didn't vote for him, but I was actually rooting for him once he was elected. He is after all our President. I still hope that he can turn things around. I am not a hater.[/
Quote:

See the above bold print for spin...There's nothing for me to spin..LOL. Obama is not a Muslim..People who disliked him tried to present him as a Muslim. He sought vehmentley to set HIS record straight. None of that means he distanced, disliked or had any negative feeling towards Muslims or Islam. He is currently the American President and is reaching out to a population that we have ignored for years. That's what President's do, even when it comes to our enemies or cultures that differ vastly from ours.

Please show me where Obama "messaged" facts or downplayed anything. Show me the lie..
You need to read the article again or go back and read my specific quotes regarding this. We'll never get anywhere at this rate, but I never expected to.

He intentionally downplayed his Muslim ties during the campaign to quell the "fear" that people would have of his ties to Islam. His religion is of no matter to me. However, now that he is in the office he is attempting to promote (at least subtly at first) his ties to Islam.

Probably, in hopes of assuaging the Mulsims around the world prior to his trip. It may be a sensible tactic, but I much prefer politicians that would be entirely upfront during their campaign, and on this issue, he was not.

But, we haven't had a completely transparent politician in at least 50 years, so this doesn't surprise me.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:08 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,394,560 times
When it is beneficial to Obama to be/have been a Muslim, don't worry, he'll play that card. It's all about being an opportunist.

Which way is the wind blowing??????

Old 06-03-2009, 08:19 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,134,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Changing his stance?

First, Obama is not a particularly religious man. That having been said, he was born a Muslim. His father was Muslim and most of his family on his father's side are Muslim. He only converted to Christianity and joined the good Reverend Wright's church to further his political ambitions.

He gives his first radio address on Al Jezerah(sp?), he bows to the Muslim King but pats the Queen of England on the back, he goes to Egypt to give a speech but doesn't stop in to visit Israel, the folks in Palestine were rooting for him in the election, etc., etc., etc.

He IS as Muslim as he can be for a man who is not particularly religious. He won't acknowledge this for political reasons.

- Reel

good points

Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,933,722 times
And yet another indication of his reversal on his ties to Islam.

Quote:
And one of the points I want to make is, is that if you actually took the number of Muslim Americans, we'd be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world.
Quote:
That's right: Barack Hussein Obama. Say it proud. Say it out loud. The middle moniker that dared not speak its name during the election campaign is now front and centre of the US president's attempt to woo the Muslim world, the theme of his visits to Riyadh on Wednesday and Cairo on Thursday.
Petrified of the potential political fallout of being branded a Muslim, Candidate Obama - a practicing Christian - never used the name "Hussein" and its use was frowned upon as a forbidden code for the nutty accusation that he was some kind of Islamic Manchurian candidate.
No more. To say Barack Hussein Obama - BHO for short - now appears to be the height of political correctness.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/toby_ha...s_in_the_world

Last edited by Synopsis; 06-03-2009 at 08:42 AM..

Old 06-03-2009, 08:38 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,068,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Keep deluding yourself. You can only reach so far with a short stick.

Why bring up paranoia? Why are you so paranoid? I'm not afraid of anything, yet you seem to be grasping for any life preserver you can find.

I did not vote for Obama, so I do not have anything to be paranoid about. YOU on the other hand have to watch the destruction unfold before your eyes and know you helped put him in that position.

Yep, I'm fine from where I sit.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:46 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I have nothing against Muslims (at least the non radical types), but it is interesting on how President Obama is now changing his stance on this issue.

The Emergence of President Obama's Muslim Roots - Political Punch
The right wing has a pathetic attitude. Having noticed Jake Tapper and his articles for a few months now, he is a misfit in anything that deals with "news", unless it is Faux News where he will fit right in.

And then, there are believers, who don't get everything yet draw conclusions on limited knowledge and mostly on what they've been told, and then bring it up later as if the other person hid things from you, once again, mostly because you've been "told so" from a published article.

If not for misrepresentations, half-baked truths and sometimes blatant lies, sometimes I wonder about the fate of most politicians and those who support them without thinking twice. While Lee Atwater is a name that comes to mind when I see such instances, the history goes a long way back, a long way back from even McCarthy. Name calling, associations (no matter how stupid and ridiculous) etc are very much a part of the approach.

While it has already been brought up, Obama wrote a book, not last week or two ago, but in 1996: Dreams From My Father, and a copy is sitting right next to me. An excerpt:
"In Indonesia, I'd spent 2 years at a Muslim school, 2 years at a Catholic school. In the Muslim school, the teacher wrote to tell mother I made faces during Koranic studies. In the Catholic school, when it came time to pray, I'd pretend to close my eyes, then peek around the room. Nothing happened. No angels descended."

So, was it just that you didn't know and it took Jake Tapper to tell you what he wanted to (or was it just something you wanted to hear)? Or, what is it that "bothers you"? And why?

Or, are you simply gun shy, having been taken for a ride by typical politicians on a regular basis that you've started to perceive things that don't exist? And find self unable to recognize what is and what isn't, the ability to figure out misrepresentations? What is it that bothers you so much? That he didn't claim to be a Muslim and now somewhere you see he is?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:58 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,480,605 times
LOL...You all are completely insane. You've latched on to commentary and blogs and are treating it as if Obama has come out and said he's muslim...No synopsis, we'll never get anywhere because I understand the difference between setting the record straight and downplaying something. stormy night, why would I be paranoid? If Obama was a muslim I would've still voted for him but the FACT remains that he is and has been a Christian. Only a paranoid person would believe that "we don't know him".

Also synopsis, you keep saying he's "playing up" his ties to muslims..Where? You never detailed the messaged facts or the lies either. Again, the FACTS are that he IS a Christian and that his father was born a Muslim but didn't die one(none of which matters)..Those are FACTS that he never disputed or denied. If the muslim world feels a "kinship" towards him, then so be it. I would hope that he would use it to his advantage.

Conservatives continue to devalue the plausible issues you do have by going overboard about non issues like this one and many others.

I'll leave you all to it.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:27 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,068,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
LOL...You all are completely insane. You've latched on to commentary and blogs and are treating it as if Obama has come out and said he's muslim...No synopsis, we'll never get anywhere because I understand the difference between setting the record straight and downplaying something. stormy night, why would I be paranoid? If Obama was a muslim I would've still voted for him but the FACT remains that he is and has been a Christian. Only a paranoid person would believe that "we don't know him".

Also synopsis, you keep saying he's "playing up" his ties to muslims..Where? You never detailed the messaged facts or the lies either. Again, the FACTS are that he IS a Christian and that his father was born a Muslim but didn't die one(none of which matters)..Those are FACTS that he never disputed or denied. If the muslim world feels a "kinship" towards him, then so be it. I would hope that he would use it to his advantage.

Conservatives continue to devalue the plausible issues you do have by going overboard about non issues like this one and many others.

I'll leave you all to it.
You all are so scared that he'll mess up so badly after all that hype it's pathetic. There is nothing you can say that makes him what you all have made him up to be.

What, no more tactics to bully us into believing he is nothing more than trouble for all of us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies