Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:34 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,204,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How dumb.
Ah, the old I Can't Refute The Message So I'll Say Something Stupid Instead game.

Intelligent and enlightened rebuttal is not your forte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 10:39 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,107,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Less than 1% of our population is Muslim...I guess Obama must have flunked math in school....

Surprising how you didn't provide the complete quote IN CONTEXT, and how the anti-Obama crowd jumped right in and said "amen"

Well, on second thought, not very surprising at all. Intellectually dishonest, yes, surprising, no.

Let me make it easy for you:

"What I want to do is to create a better dialogue so that the Muslim world understands more effectively how the United States but also how the West thinks about many of these difficult issues like terrorism, like democracy, to discuss the framework for what's happened in Iraq and Afghanistan and our outreach to Iran, and also how we view the prospects for peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians.

Now, the flip side is I think that the United States and the West generally, we have to educate ourselves more effectively on Islam. And one of the points I want to make is, is that if you actually took the number of Muslims Americans, we'd be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world. And so there's got to be a better dialogue and a better understanding between the two peoples."

Old 05-10-2010, 11:11 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,224 times
Some of the comments about Obama bowing are ridiculous-that doesn't bother me. But you can't deny his statement about the number of Muslim Americans making the US one of the largest Muslim countries completely false. It's still a very small amount so what am I missing here?

Old 05-10-2010, 11:14 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,107,428 times
There are approximately 6 million American Muslims, according to the link below.

http://www.islamfortoday.com/historyusa4.htm (broken link)

I dunno, 6 million is a pretty significant number.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:20 PM

49 posts, read 28,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
There are approximately 6 million American Muslims, according to the link below.

Islam in the United States - Official State Department Fact Sheet (http://www.islamfortoday.com/historyusa4.htm - broken link)

I dunno, 6 million is a pretty significant number.
CONTEXT!!!!! 6 out of 300 is nothing.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:32 PM

412 posts, read 404,934 times
It's obvious that he was referring to the fact that we have somewhere between 3 to 7 million muslims living in the US. This is a prime example of why context is important.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:38 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,980 times
And one of the points I want to make is, is that if you actually took the number of Muslims Americans, we’d be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world.

If you actually took the number means that you are looking at numbers not percentages and somewhat speaking hypothetically. He's simply saying there may not be a high percentage of Muslims in the U.S. but there are a large number of them. Its ridiculous how people on this forum try to twist everything. Many major cities in the U.S. have a significant Muslim population there's nothing more to what he said than that. Its like if I said "If you look at the muslim presence in Chicago, New York, Detroit they have some of the largest numbers of Muslims of any cities in the world" And if you want to get technical like a previous poster said 75% larger than most countries in the world would still be considered "one of the largest." One of the largest is a broad term its up to the speaker/writer or reader to determine what they mean by it.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
And one of the points I want to make is, is that if you actually took the number of Muslims Americans, we’d be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world.

If you actually took the number means that you are looking at numbers not percentages and somewhat speaking hypothetically. He's simply saying there may not be a high percentage of Muslims in the U.S. but there are a large number of them. Its ridiculous how people on this forum try to twist everything. Many major cities in the U.S. have a significant Muslim population there's nothing more to what he said than that. Its like if I said "If you look at the muslim presence in Chicago, New York, Detroit they have some of the largest numbers of Muslims of any cities in the world" And if you want to get technical like a previous poster said 75% larger than most countries in the world would still be considered "one of the largest." One of the largest is a broad term its up to the speaker/writer or reader to determine what they mean by it.
There may be a "large number" of Muslims in the country (somewhere between 2.4 and 6 million, by estimates) but we are well behind Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Ethiopia, Iran, Iraq, Malaysia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sudan, Syria, Tanzania, Tunisia, Turkey, Uzbekistan, and Yeman all having double and triple digit million Muslim populations. Compared to them we are not "one of the largest Muslim countries in the world". That the US has more Muslims than countless other, much smaller countries, does not put it into the same league as the countries listed above. We are a middling player in the "largest Muslim country" contest.

List of countries by Muslim population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-10-2010, 01:52 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphels View Post
CONTEXT!!!!! 6 out of 300 is nothing.
300 million out of 7 billion is nothing. That doesn't make America any less significant in terms of being one of the most populous countries in the world. In India, Christians are only 3% of the Indian population, yet, in terms of number of people there are almost as many Christians (if not more) as the population of Canada.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
300 million out of 7 billion is nothing. That doesn't make America any less significant in terms of being one of the most populous countries in the world. In India, Christians are only 3% of the Indian population, yet, in terms of number of people there are almost as many Christians (if not more) as the population of Canada.
By extrapolation then, if one considers the actual numbers of Christians in India, it is one of the largest Christian countries in the world. Ummmmm....I'm not buying that any more than I buy the US being one of world's largest Muslim countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies