Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:51 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
You really need to get a hobby or better still take anger management classes.

I wasn't the one who got her knickers in a twist because a woman told a man what to do. Maybe you should try reading some other posts...ya know, the ones who darn near got the vapors because Boxer made a request and got her way....

AND:

YOU need to address the posts and not the poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
But the General is Military and he was speaking as he would have to any woman... With respect, Ma'am
Once againnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nn

HE did not rule the situation....the military does NOT rule this country and every situation...you obviously wish it did but it doesn't.

Did you read the exchange? Understand it? No.

She requested, he changed.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
She didn't rebuke him, she politely asked him to call her by her title. The general would likely do the same to someone who called him "soldier." People in the military understand that quite well. This is an "issue" only for those who have never served.
There was nothing polite about that exchange, except w/ how the General was a gentleman about the whole thing.

Barbara Boxer looked like a fool. She should be more concerned about "doing the people's business" (wh/ is what she was supposedly elected to do) than puffing herself up over her own self-assigned importance.

Perhaps learning a little humility would serve her better than acting like the Queen of Hearts sitting on her throne - "off with their heads!!!"

I was embarrassed at her arrogant attitude. It's not like she has ever really DONE anything - not like she found the cure for cancer.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:21 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
But the General is Military and he was speaking as he would have to any woman... With respect, Ma'am
No he was not. He would address another general (woman or man) as "general." He would address the President as "Mr. President." He would address a cabinet secretary as "Mr" or "Ms" "Secretary."

Old 06-21-2009, 03:22 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There was nothing polite about that exchange, except w/ how the General was a gentleman about the whole thing.

Barbara Boxer looked like a fool. She should be more concerned about "doing the people's business" (wh/ is what she was supposedly elected to do) than puffing herself up over her own self-assigned importance.

Perhaps learning a little humility would serve her better than acting like the Queen of Hearts sitting on her throne - "off with their heads!!!"

I was embarrassed at her arrogant attitude. It's not like she has ever really DONE anything - not like she found the cure for cancer.
Clearly you never served. IMO the general handled himself well, but then she had nailed him dead to rights; her title is Senator, he should use it as she should refer to him as General. That's the was it works.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:50 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Is this figurative or literal. Why don't you throw your shoes at her too.
EXCELLENT IDEA! Hope he's as good an aim as that guy who chunked his footgear @ Great Warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I agree, a total power play by an inconsequential gnat. Will Californians have enough sense and savvy to get rid of this creature once and for all next time around?
Californians have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the majority of them love and adore inconsequential gnats who have big egos.

"I worked hard for this." Sounds like Billy "Stains" Clinton: "Ahh'm workin hord for th American people."

Pleeeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
She didn't say she was offended. She asked him to " do me a favor" he said ok, she said thanks.

No bg deal
Voice tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Unless you live in California, she doesn't work for you.
Yes and no. United States Senator. She works for all of us, she represents--supposedly--Californeeians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Clearly you never served. IMO the general handled himself well, but then she had nailed him dead to rights; her title is Senator, he should use it as she should refer to him as General. That's the was it works.
title: 1. the name of a book, chapter, poem, essay, picture, statue, piece of music, play, movie, etc. 4. an appellation given to a person as a sign of privilege, distinction, rank, or profession

titled: having a title, esp. of nobility

Webster's New World College Dictionary

What I want to know is when, exactly, did Congress in its infinite wisdom start referring to themselves as "The Honorable"?

THAT, far more than "senator," is something that must be earned, not granted.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:04 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Senator Boxer was correct in requesting to be addressed by her title. It was a formal Senate hearing and she is a sitting Senator. Military officers need to respect our elected representatives. End of story.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:09 PM

25 posts, read 12,852 times
The she should have said , Please address me as Senator, and shut her slimey mouth.

All the crap about how she earned it and blah blah blah was an insult and attack on the General.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:53 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I wasn't the one who got her knickers in a twist because a woman told a man what to do. Maybe you should try reading some other posts...ya know, the ones who darn near got the vapors because Boxer made a request and got her way....

AND:

YOU need to address the posts and not the poster.
I have explained the whys but you sound like such a man hater you refuse to accept any view but your own.

And as you have said. If it had been a man this wouldn't have been an issue. And I agree, because a man wouldn't be so petty.

It does show how much you support the troops.

As for addressing the post not the poster. It's done all over this board. The exchanging of opinions and ideas but most of the time on here it's a lot of sarcasm. It's what keeps a message board rolling.
But I'm sure others have their opinions about that too.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
I have explained the whys but you sound like such a man hater you refuse to accept any view but your own.

And as you have said. If it had been a man this wouldn't have been an issue. And I agree, because a man wouldn't be so petty.

It does show how much you support the troops.

As for addressing the post not the poster. It's done all over this board. The exchanging of opinions and ideas but most of the time on here it's a lot of sarcasm. It's what keeps a message board rolling.
But I'm sure others have their opinions about that too.
Oh ya , shoulda known the "man hater" thing would squirm out from under a rock at the mere suggestion of sexual equality.
Yupppers, all those women who want respect, the vote, equal pay...they ALL just hate men and that's why they want those things ...it all revolves around men...agree with them and their "rules" or you're a man hater

Oh, ya and because it was directed at the Holy Military if you don't agree you don't support the troops.....LOL! ...all the old bumper sticker "this oughtta keep 'em in their place" BS....

Ya, men aren't that petty...just the ones who want to be addressed as "Father", "Reverend", "Sir", "Doctor", "Mr. President", "Your Honor"

And NONE would be so petty as to tell a
Senator on the Senate floor, in front of his wife, at a public event , to "F--- Off"....but DICK Cheney did.

NOTHING petty about that

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 06-21-2009 at 07:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies