Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 10:11 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I know--for a fact--that we are all facing a very, very uncertain future. And that our planet is in the process of dying. It will probably survive--but only once the human species has sufficiently diminished to the point that it no longer has the power to overwhelm Nature. No scientist disputes this.
utterly hilarious. i'm a scientist, and i dispute it. of the dozens of scientists i know and work with, i know of none that believe in your screaming-meemee chicken little planet-is-dying scenario. [counting seconds before MF demands evidence of their ph.d's in climatology..]

Quote:
They are very, very worried. We should all be worried. This isn't about "scare tactics." This is about facing the most immobilizing, unimaginable reality possible.
it is indeed about scare tactics. your terror practically radiates off my LCD flatscreen.

Quote:
I gave you some really cool links. I thought that maybe--just maybe--unlike the other dunderheads on this forum, you might actually be open to exploring the kind of work scientists and entrepreneurs are doing to combat the very real threat to the planet--and our survival. If you choose to close your eyes and insist that they--and people like me, who actually teach about climate change and sustainability--are simply bought-off or stupid, incapable of balanced research or critical thinking--then there's nothing anyone in good faith can do to communicate with you on this topic.
you generally keep posting the same 'how to talk to a global warming denier' links over and over and over again, so i'm afraid i've become rather oblivious to them. did you check out my 'really cool links?'
what is it that you teach, exactly?

Quote:
But what I find most disturbing of all is that you, and other climate change deniers, appear completely unconcerned that your denial may be putting not only yourself, but the rest of us as well, at risk.
good grief man, you win the all-time prize for melodrama, hands-down

how exactly am i putting myself and the 'rest of us' at risk by posting opinions and links on an internet forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,661 posts, read 2,904,049 times
First attached image is from: http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/101xx/doc...nge_forWeb.pdf

Quote:
Source: Congressional Budget Office. Historical data are from the Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research, http://hadobs.
metoffice.com/hadcrut3/diagnostics/global/nh+sh/annual...

Note: The projection, which is interpolated from decadal averages beginning in 1995, shows the possible distribution of changes in average
global temperature as a result of human influence, relative to the 1981–2000 average and given current understanding of the climate.
Under the Sokolov study’s assumptions, the probability is 10 percent that the actual global temperature will fall in the darkest area and
90 percent that it will fall within the whole shaded area. However, actual temperatures could be affected by factors that were not
addressed in the study (such as volcanic activity and the variability of solar radiation) and whose effects are not included in the figure.
Second attached image shows co2 and temperature in synch.
From: Greenhouse Gases, Global Warming, and Climate Change: Part One « can’t see the forest
Attached Thumbnails
Global Temperatures Plunge .74F-temperture.jpg   Global Temperatures Plunge .74F-tempgif.gif  

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it isn't possible.
The models they are using are GIGO.

Quote:
it is indeed about scare tactics. your terror practically radiates off my LCD flatscreen.
They sure did reel her in, didn't they? They've got her scared sh*tless.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
OK, I just bothered to skim your first link. I hardly think any change over a 3 year period is enough to draw any conclusion from, comment on, or write an article on. Try decades worth of data.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
A couple of perspectives from businessmen. . .

Ray Anderson (who calls himself a "recovering plunderer"):

Ray Anderson on the business logic of sustainability | Video on TED.com

John Doerr (who can't even finish his talk because he frigging starts to cry):

John Doerr sees salvation and profit in greentech | Video on TED.com

Old 07-08-2009, 10:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Your data is old. 2000 and 199x.
There is new data more current that questions the very predictions in your charts.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
utterly hilarious. i'm a scientist, and i dispute it. of the dozens of scientists i know and work with, i know of none that believes in your screaming-meemee chicken little planet-is-dying scenario.

you generally keep posting the same 'how to talk to a global warming denier' links over and over and over again, so i'm afraid i've become rather oblivious to them. did you check out my 'really cool links?'
what is it that you teach, exactly?

good grief man, you win the all-time prize for melodrama, hands-down

how exactly am i putting myself and the 'rest of us' at risk by posting opinions and links on an internet forum?
Are you a climate scientist? Biologist? Ethologist?

I guess you know more, then, than people like E.O. Wilson. Better shoot him an email and tell him how very wrong and "melodramatic" he is.

Your denial, and the denial of the other ignorant people in this country, makes it difficult to make the kind of environmental progress that we absolutely must make, if we are to have any realistic hope.

You're damned straight I'm in "terror." And if you had half a brain, you would be, too.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
huh?? Again, just because YOU don't understand it...

Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Latest Global Temperatures « Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

Quote:
Roy W. Spencer received his Ph.D. in meteorology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1981. Before becoming a Principal Research Scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville in 2001, he was a Senior Scientist for Climate Studies at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, where he and Dr. John Christy received NASA’s Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal for their global temperature monitoring work with satellites. Dr. Spencer’s work with NASA continues as the U.S. Science Team leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer flying on NASA’s Aqua satellite. He has provided congressional testimony several times on the subject of global warming.
Try this link MF.

Here's a neat site for monitoring global temperatures.

http://discover.itsc.uah.edu/amsutemps/amsutemps.html

Old 07-08-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

They sure did reel her in, didn't they? They've got her scared sh*tless.
Who's "they," sanrene?

What kind of education do YOU have in climate change and sustainability?

The fact is, you know NOTHING. LESS than nothing. You simply scan the internet, looking for wingnut sites that support your politically-driven compulsion to denial.

And you love to mock. Mock, mock, mock. Which is pretty funny, considering you actual level of KNOWLEDGE is virtually ZERO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies