Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:31 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Can somebody please explain me why republicans think that "video games are bad and we should protect our kids from violence"
But then say that everybody (including kids) should be completely free to go anywhere with a loaded gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Can somebody please explain me why republicans think that "video games are bad and we should protect our kids from violence"
But then say that everybody (including kids) should be completely free to go anywhere with a loaded gun.
For the same reason that rap lyrics are considered bad and we shouldn't allow
our kids to hear them...ostensibly because these things can be construed as
leading to violence. Guns, on the other hand, are treated differently; we tend to ignore the fact that nearly 30,000 people die from gunshot wounds in the
U.S. every year. It doesn't make sense to me either, Dopo. I hope that a good dialogue starts from your post.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:54 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,882 times
please show me a quote from a conservative saying that kids should be allowed to go anywhere with a loaded gun.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:56 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,533 times
I like guns and video games.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:57 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
There's nothing in our Constitution that reads:

"The right to keep and bear violent video games shall not be infringed"

Old 07-11-2009, 01:43 AM

318 posts, read 950,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
please show me a quote from a conservative saying that kids should be allowed to go anywhere with a loaded gun.
Seriously, I don't know any conservatives that advocate allowing kids to have concealed carry. Hunting is one thing, but right to bear arms as a protectionary measure is another. You've clearly forgotten to distinguish between social conservatives and constitutionalists. They're not lumped into one mumbo jumbo group that you call the right wing.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:24 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
since we're painting with a broad brush here, why do democrats favor abortion, but not the death penalty?

Old 07-11-2009, 09:36 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It was conservatives that said video games are bad? I thought it was the liberals agenda... are you sure you are getting your fiction straight? HR5990 was introduced with backing from Democrats... what are you smoking?

Old 07-11-2009, 09:39 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
Best Age for a first Handgun?
Quote:
My grand nephew is graduating from kindergarten, and although his secular parents would have a fit, I'm considering getting him his first handgun. Five year old boys are prime targets for child predators and Catholic priests, and I want him to be able to defend himself. Is five too young for a first handgun? I don't want him to start first grade without some protection.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:42 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
For the same reason that rap lyrics are considered bad and we shouldn't allow
our kids to hear them...ostensibly because these things can be construed as
leading to violence. Guns, on the other hand, are treated differently; we tend to ignore the fact that nearly 30,000 people die from gunshot wounds in the
U.S. every year. It doesn't make sense to me either, Dopo. I hope that a good dialogue starts from your post.
Moderator cut: rude and uncalled for comment
this chart shows the numbers of homicides with guns at 9659.00 including justifiable ones!

Expanded Homicide Data Table 7 - Crime in the United States 2007 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/offenses/expanded_information/data/shrtable_07.html - broken link)

Last edited by katzenfreund; 07-11-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies