Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Pay No Attention To The Man Behind The Curtain! - He's on Welfare!
what???

Regarding ergohead being a truther, the evidence is in the posts. Look for yourself- A good friend told me that 9/11/2001 was an inside job. Can that be true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:30 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
what???

Regarding ergohead being a truther, the evidence is in the posts. Look for yourself- A good friend told me that 9/11/2001 was an inside job. Can that be true?
My good man, I am as much a "truther" as you are a liar.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
My good man, I am as much a "truther" as you are a liar.
How exactly am I a liar? What single shred of evidence do you have to support this? If the answer is none, as I know it is, this sir makes YOU the liar.

I have wasted all the time I'm going to waste talking to someone who believes and propagates the utter nonsense that you do.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
How exactly am I a liar? What single shred of evidence do you have to support this? If the answer is none, as I know it is, this sir makes YOU the liar.

I have wasted all the time I'm going to waste talking to someone who believes and propagates the utter nonsense that you do.
"Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk".

Henry David Thoreau

Old 07-20-2009, 07:36 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Specifics, please. What was the difference between what you were paid as a public "clerical" employee doing clerical work for any agency which provided services for the poor and needy and the money you say you would have been paid to do the same job in the private sector? And what type of comparable job are you talking about?

Did you work for a federal or state agency which provided services for the poor and needy? Or did you work in a clerical position in some other type of state or federal agency?

We are talking about low-level bureaucrats who WORK IN THE WELFARE AGENCIES in state and federal government. Did you make $40,000 per year doing your clerical job??
My annual salary far exceeded $40,000 and yes, I was on the low end of the totem pole.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
The Bible always addresses tax collectors as similar to pagans, prostitutes, gluttons, drunkards and other "sinners". The charity Christ spoke of toward the poor is obviously one of individual responsibility and not a perverted Robin Hood system where theft is combined with charity.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
The Bible always addresses tax collectors as similar to pagans, prostitutes, gluttons, drunkards and other "sinners". The charity Christ spoke of toward the poor is obviously one of individual responsibility and not a perverted Robin Hood system where theft is combined with charity.
Excellent!

Old 07-20-2009, 11:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
The circle jerk of conservative logical fallacy.

When asked about Christian duty to the poor the argument is that it is up to the individual not the state.

When it is pointed out that Christians have failed in that individual duty, the argument shift to there really aren't worthy poor in the first place.

When it is pointed out that there are indeed worthy poor, the argument shifts back to, it is up to the individual not the state and we begin the clown dance all over again.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
For anyone interested on tax policy, government spending on the poor and Christian obligation...

What is the moral duty of all Alabamians professing faith in God? The Bible has a great deal to
say. The Old Testament Books of Isaiah (1:17;5:8;10:1-4), Amos (2:6-8;5:7,10-11,14-15;5:21-
24;8:4-6) and Micah (2:1-2,9;6:8), and the New Testament Gospel of Matthew (25:45) strongly
condemns those who claim to be the People of God yet do nothing towards changing conditions
that economically oppress the poorest and neediest persons and deny them a minimum
opportunity to improve their lives. Jesus Himself made this clear when He said “whatever you
did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.” What does this require? At the
very least all Alabamians professing faith in God have a moral duty to vote for candidates
running for political office who promise to work for tax reform efforts that will correct these
unjust conditions suffered by the poorest and neediest Alabamians and their children.

However the moral duty of some Alabamians is far greater. The Old Testament Books of
Isaiah (1:23;5:22-23), Jeremiah (22:2-4,12-17), Ezekiel (22:25-29;34:2-4), and Micah (3:11;3:1-
3) and the New Testament Gospels of Matthew (23:23-24) and Luke (12:48) impose even greater
moral responsibilities on those who enjoy greater privileges because of their education, wealth,
status or access to the power structures. Jesus Himself made this clear when He said “from
everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been
entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” Alabamians of privilege who profess faith in
God, yet act in ways designed to confuse the truth in order to avoid paying their fair share,
should be mindful of Jesus’ warning (Matthew 6:24 and Luke 16:13) that “you cannot serve both
God and money.” Any efforts to falsely convince others that the current tax structure is
acceptable to God violates God’s moral demands just as much as the tax structure itself.

http://www.law.ua.edu/susanhamill/taxreform-summary.pdf

Susan Pace Hamill, an expert in tax avoidance at the University of Alabama Law School who holds a master's degree in divinity from the conservative Christian, Beeson Divinity School.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/25/business/25tax.html

WHO WOULD JESUS TAX? THE SAGA OF SUSAN PACE HAMILL'S ALABAMA TAX CRUSADE

Old 07-20-2009, 11:42 PM

Ovcatto:

You are obviously struggling to understand so I will break it down real simple for you.

Quote:
When asked about Christian duty to the poor the argument is that it is up to the individual not the state.
The Bible commands Christians to give to the poor. The Bible DOES NOT call for a welfare state where individuals are forced to forefeit their money to a government that then decides how to distribute it.

Quote:
When it is pointed out that Christians have failed in that individual duty, the argument shift to there really aren't worthy poor in the first place.
You have in NO WAY proven that Christians have failed in that individual duty.

Quote:
When it is pointed out that there are indeed worthy poor, the argument shifts back to, it is up to the individual not the state and we begin the clown dance all over again.
There most certainly are worthy poor. Christians should ABSOLUTELY help the worthy poor and are commanded to do so in the Bible.

Many Christians believe that the government is not a good chooser of who the worthy poor are and often include those who are lazy with the worthy poor. This should make everyone angry as it waters down what is available tot he worthy poor.

What exactly is it that you are having such a difficult time understanding here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies