Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:13 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,564,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
History and culture play big roles in this, but yes, urban areas are more likely to be "blue" for a variety of reasons.
even in "red states" like Texas there are many large urban areas that vote dem... there's really no such thing as a blue or red state, just shades of purple... can't we all just get along...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:14 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,846,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
To me, I think the biggest reason urban areas vote democratic is because the people are more exposed to different types of culture, people, life, food, etc. It just makes sense. I'm not ripping on anyone, it's just how it is. If I would've stayed in Menomonee Falls, who knows, I may have been a republican. Although, I was close enough to Milwaukee that I was constantly going there before I moved out of my parents house.

you'd be shocked at what you run into in the rural south. I remember going to a friends wedding, and seeing the lousiana creole people. that was freaking crazy. hell, louisiana still has napoleon law.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:15 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,574,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
you'd be shocked at what you run into in the rural south. I remember going to a friends wedding, and seeing the lousiana creole people. that was freaking crazy. hell, louisiana still has napoleon law.
napoleon law?? Enlighten.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:16 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Some Southern states do vote white against black and there are simply more white people. MS is a good example as is AL. Other Southern States like VA, NC, FL and to a lesser extent GA and SC tend to have more northern immigrants, cosmopolitan cities or are have otherwise less racially polarized voting patterns among whites due to greater numbers of liberal whites.

Polarized southern states
Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Less Polarized southern states
yeah, those northern whites certainly hooked us up with bev purdue didn't they. that's called the side effect of the straight ticket.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:16 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,346,671 times
education, income, and tradition

Old 07-13-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:

barry couldn't practice law in louisiana.

Napoleonic code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-13-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
education, income, and tradition

are you saying the minorities in the south are uneducated? that borders on racism. new hampshire is quite educated, and they voted for bush in 00.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:

the state is also divided up into parishes instead of counties. it's a weird freaking state.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,564,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
are you saying the minorities in the south are uneducated? that borders on racism. new hampshire is quite educated, and they voted for bush in 00.

and very much a part of the caucasian nation... are you racist????

man, the fake outrage is a a rediculously high level in this country...

Old 07-13-2009, 07:23 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,507,676 times
Red=less government
Blue= More government
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies