Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 03:49 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Pot is simply for stoners and has no medical benefits.
You don't seem to be reading the posts on this thread otherwise you would've read quite a few examples of people who smoke pot for their pain. Such as my story about my friend & jillz story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 04:19 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
I also have MS. I find that a small amount of Marijuana helps to lessen muscle rigidity and spasms.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:33 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
You don't seem to be reading the posts on this thread otherwise you would've read quite a few examples of people who smoke pot for their pain. Such as my story about my friend & jillz story.
Yeah, right. We also have patients who abuse narcotics and benzodiazepines to get high. I see those patients every day. There are also legit patients who take narcotics for pain.

Fortunately, medicine is based in evidence and randomized, controlled, prospective studies. Anecdotes and BS are simply that- BS. The plural of anecdotes is not "data", or a study. If you will, and just humor me, find me a randomized blinded prospective study showing that marijuana is superior to conventional medical therapy. You know what? There is no such paper. Try as they might, NORML and the stoners cannot sufficiently fake data to support thier political views. Even liberal doctors know the difference between science and anecdotal BS. We do not live in the touchy feely world of witchcraft and anecdotes. We need evidence and a good therapeutic to toxicty profile to subscribe and promote the use of meds. Pot fails miserably in this arena.

Again, I am a professional and do this every day. If you are a stoner, so be it. But please don't insult me and suggest that you are smoking pot for "medical reasons". You want to get stoned. Just like alcoholics and meth addicts, you are looking for a drug related escape. Whatever you want to do is fine. But do not confuse drug abuse with medicine.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:03 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,836 times
Quote:
This is just silly. Merinol and or pot are very poor analgesics. I know the literture very well in this area and do this for a living. When people cannot tolerate meds, Provigel or Ritalin can be used to decrease sedation/fatigue. The use of pot for MS borders on the ridiculous, as exactly what receptor/drug benefit from THC results in a demyelinating disorder? The short answer- none. Stoner benefit- alot.

Pot is simply for stoners and has no medical benefits. The contention that it is a "medicine" is promoted ny NORML and stoners such that they would like thier pot to be paid for by insurance. Again, if you want to get high, just do it. But don't presume that you are smoking weed for "medical" purposes. LSD used to be used for "LSD interviews" in psychiatry in the 1950s and early 1960s before medicine realized that technique was useless and potentially harmful. We learned.

I am not "in the pocket" of the pharmaceutical industry. No company has ever given me money, trinkets, or trips. We prescribe what medicine works the best and I personally do not care what med that is, as long as it is effective. The political movement of stoners has supplanted good sense and judgement in an effort to legitimize thier drug habit. Just face it if you are a stoner, and do not try to elevate your drug habit as a "treatment". Pot has all the medicinal benefit of alcohol, methamphetamine, cocaine (at least that one is a local anesthetic still used in ENT), and LSD.
I guess my personal experience and others are pure bs because we are just stoners looking for an excuse to partake. Sure. When you or ANY other doctor has had my health experience AND tried ALL the pharmaceuticals that are dispensed THEN I will listen to you.

Have you had the leg tremors that are part of MS? Have you had the shocking pain that rips through my head and face that occurs because of my MS? Have you tried Lyrica? Have you tried Neurontin? My doctor hasn't tried these meds because he has no reason to. He listens to his patients about their experience. I am not going to argue the research behind it nor amI going to believe your links because I have first hand proof that it helps me. I believe what works for me AND the countless others that think your beliefs on the help that mj provides are bs. I am not going to tell my friend that has debilitating Parkinson's that the pot she smokes REALLY isn't helping her tremors. I tend to believe her because I have seen how much better she is.

I am glad you are not my doctor and in charge of my pain. Doctors are not god and when they are closed minded, they are dangerous. By the way, my ms was diagnosed 6 months later than it had to be because a doctor who thought he knew it all assumed I was making it up and would not test me for anything. Had he ordered an MRI, he would have seen the lesions on my spine and brain. He and other doctors like him can suck it.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah right? I see, so I'm lying & so is jillz. Like I mentioned earlier, do us all a favor, page back thru & look at our posts & then come back & talk like an adult to us. And did I even mention myself smoking pot for medicinal reasons? PLEASE! Hell no, I smoke pot cause I love it!

Yep. You are a stoner. I don't care if you smoke pot. Just don't involve the medical profession in your drug addiction by trying to promote pseudo-science to legitimize your problem. Stoner- smoke away! Pot is a sedative hypnotic with poor analgesic qualities. You would not percieve pain to the same degree if you are under a general anesthetic as well, however, it is not a profound analgesic- it is a good amnestic and anesthetic.

Here is a primer for you pot heads on the science. There is alot more, but I do not have the four years of medical school and five years of residency to teach you. BTW- I do teach medical students and residents. If any of them spouted this anecdotal nonsense, I would give them a dressing down until they cried like a girl. Medicine is the physical and pharmocologic extension of science and has no room for BS. BS can kill patients and get you sued. Try using the "touchy feely" anecdotes in front of a trial lawyer and a jury- I don't think that they will see your way. Why? Becuase it has no basis in fact and anecdotes will not satisfy a hungry trial lawyer or an angry family.

If you are not a doctor- don't practice medicine.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=6376&page=137

Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:

If you are not a doctor- don't practice medicine.

Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base
Pot meet kettle. DERRR!!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Pot meet kettle. DERRR!!!!
I am guessing that you did not read that primer. The stoners just hate science, as it proves them wrong. It is better to argue with personal anecdotes and gibberish, rather than read the medical literature. This is why lay people are not good doctors...............ummmm........they did not go to medical school or residency and have no training or ability to objectively evaluate the literature.

Again, if you are a stoner- smoke away! But do not kid yourself you are smoking for "medical reasons". There are none. That is an effort to legitimize pot smoking so you don't consider yourself a drug addict. It helps you to assuage some of the guilt of being a pot smoker. But hey, what do I know. I am only Board Certified by the National Board of Medical Examiners in this subject. Better to trust the anecdotes of a pot smoker than someone who knows the literature, pharmacology and physiology. Where did you get your medical degree, residency and fellowship again?

It is the same reason that engineers often turn to elementay school children for advice on bridge construction. The children know nothing about engineering theory and advanced mathematics, so they are the best sources for knowledge and will provide great anecdotes on making toy bridges and drawings. It is the same for amateur medicine.

Now I understand how liberals think. Nonsense= good sense. If it feels good, do it. Dont' trust anybody over 30.....oh I forgot......all the hippies are in their late 50s and 60s. Trust them now.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
I guess my personal experience and others are pure bs because we are just stoners looking for an excuse to partake. Sure. When you or ANY other doctor has had my health experience AND tried ALL the pharmaceuticals that are dispensed THEN I will listen to you.

Have you had the leg tremors that are part of MS? Have you had the shocking pain that rips through my head and face that occurs because of my MS? Have you tried Lyrica? Have you tried Neurontin? My doctor hasn't tried these meds because he has no reason to. He listens to his patients about their experience. I am not going to argue the research behind it nor amI going to believe your links because I have first hand proof that it helps me. I believe what works for me AND the countless others that think your beliefs on the help that mj provides are bs. I am not going to tell my friend that has debilitating Parkinson's that the pot she smokes REALLY isn't helping her tremors. I tend to believe her because I have seen how much better she is.

I am glad you are not my doctor and in charge of my pain. Doctors are not god and when they are closed minded, they are dangerous. By the way, my ms was diagnosed 6 months later than it had to be because a doctor who thought he knew it all assumed I was making it up and would not test me for anything. Had he ordered an MRI, he would have seen the lesions on my spine and brain. He and other doctors like him can suck it.
I can also tell a few things about you, simply by your marijuanna use-

1. You are currently treated for depression or manic depression

2. You currently use at least two antidepressants

3. You have an 85% chance of having abused prescription narcotics or other street durgs

4. You have three or greater drug allergies

5. Your pain has been described in a "non-physiological distribution"

6. You are statistically much more likely to have suffered sexual abuse as a child

7. You are currently unemployed

8. You have more than a high school education- don't despair- that is a plus!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:44 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I don't think it will generate the billions it claims. People are currently used to buying it from non-govt dealers. Whatever the government will sell it for with tax, the illegal dealers who already have an infrastructure, will sell at a discount.
Pretty much. If they legalize marijuana the dealers will just start selling two dimes for a nick Nobody's going to pay tax on weed - hell you're already being taxed on the blunt isn't that enough!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I can also tell a few things about you, simply by your marijuanna use-

1. You are currently treated for depression or manic depression

2. You currently use at least two antidepressants

3. You have an 85% chance of having abused prescription narcotics or other street durgs

4. You have three or greater drug allergies

5. Your pain has been described in a "non-physiological distribution"

6. You are statistically much more likely to have suffered sexual abuse as a child

7. You are currently unemployed

8. You have more than a high school education- don't despair- that is a plus!
What you don't know is a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies