Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:58 AM

785 posts, read 1,050,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
What is "the American way of life"?? I hear cons use this catch phrase all the time but nobody can tell me what it means. I didn't know there was any one way of life that was the "American" way of life.
For alot of these people conservative values = American way of life; anything left of center = Unamerican. Hey you wingnut, lunatic wackos; we're American too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
You need to go and visit another country, almost any other counry and you may get an idea of how to answer your question. There is a new generation in this country that because their primary exposure has been to leftist indoctrination of the public schools system and an inability to think for themselves has resulted in failure to realize the blessing of being an enculturated American. It is sad for you.
I'm from the far left and feel that Obama must be alot more progressive. I've been to 10 foreign countries, (China, Finland, Mexico, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Venezuela, Argentina, Uraguay, Paraguay, Chile) I have lived in Chile (a right-wing hellhole) 3 times and I unfortunately live in Chile right now. My experiences abroad have made me realize that I used to take alot of things that any American has for granted and have assured me even more about the negative effects that right-wing policies have.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:13 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,003,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
I'm from the far left and feel that Obama must be alot more progressive. I've been to 10 foreign countries, (China, Finland, Mexico, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Venezuela, Argentina, Uraguay, Paraguay, Chile) I have lived in Chile (a right-wing hellhole) 3 times and I unfortunately live in Chile right now. My experiences abroad have made me realize that I used to take alot of things that any American has for granted and have assured me even more about the negative effects that right-wing policies have.
Remmeber 1973?

Allende?

Pinochet?

Who created that coup?

Old 07-26-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Describe his lies, and the damage he has done, please?
I'll do that. He promised to have all of the troops out of Iraq within the first 16 months of his presidency with a small residual force left behind; the 16 months changed to 19 months and the small residual force is going to be 35,000-50,000 people. He promise not to hire lobbyists then turned around and hired defense lobbyist, William Lynn, and Monsanto lobbyist, Michael Taylor. He promised to bail out Main Street and has only continued Bush's TARP plan bailing out Wall Street. Do you see a trend here? The promises that he's breaking are promises that he made to the left, not the right. I should be upset, and I am to a certain extent. I should be accusing him of breaking promises, not the right winger that you responded to.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:16 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,003,662 times
Quote:
I'll do that. He promised to have all of the troops out of Iraq within the first 16 months of his presidency with a small residual force left behind; the 16 months changed to 19 months and the small residual force is going to be 35,000-50,000 people. He promise not to hire lobbyists then turned around and hired defense lobbyist, William Lynn, and Monsanto lobbyist, Michael Taylor. He promised to bail out Main Street and has only continued Bush's TARP plan bailing out Wall Street. Do you see a trend here? The promises that he's breaking are promises that he made to the left, not the right. I should be upset, and I am to a certain extent. I should be accusing him of breaking promises, not the right winger that you responded to.
Obama is a Corporatist who ran as a Progressive.

It's that simple, and that disgusting.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Remmeber 1973?

Allende?

Pinochet?

Who created that coup?
Richard Nixon, Henry Kissinger and the CIA. Allende's goverment was doing wonderful for the first year and a half. He nationalized a lot of private companies, which created alot of jobs. He increased wages and helped workers organize into unions. Because of this, many poor people who never had money before had money all of a sudden; they went out and spent this money and it really stimulated the economy.

Towards the middle of Allende's presidency, things started to go bad. The Nixon administration had made it so that international credit wasn't available to Chile. The CIA exchanged dollars for pesos on the black market and paid the main distribution centers , warehouses, and trucking companies to hault distribution and transportation of products. They did this and it resulted in massive food shortages. Many stores would be out of basic items, such as bread and eggs, and once people found a store that had these items, they'd have to spend hours in line to make their purchases. All these items were available on the black market for alot more money. The products that wern't on the black market also became more expensive due to the reduced supply and increased demand. People weren't spending money because they didn't have any products available to spend money on and the economy shrunk, creating stagflation. Allende tried to freeze prices, but it didn't help much.

The CIA assasinated Allende's general, Rene Schnider and forced his next general, Carlos Pratts, to resign. Allende then appointed Pinochet, who carried out a military coup with the assistance of the CIA, which ended the presidency and life of Salvador Allende. He later had Carlos Pratts killed, along with many others, including Americans.

Last edited by jfields; 07-26-2009 at 12:54 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 12:33 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I cannot believe the damage this man has done to my country. And it is just started, it makes me sick that so many people fell for his lies and looks.
And we haven't seen all secret desires yet!!!!!! He kept them covered so well.

another satisfied customer you must being sleeping for the past 5+ yrs, i can understand people like u i really cant, you make no sense what so ever

Old 07-26-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Obama is a Corporatist who ran as a Progressive.

It's that simple, and that disgusting.
I don't think this is necessarily true. For example in 2002 he was against the Iraq war and in 2003 he said that he supported single-payer health care. He has turned to the right and here's why. The corporations, their lobbyists and right wing interest groups are putting alot of pressure on Obama to support their interests. On the other hand, most progressives are chearleading for Obama instead of holding his feet to the fire, making sure he carries out his promises, and forcing him to make his agenda more progressive. This is the main reason Obama is doing what he's doing; he's caving into pressure on the right and from the corporate elite. We need to be pressuring him so that he caves into the pressure of the left and develops a more progressive agenda.

I saw an interview with Cornell West the other day. He mentioned that Lincoln was in favor of slavery, but due to pressure from people like Fredrick Douglass and the abolitionist movement he became the Lincoln that we all remember; the Lincoln that freed the slaves. What we need today are more movements and people like Fredrick Douglass and the abolitionist movement instead of a bunch of progressive Obama cheerleaders.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:56 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,851,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
SORE LOSER!
Played out

Old 07-26-2009, 02:00 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
Quote:
I don't think this is necessarily true. For example in 2002 he was against the Iraq war and in 2003 he said that he supported single-payer health care. He has turned to the right and here's why. The corporations, their lobbyists and right wing interest groups are putting alot of pressure on Obama to support their interests. On the other hand, most progressives are chearleading for Obama instead of holding his feet to the fire, making sure he carries out his promises, and forcing him to make his agenda more progressive. This is the main reason Obama is doing what he's doing; he's caving into pressure on the right and from the corporate elite. We need to be pressuring him so that he caves into the pressure of the left and develops a more progressive agenda.

I saw an interview with Cornell West the other day. He mentioned that Lincoln was in favor of slavery, but due to pressure from people like Fredrick Douglass and the abolitionist movement he became the Lincoln that we all remember; the Lincoln that freed the slaves. What we need today are more movements and people like Fredrick Douglass and the abolitionist movement instead of a bunch of progressive Obama cheerleaders.
obama was always in bed with the lobbyists and nothing has changed. he just has the power to implement the corporate lobbyist vision for america. you might want to read obama's money cartel by a former wall street reporter on line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies