Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times

Advertisements

[quote=West Side Houston;9981269]
Quote:
Disagree. You comment says that ALL Latinos have African blood and are just like you....FALSE. Mexico is Mestizo and European
You are partly right, but there are black communities in Mexico. Not all Latinos have African blood, but there are African descendants in every Latin American country.

Quote:
. Cuban is like the US....Whites and Blacks clearly defined with a population of Mulattos (mixed). Many countries do not have a history of Africans..Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay..etc.
You're right about Cuba. There are African descendants in Chile, Argentina, Bolivia and Paraguay.

Quote:
Brazil does have a large Black community, however a large white and mestizo one as well. Yes Latin America is diverse, but not EVERYONE is black or has black blood. You might be able to have common traits with Black Cubans, but not Indian Guatamalans.
There are blacks in Guatemala, too, especially along the Caribbean coast. Livingston is predominantly black.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithi View Post

No. You do not throw Africa in front of everything like that. Why? Why are you doing that. So how do you know which people are African-Cuban from who is not?
Not sure what you are saying here. All I am doing is defining African American, no more, no less. The term Black is reserved for anyone of African ancestry. This includes many Cubans. I am not trying to distinguish between African groups; I am simply describing what African Americans are.

Quote:
My Grandmother is from Jamaica. She is Black,East Indian,and Scottish. My aunts and uncles (I have 10) and mom have different skin tones and hair textures. Same mother and same dad. So lets get to labeling. So just off of looks Mariah Carey would be white she is not she is as black as me. Anyone in the West indies to me is black. Greeks have black in there make up and Italians. So if the OP is coming from a race point of view. The truth is not here to please very one. But it will set your free.

I don't wish to disparage you, but I haven't the slightest idea of what you are trying to say in this paragraph.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Side Houston View Post
I think people just don't want to loose their history.
No, the hyphenated name started as part of the "politically correct" movement initiated by the left.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Side Houston View Post
Sure, but doesn't make everyone black...give me a break. You are implying that all people from Latin America are black because of slavery. That black blood was mixed in there. It wasn't. I majored in Latin American studies. And Latin America is very diverse and complex. Don't tell an white Argentine who's last name Mack that he is black or has black ancestors, cause he doesn't.
What about the Afro-Argentines of Chascomus, or the reggae star Fidel Nadal, or the grandfather of all-time great football star Tony Gonzalez, or Argentine soccer star Hector Baley?

Quote:
Or a Inca Indian in Cusco, Peru, that speaks his native Indian lanaugage (not even spanish in many cases), that his great, great, great Grandfather was black...because it's false.
Towns such as El Carmen and Chincha Alta, Peru are predominantly black, as are many barrios in Lima. The soccer team Alianza Lima is known to be "the black team" among Peruvian fans.

Quote:

Now Dominicans are a different story. Most are mulattos, then black, with a very small white population. You just make things so simple, when they are more complex.
Yes, the Dominican Republic is 85% black/mixed, with only about 13% of the country white.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 PM

1,179 posts, read 976,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
I constantly see it being used in the forums and general media referring to American blacks. Yet there is nothing "African" about American black people and furthermore most American blacks have no intention of visiting or living in Africa, so why do people continue to insist on using this term? Are whites called "European American"? No. In fact, American blacks are even more Americanized than white Americans. Many black families have been here for 200-300 years. They have no connections to Africa at all.

Discuss.
Then don't say it. The end.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:36 AM

41 posts, read 134,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydS View Post
My wife, who is white, was born in Morocco North Africa back in the 50's. This was due to her parents being stationed there for military service. Now since she was born there gives her more of a right to call herself an African-American than folks born here in the US, but of course she doesn't.

Just something to think about.
Ummm....unless her ancestors ORGINATED from Africa (which is what ethnicity is), she would NOT have ANY right to call herself African American. She was simply BORN in Africa.

After 13 pages of going back and forth, the fact of the matter is:

AFRICAN AMERICAN IS ETHNICITY
BLACK IS RACE
AMERICAN IS NATIONALITY

You can't compare the 3 because they are 3 DIFFERENT THINGS!!!!!

For those that call themselves American, they are referring to their nationality. For those that call themselve white, caucasian, black, they are referring to their race. We can't change either one of them. So for those that get mad because someone chooses to use their ETHNICITY, get over it. You continue to use your nationality instead. It doesn't effect me in my personal life, just as someone calling themself African American, does not effect you in your personal life!!

Old 07-28-2009, 05:32 PM

657 posts, read 1,633,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_twana View Post
Ummm....unless her ancestors ORGINATED from Africa (which is what ethnicity is), she would NOT have ANY right to call herself African American. She was simply BORN in Africa.

After 13 pages of going back and forth, the fact of the matter is:

AFRICAN AMERICAN IS ETHNICITY
BLACK IS RACE
AMERICAN IS NATIONALITY

You can't compare the 3 because they are 3 DIFFERENT THINGS!!!!!

For those that call themselves American, they are referring to their nationality. For those that call themselve white, caucasian, black, they are referring to their race. We can't change either one of them. So for those that get mad because someone chooses to use their ETHNICITY, get over it. You continue to use your nationality instead. It doesn't effect me in my personal life, just as someone calling themself African American, does not effect you in your personal life!!
SMH...lol

So wrong in SO MANY WAYS

Old 07-28-2009, 05:43 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
I don't use the 'african-american' term at all. American is good enough. If one really wants to get picky with me, then I'll use 'black'. I work with a few blacks at work, and they have said they don't even like african-american and prefer just black.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:46 PM

1,133 posts, read 713,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
I constantly see it being used in the forums and general media referring to American blacks. Yet there is nothing "African" about American black people and furthermore most American blacks have no intention of visiting or living in Africa, so why do people continue to insist on using this term? Are whites called "European American"? No. In fact, American blacks are even more Americanized than white Americans. Many black families have been here for 200-300 years. They have no connections to Africa at all.

Discuss.
What the hell is the matter with you poster! I'm a viking american and damn proud of it!

Old 07-28-2009, 05:49 PM

657 posts, read 1,633,069 times
Also, for those arguing the origins of south/central Americans, Mexicans are descendants of the Olmecs. The Olmecs migrated from Africa (research it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies