Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 02:28 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I hear people use the term asian american, mexican american, etc. all the time, and have heard no gripes. Yet african american seems to be the hot button. Go figure.
The reason is because the THERE IS NOTHING 'AFRICAN' about so-called African-Americans. Period. Its a farce and a retarded pc term thought up in the 90's. They do not come from Africa and unlike say, Mexican or Asian immigrants they have no cultural or linguistic ties with their home countries. Nor do they want to have ties. How many blacks do you see going back to Africa? Good luck with that. Plenty of Mexican Americans go back to Mexico to visit, Asian Americans etc. because they have a real connection from where they came from. Thats the point of my original post.

Thats the difference. Its not rocket science. They are just Americans.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
The reason is because the THERE IS NOTHING 'AFRICAN' about so-called African-Americans. Period. Its a farce and a retarded pc term thought up in the 90's. They do not come from Africa and unlike say, Mexican or Asian immigrants they have no cultural or linguistic ties with their home countries. Nor do they want to have ties. How many blacks do you see going back to Africa? Good luck with that. Plenty of Mexican Americans go back to Mexico to visit, Asian Americans etc. because they have a real connection from where they came from. Thats the point of my original post.

There is no such thing as "just American." I don't know what your background is, but for you to say African Americans don't have any connection with Africa, no knowledge of Africa, no culture from Africa or no desire to be associated with Africa is simply ludicrous.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,726 times
Quote:

Why do you assume that an Asian or Mexican American is an immigrant? There are Asian and Mexican families who have been here longer than a lot of whites. And yes some of them do use the hyphenated names. Not to mention the Italian-Americans whose only tie to Italy is the food they eat.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:51 PM

324 posts, read 1,139,135 times
Quote:

It will always make blacks "different"....which is what they want.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:17 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,832,259 times
Quote:

we do come from africa, its our ancerstry and since when so you go on telling us how to identify ourselves we can call ourselves what ever we want, africa is a continent not a country. modern day africans who immigrate from africa come from a specific country and they are nigerian-american liberio-american etc etc

many asians have been here since early 19th century but yet they are still asian american racially. african american isnt the same kinda term, it describes native blacks of america(U.S), we do not have exactly the same culture as our american counterparts(whites, native americans) who trace their history to colonial times. there are difference and we also share the same culture as well, american culture.

believe it or not every country where there was trans atlantic slave trade there are countries and there are blacks who use afro/ african etc hyphen then country name but overall they are that country name as their nationality

african american can also describe those of african descent in the americas(if u dont know what encompass the americas i can guide u) as kinda the same way the term native american is sometimes used to describe all native indian tribes in the americas

as far as blacks going back to africa lets see, african americans have dual citizenship in ghana fyi and liberia i believe, after emancipation many blacks did go back to africa what is known as liberia, sierre leonne is the colony those americans created which is why the flag is very similar to ours with just 1 star.

black people in the caribbean(jamaica, dr, bahammas, haiti(1st free black republic) arent and havent been going back to africa either we are where we are and u cant change that no matter how much it turns your stomach. we are african people. descendants of

we dont have a direct comparison nationality wise because all those countries didnt exist then the songhay empire was the last west african empire to stand after soni ali drowned on an expedition it went along with it. this was around the time the spanish and portuguese came upon the continent.

but back to the blacks going back to africa comment why do you care, until theres a world wide african descendant pademic of blacks going back to africa then comment its not going to be. lke i said we are where we are. and shaped new extended african cultures in the new world whether

present and pastime music
ragtime
blues
jazz
rock
soul
rnb
hip hop
gullah music of the southern coast

international music
reggae
salsa
calypso
son
mento

every country that has/had black people descendants from slaves also utilize european languages differently from europeans descendants themselves who live in the same country. some are called creoles, bozals, in america its called ebonics

Last edited by city414; 07-29-2009 at 03:26 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 03:20 PM

i am ethnic wise an african american, black american same difference
i am an american nationality wise
i am black that connects me with all my sistren and brethren of any nationality on a racial scale regardless of national origin that come from other countries or are descendants of immigrants from other countries that dwell in the United States Of America.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:22 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,218,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Bottom line: Hyphenated American is not only stupid but totally unnecessary.

You are either a plain Ole American - or you are not.

Your choice.
Gotta love the very simplistic black and white logic here. It's all that conservatives can manage, apparently.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:22 PM

41 posts, read 134,168 times
Quote:

So what about those of Scottish heritage who have been here for generations. If they no longer wear kilts, does that mean there is nothing Scottish about them or they have no ties to Scotland?? I could use a million other examples.

ONCE AGAIN.....When someone refers to themself as African American, they are referring to their ETHNICITY...NOT their NATIONALITY!!!!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_twana View Post
ONCE AGAIN.....When someone refers to themself as African American, they are referring to their ETHNICITY...NOT their NATIONALITY!!!!
thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when and if i leave(emigrate,or temporarily leave) the country people are gonna ask me where im from and when i tell them they are gonna be like oh your an american or they might call me a yank.

im not gonna expect someone in another country to call me an african american and im for certainly not gonna respond to a nationality question with the term african american lol but AMERICAN.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:33 PM

41 posts, read 134,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when and if i leave(emigrate,or temporarily leave) the country people are gonna ask me where im from and when i tell them they are gonna be like oh your an american or they might call me a yank.

im not gonna expect someone in another country to call me an african american and im for certainly not gonna respond to a nationality question with the term african american lol but AMERICAN.
EXACTLY!!! Outside of this country, I am American. While, I'm here, there's no need for me (or any other American for that matter) to refer to myself as American. WE ALL ARE...well most of us anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies