Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in "conversion therapy" for homosexuals?
Yes. Good therapy can turn a homosexual into a heterosexual. 10 15.15%
No. It's normal for some people to be homosexual and it doesn't need to be "fixed". 46 69.70%
No, but I still believe it's a mental illness. There's just no cure for it at this time. 6 9.09%
No, but I think of it as a birth defect. 2 3.03%
Other 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:53 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times

Advertisements

since this is a American forum many Americans know somebody who is gay in their lives already.Why would you want to convert somebody who is quite aware of their sexuality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:54 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Not trying to be rude,but what do you mean by an "evolutionary change" ?
Evolution hits certain dead ends. Genes mutate trying to get to a better form, natural selection roots out the ones that don't pan out. Homosexuality is just another avenue of evolution. Its obviously a dead end, but its still one of the mutations we've taken.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:03 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Gonna pray away the gay............okay..........

Well, makes a great song but is ridiculous to consider prayer a valid reason, as well as "therapy", all it is is behavior modification and repression of sexual impulses and desires.

I suppose if you wanted to you could suppress the behavior, but I would consider it more the result of learning mental coping techniques than anything therapy is really gonna offer.

Another indicator of how absurd it is to try and alter someones natural impulses and feelings.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:18 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,016,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Gonna pray away the gay............okay..........

Well, makes a great song but is ridiculous to consider prayer a valid reason, as well as "therapy", all it is is behavior modification and repression of sexual impulses and desires.

I suppose if you wanted to you could suppress the behavior, but I would consider it more the result of learning mental coping techniques than anything therapy is really gonna offer.

Another indicator of how absurd it is to try and alter someones natural impulses and feelings.
What amazes me is that people act as though homosexuality is something that was invented by hippies back in the '60s. People aren't taught about the Greek ideal love or Sappho...when the earliest humans had a hormonal surge, I doubt that they were Victorian in their sexual practices.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:27 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,851,443 times
I didn't read the entire medical statement, does this mean that they will consider revoking the "certificate" (using the organization's logo) of the doctors? Licensure is a state thing, so they probably couldn't pull their licenses.

If so does this mean that Rep (crazy lady) Michelle Bachmann's husband will need to look for a new line of work. IIRC he's in the "convert them" (rip off) racket.

golfgod

Old 08-05-2009, 10:45 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
If so does this mean that Rep (crazy lady) Michelle Bachmann's husband will need to look for a new line of work. IIRC he's in the "convert them" (rip off) racket.

golfgod
Didnt know that but it helps explain the fervor of his wife. That fervor can pay big dividends for them both since it sounds like the couple both can peddle snake oil to their flocks convincingly. At least the nutty Republican seems successful at it. I also know that if her district is anything like mine its a no brainer/n o contest Republican shoo in.

Okay back on topic: I also believe that the reason gay marriage is kept illegal is because once statistics are compiled that show those couples may divorce less than hetero couples it will legitimize homosexuality and they dont want that to happen . It is the judgmental Christian right (some of them) who have tried to make homosexuality immoral in the first place, and many of these people are the worst adulterers and perverts out there

Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Didnt know that but it helps explain the fervor of his wife. That fervor can pay big dividends for them both since it sounds like the couple both can peddle snake oil to their flocks
Michele Bachmann denies that her husband is doing any "conversion therapy", and there's nothing about it on his website. Since there's no evidence that they are in that business (other than rumors), I believe them.

Here's her husband's website:

Bachmann & Associates, Incorporated (http://www.bachmanncounseling.com/index.html - broken link)

Regarding their financial situation, it appears that the Bachmanns may not be doing very well. I came across a list of the richest and poorest members of Congress yesterday. They had her listed as one of the poorest in 2007 - in fact, according to this list, she is (was?) broke:

Net Worth, 2007 | OpenSecrets

Old 08-05-2009, 11:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Yes there are conservative psychologists and they will practice and impose their beliefs however they want to despite what the APA agrees on. You have to consider the handfuls of Christian psychologists or bigots that are out there. Highly educated status doesn't take away your bigotry it only intensifies your status and power over others

Old 08-06-2009, 12:27 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,712 times
I don't know whether its something that can be changed or not. No amount of therapy could change the way I feel about a hot girl in a bikini. That being said, their is a biological reason for me to feel that way: reproduce and propagate the human species.

It does seem that if this were truly possible, many homosexuals would line up for the therapy simply because life seems to be a lot more difficult as a homosexual.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:56 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
I don't know whether its something that can be changed or not. No amount of therapy could change the way I feel about a hot girl in a bikini. That being said, their is a biological reason for me to feel that way: reproduce and propagate the human species.
There actually could be biological reasons to explain homosexuality, assuming that it's normal and what nature intended for some people. One popular hypothesis is that it's a form of population control. Nature simply doesn't need for everybody to produce offspring. There's no shortage of heterosexuals willing and able to reproduce. A related hypothesis is that it's a way to provide "helpers" for a family or a community who aren't burdened with their own children. In fact, the more boys a woman has, the greater the chances that the boy will turn out homosexual. Since it's likely that the mother's children will reproduce, there's logic to the idea that the youngest son could be designed as a "helper" for his older brothers.

Another hypothesis - a controversial one - is that nature deselects certain individuals from reproducing who, for some reason, are unfit for reproduction. I don't know of any studies that would support this, but to me, the idea seems plausible. Of course, the same could be said of heterosexual men who are sterile and heterosexual women who are infertile, so this deselection might not be unique to homosexuals, assuming it's even a valid explanation to start with.

Quote:
It does seem that if this were truly possible, many homosexuals would line up for the therapy simply because life seems to be a lot more difficult as a homosexual.
I would say that life is definitely more challenging for the majority of homosexuals - more for the men than for the women - but especially while growing up. Feeling different brings a certain level of stress on its own, but feeling shame, ridicule, and a need to hide those differences can make life much more stressful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies