Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Bravo!

Its perfectly fine for Obama to have his rallies full of adoring zombies chanting Yes, We Can! But how dare people dissent!

Well, every honeymoon ends. Usually by waking up in a puddle.
These are town hall meetings----not rallies.

Let me repeat that, these are town hall meetings, not political rallies.

That distinction may be meaningless to some of you, but it's actually an important distinction. Rallies are meant to appeal to people on an emotional level, they are meant to rev supporters up, they are meant to be loud and raucous. Town hall meetings are not rallies.

Town hall meetings are meant to allow voters to talk to and to hear from the people they elected. Protest and dissent are absolutely a part of the town hall meeting, as long as there is an exchange going on. When protesters prevent an exchange, they aren't acting in a noble fashion, they aren't acting in a patriotic fashion. They are acting selfishly, they are acting as if they think that only their point of view has a right to be heard. That's just about as un-American as it gets.

Since town hall meetings are not rallies, why are these people trying to behave as if they are? Is there some reason they can't hold rallies, that they have to try to turn town hall meetings into rallies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:49 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
What I'd like to know is between the protestors, the unions, and the politician leading the Town Hall meeting, has anyone of them READ the fricking bill and will be able to intelligently answer legitimate questions on it?

It seems like half of the left think the bill is UHC with people getting health care for a dollar a month and half of the right think it will mandate euthenasia.

This is just a public relations disaster, but indicative of what happens when you try a campaign to "sell" something that isn't well thought out and is being rushed.
Great post.It has become a war between the two sides and the only thing they are out for is to win the war of "I'm right you're wrong".Neither side in many cases seems to want a fix or admit that maybe they are wrong on some points.

Everybody has a stake in this,everybody should be seeing the other guy as in it too,and negotiating and actually listening to the other side before comming to a conclusion.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:59 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
Perhaps they are trying to find the part of the Constitution that authorizes the Federal govt to regulate Health Care?

It will be a long search.

Could it be that some people (conservatives) don't want the govt to get involved any more than it already is... and even want it to diminish its role? And so they oppose ANY program that increases its involvement, as this one does?

They have a point.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:29 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Perhaps they are trying to find the part of the Constitution that authorizes the Federal govt to regulate Health Care?

It will be a long search.

Could it be that some people (conservatives) don't want the govt to get involved any more than it already is... and even want it to diminish its role? And so they oppose ANY program that increases its involvement, as this one does?

They have a point.
Lol did you really just say that the Constitution needs to say the government can regulate health care? Like is that one of the big republican arguments against it? Cuz thats hilarious if it is.

Anyways some people (conservatives) don't want the government involved in hardly anything, thats a core of the right side. Less government. However there are MORE people that DO want health care reform. A lot more. So really what do you expect?

Old 08-07-2009, 04:44 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Sorry, the Republicans have already destroyed America... The Dems are righting the ship.
LOL, LOL...OMG....surely you are joking! The "Republicans have...destroyed America? Now that is funny. So, the the CRA, which is responsible for the mortage and banking "crisis", was a Republican plan?

But it was the Republicans that called for oversight, wich the Democrats rejected, saying no oversight was necessary. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were just fine. Right.

I'd like to know how it is you thing that the Republicans have destroyed America? It is the Democrats that are the liberals (take a look at California if you want to know how that has worked out there).

And what about Obama? How's his "hope and change" woking for ya, dukie boy? Seems that we have gone completely down hill since he took office. How many jobs have been lost since Obama took office? I don't have the figures in front of me. And, where is the DOW today? It was at around 18,000 a year ago. But, no matter, Obama "[doesn't] pay any attention to the day to day gyrations of the stock market". It's like "a tracking poll", he said. When the Democrats mortgage and banking scam began to crumble, so did the DOW. And who is in charge today? Same people! No wonder nothing is improving! But we are trillions deeper in debt, and their are no jobs, and no matter what this bumbling fool is saying, things are getting worse. I know. I'm self employed. I am living his policies every day, and one of my clients (and now a friend) who is in the landscaping and excavating business, also tells me he has had no work since Obama's election. Conicidence? Don't think so.

But, I guess this is the "hope and change" you wanted, right?

People are understandably angry, and they don't have to be told to let their "representatives" know what to think. I've made some phone calls myself and given my "reps" an earful... and nobody paid me to do it, or put me up to it either. I did it all on my own. Yes, I did. I have been contacting my Congressmen and Senators for many years on a somewhat regular basis; only now my message is a little different. These people are "blowin' it" big time.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 08-07-2009 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: corrections and additonal comment

Old 08-07-2009, 04:48 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,665 times
Do you enjoy going off on nonsensical rants like that? Cuz if you hadn't noticed, liberals love the direction Obama is taking us. We just had one of the best economical Julys in decades, stimulus is starting to lower the unemployment rate, were getting out of a pointless war in Iraq, pretty much everything Obama has done has been a step in the right direction. It might not be the direction you want to go in, but the majority of Americans disagree with you, so what you want doesn't really matter to the big picture.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:49 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
LOL, LOL...OMG....surely you are joking! The "Republicans have...destroyed America? Now that is funny. So, the the CRA, which is responsible for the mortage and banking "crisis", was a Republican plan?

But it was the Republicans that called for oversight, wich the Democrats rejected, saying no oversight was necessary. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were just fine. Right.

I'd like to know how it is you thing that the Republicans have destroyed America? It is the Democrats that are the liberals (take a look at California if you want to know how that has worked out there).

And what about Obama? How's his "hope and change" woking for ya, dukie boy? Seems that we have gone completely down hill since he took office. How many jobs have been lost since Obama took office? I don't have the figures in front of me. And, where is the DOW today? It was at around 18,000 a year ago. When the Democrats mortgage and banking scam began to crumble, so did the DOW. And who is in charge today? Same people! No wonder nothing is improving! But we are trillions deeper in debt, and their are no jobs.

Actually, Phil Gramm had a lot to do with it. But no, I am not pleased that when the Repubs saw the error in that plan, and called for more regs, the Dems blocked it. There's plenty of blame to go around on this one. "the Democrats mortgage and banking scam" is a lie, and you know it. Nice try.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:02 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,211,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

And what about Obama? How's his "hope and change" woking for ya, dukie boy? Seems that we have gone completely down hill since he took office. How many jobs have been lost since Obama took office? I don't have the figures in front of me. And, where is the DOW today? It was at around 18,000 a year ago. But, no matter, Obama "[doesn't] pay any attention to the day to day gyrations of the stock market". It's like "a tracking poll", he said. When the Democrats mortgage and banking scam began to crumble, so did the DOW. And who is in charge today? Same people! No wonder nothing is improving! But we are trillions deeper in debt, and their are no jobs, and no matter what this bumbling fool is saying, things are getting worse. I know. I'm self employed. I am living his policies every day, and one of my clients (and now a friend) who is in the landscaping and excavating business, also tells me he has had no work since Obama's election. Conicidence? Don't think so.

People are understandably angry, and they don't have to be told to let their "representatives" know what to think. I've made some phone calls myself and given my "reps" an earful... and nobody paid me to do it, or put me up to it either. I did it all on my own. Yes, I did. I have been contacting my Congressmen and Senators for many years on a somewhat regular basis; only now my message is a little different. These people are "blowin' it" big time.
Nonsense - Spreading around a little drivel?

Old 08-08-2009, 07:02 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
liberals love the direction Obama is taking us. We just had one of the best economical Julys in decades, stimulus is starting to lower the unemployment rate,

but the majority of Americans disagree with you, so what you want doesn't really matter to the big picture.
The July unemployment numbers are fuzzy math and don't reflect reality. In reality, the number of people out of work are nearly 10%. Numbers you are referring to don't include those who came off the rolls and those who stopped looking for work.

Stimulus is NOT starting to work beause it has not even been spent. Government plans to tuck some 700B out of the 787B away for other uses.

Obama's ratings of how he is handling the economy are falling.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:43 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Lol did you really just say that the Constitution needs to say the government can regulate health care? Like is that one of the big republican arguments against it? Cuz thats hilarious if it is.

Anyways some people (conservatives) don't want the government involved in hardly anything, thats a core of the right side. Less government. However there are MORE people that DO want health care reform. A lot more. So really what do you expect?
You laugh & brush the argument of Constitutional authority aside, but let's take a look, shall we?
Amendment 10 to the US Constitution makes the point most succintly;
Quote:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Comstitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
So, can anyone point to any text in the constitution that specifically gives the federal government power to determine health care? Failing that, can you show us a state that has given over the authority that is theirs to the federal government? If not, then by what authority is the federal government attempting to regulate health care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies