Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times

Advertisements

hmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
Your example regarding human beings requires a bit more empathy than a gun. I would report illegal immigrants in this manner if they were having a specific negative impact on my life, or if their presence was maladaptive to my community (e.g. violence, gangs, crimes). However, if they do not have a negative influence on my community, I do not personally have a problem with it.

I answer this way because there is a profound 'human' element to illegal immigration. Whereas in the gun example, I could care less about the guns. I would report somebody with illegal guns as soon as I could, ESPECIALLY if I would receive an award for it. This stems from my personal view of gun control.

It appears at the core of this issue is whether it is "right" or not to ask people to report illegal activities. I do not have any issue with this. What is the point of law if people are just going to criticize it when others report violations? If there is such an issue with the said law, then let's work on improving the law.

So, to answer your question, I do not have a problem with an organization asking for people to report illegal immigrants (or any other illegal activity). However, I might not be the person that would be doing the reporting. Again, let's work on exacting our law if we are going to be so outraged when it is enforced.

Now, I answered your question. Answer my question: Would you be against an organization offering a reward for clues to a murder investigation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Encouraging people to turn in their neighbors for crimes that haven't been committed is bad policy.
owning an illegal firearm is a crime that *has* been committed. as rickmahorn said, if you don't think any firearms should be illegal, then work on changing the law. and don't turn people in for breaking it if you don't want to.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:35 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
The "gun" issue as stated here could be replaced with anything really...even something like, "know someone that isnt down with UHC? We'll pay for that information"
Would you report someone running (illegal) prostitution ring in your neighborhood? Or simply turn a blind eye away from it? How about illegal immigrants? How about someone selling drugs in your neighborhood?

I could go on, but you should get the point. If your answer is yes to any of these, your issue with the billboard is unwarranted.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:36 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
It's the same tactic the Nazi's used.

The German people are often criticized for not "seeing it coming/happening".

I wonder if the same will be said of Americans 60 years from now?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:41 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,755,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
owning an illegal firearm is a crime that *has* been committed. as rickmahorn said, if you don't think any firearms should be illegal, then work on changing the law. and don't turn people in for breaking it if you don't want to.
It's a victim-less crime, about on par with past laws banning homosexuality or interracial marriages. A crime is about violating the rights of somebody else. If you steal from someone, you've violated their rights, and thus a crime has been committed. In response to a question earlier in the thread, I would not be against reporting somebody for committing murder, because a murder is a serious crime where a person's right to life has been unjustly taken from them. Owning an 'illegal' firearm is a completely different animal. The only reason the laws exist at all is because maybe, just maybe, someone who owns such a firearm could potentially use it whilst committing a crime, but completely ignores the legitimate uses for such firearms (self-defense, hunting, and the primary use: protecting the citizenry from unjust government).

Old 08-11-2009, 01:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
A program like this is dreadfully close to trampling 2nd Amendment and 4th Amendment rights. A person who reports another person with a gun does not necessarily know if the gun is legal or illegal. Therefore, if reported, the gun owner is possibly subjected to an unreasonable search and seizure. I predict that this will hit the court system when a law abiding citizen finds his or herself having to defend themselves over an erroenous call to the hotline.

This will turn into an illegal search and seizure issue. Wait and see.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:28 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
I don't know what an illegal gun looks like...

Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
These have begun popping up around my county.

Now the "gun" part of it isnt so much the issue with me, so no need to turn this into another thread on 2nd amendment rights.

The "gun" issue as stated here could be replaced with anything really...even something like, "know someone that isnt down with UHC? We'll pay for that information"

Basically, this is conditioning, and recruiting for informants, as a way to make an income, isnt it? Is this the "stimulus" at work?

I see a problem with your apples & oranges analogy. HOW is asking for informants of illegal activities comparable to someone who isn't "down with uhc"? And just WHERE has that been shown to be a paid activity?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:40 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A program like this is dreadfully close to trampling 2nd Amendment and 4th Amendment rights. A person who reports another person with a gun does not necessarily know if the gun is legal or illegal. Therefore, if reported, the gun owner is possibly subjected to an unreasonable search and seizure. I predict that this will hit the court system when a law abiding citizen finds his or herself having to defend themselves over an erroenous call to the hotline.

This will turn into an illegal search and seizure issue. Wait and see.
You are absolutely right. Good post. It also could violate someone's 6th Amendment right "to be confronted with the witnesses against him." If someone accuses anyone of a crime they do not have the right to be anonymous.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:41 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Would you report someone running (illegal) prostitution ring in your neighborhood? Or simply turn a blind eye away from it? How about illegal immigrants? How about someone selling drugs in your neighborhood?

I could go on, but you should get the point. If your answer is yes to any of these, your issue with the billboard is unwarranted.

Unwarrented? I dont think so. Yes, I would be happy to report a crime, in which there is a clear victim involved. Most of those things you listed would be on my list. The simple act of owning a (unregistered) gun,(and how would one know if it is registered or not) does not make anybody a victim. Neither would my opinion on a variety of issues.

The billboard as presented, puts "informing" on one's neighbors in a mainstream media format, and offers "pay" for doing so. How long is it, before other "offenses" (real or imagined, manufactured) will be substituted for the "illegal gun" issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies