Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:44 PM

932 posts, read 1,678,048 times

Advertisements

A friend of a friend of a friend wrote this well written article on his blog that I think speaks to so much of what is posted here on CD and other sites. If you really read it and get the point, I think that we can move past some of the racial innuendo about Pres. Obama and the racial profiling thing.

"Reflect if not for a moment. It was not that long ago when this country was in love with itself. Folks were crying. They were happy. Enemies were provisionally cast aside as mutable roadblocks to progress. The world watched. The world took note. It celebrated with us with the same vigor. Barack Obama’s election to the most powerful position on the planet was sui generis."

Fear of a Black President | The Starting Five

Im not going to argue about the article, I just think its a great read...so feel free to discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:58 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,830,327 times
What is posted here most of the time isn't about race, it's about ideologues bashing other ideologues. If and when Obama actually fails for the first time will your friend of a friend of a friend actually admit it and blame him or will they play the race card? Racism is passe its all about classism now anyways.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:59 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Yawn.

Predictable and not very profound.

It's as if some black people think that lying about/hating/degradation/mud slinging on a president by the other side did not exist until Obama came around, and even then, it only came around because he's this bi-racial (supposedly, but obviously not, post-racial) president with a funny name.

The real question is --- why do you expect Obama to be treated any differently than his predecssors? Obama brings new and fresh controversies due to his background, but it's not as if he's subject to more hatred or less hatred by the other side .... where was everyone in the 90s with the Clintons? Even GW for the past three or so years? If anything, Obama gets a pass on a lot of gaffes because nobody wants to be the racist that *GASP* criticizes the post-racial One.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:00 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
A "soul model" of the world? Would that be akin to "soul food?"

Now I remember why I don't read blatantly biased crap like this.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:00 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,845 times
All of a sudden..he is black..when it suits him..when he was running..you couldn't mention race, now thats all you hear..I'm not surprised at all..no credibility once more for the libs...

Old 07-30-2009, 01:01 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,868,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
A friend of a friend of a friend wrote this well written article on his blog that I think speaks to so much of what is posted here on CD and other sites. If you really read it and get the point, I think that we can move past some of the racial innuendo about Pres. Obama and the racial profiling thing.

"Reflect if not for a moment. It was not that long ago when this country was in love with itself. Folks were crying. They were happy. Enemies were provisionally cast aside as mutable roadblocks to progress. The world watched. The world took note. It celebrated with us with the same vigor. Barack Obama’s election to the most powerful position on the planet was sui generis."

Fear of a Black President | The Starting Five

Im not going to argue about the article, I just think its a great read...so feel free to discuss.
Sorry, but that read is a bunch BS and lost my attention midway through. Pathetic.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:05 PM

932 posts, read 1,678,048 times
If you get to the end its great...At least to me it is...

Old 07-30-2009, 01:08 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
I don't care from which perspective someone writes about the President, it doesn't change the fact that he's doing a lousy job right now focusing on national healthcare, bailing out banks and brokerages, the auto industry, and getting ready to open the floodgates for amnesty.

The fact that I didn't vote for him doesn't change the reality that he's president right now.

And when it comes down to the bottom line, all I really care about is how this country is managed, and he's not doing such a fantastic job right now. Period.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:08 PM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
The article makes a lot of valid points, but I think it would be better if this (and similar articles) at least acknowledged the significant number of white people who do their damnedest to self-search and obliterate racism in themselves and who do speak up against it when racism raises its head in jokes or in conversation when only white people are present. And it IS a significant number.

Of course it's the negative that's going to be focused on--if not for the bad, there would be no reason for these types of articles. But it's getting tiresome when you've done your best all your white life to approach the world with the knowledge and the message that racism is just plain stupid and then read article after article after article about how ALL the white people are racist. And black speakers and writers never seem to get that "White America" is an extremely offensive term, as if all Caucasians in this country are of one mind and manner.

This article seems to embrace some sort of concept that there is a way the non-racist white people can somehow control the racist ones ways of thinking or that we are responsible for what racists do and say. That just doesn't make any sense.

Yes, black people bear the brunt of racism in this country and it must truly suck. Sometimes we white people can see it (as in the case of our NJ State Troopers) and sometimes we can't unless it's pointed out to us, just as non-handicapped people don't count how many steps are in front of a building.

But, like the thousands of white abolitionists who kept writing and speaking and helping slaves escape in the decades before the civil war, and like the white people who supported the civil rights movement so that the 12% of our population who needed those rights would be heard, and the white people who ignored the idiotic remarks of some of their neighbors and relatives and elected Barack Obama because we didn't think his skin tone was a problem, we are the ones who are going to help chip away at these racist incidents and institutionalized mindsets. Don't give us reason not to, please.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:17 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,250,930 times
This isn't about race. I'm constantly amazed at those who continue to tout themselves as open minded and all inclusive and post racial are the ones who keep throwing the race car at anyone who disagrees with the President's IDEOLOGY. His color is irrevelant. It's his policies that SUCK! People are losing their jobs, their homes, and are making really tough choices right now. They don't give flip about color. Move on already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies