Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 09:28 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
If the number of people having abortions is addressed, and half of the people having them have already had one, it indicates a cycle that some women are getting in that if could be broken, half of the abortions would end. The difference between one abortion and two abortions imo is two lives taken, the behavior could be potentially 'reformed' as I see it, thereby cutting abortion numbers in half, as we work to eliminate it. It's not like I'm against condoms or anything, I know people are going to have sex, but this indicates that people are using abortion as a sort of 'condom,' one prevents conception, the other destroys.
How exactly do you plan on "addressing" the number of people having abortions? It's already addressed. Are you going to limit every woman to one? Strap them down and make them watch slideshows of babies and ultrasound images?

Women are not using abortion as their primary form of contraception, that idea is ridiculous. Abortion is expensive and painful. Contraception fails - then what? You seem to want to punish women or guilt them into having unwanted children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:29 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,071 times
I am sorry you had to make that decision, but out of my experience with people having abortions, no one I know has had two, and the ones that had one regretted it and it saddened them around the time the baby would have been born. You say potential life, I say it already is life, scientifically it is life. It is a matter of whether or not this life has rights.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I am sorry you had to make that decision, but out of my experience with people having abortions, no one I know has had two, and the ones that had one regretted it and it saddened them around the time the baby would have been born. You say potential life, I say it already is life, scientifically it is life. It is a matter of whether or not this life has rights.
I'm Not Sorry.net: Celebrating The Right To Choose

My experience with people having abortions is it was a relief and they do not regret the decision.

Show me the proof that "Scientifically it is life", as in, a HUMAN LIFE because that is a bunch of BS.

"Scientifically", it is a parasite.

No one has "Scientifically" determined when life begins.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:35 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
Quote:
Exactly what definition of "life" are you using? It cannot live on its own, it cannot breath on its own, it cannot eat on its own. To be alive it needs to have self-sustaining biological functions and processes. At least thats the definition I learned in every biology class I ever took.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:36 AM

If you believe this child doesn't have rights, and it is me being strictly against your rights, I would say what you consider to be your rights infringes not only on your child's rights but on mine as well believe it or not. Theoretically say I was pregnant, needed open womb surgery and someone killed my baby during the procedure, that would be awful and an extremely rare procedure, but by the simple fact of you saying it is your body and you can do what you want, it spreads the concept that my baby was nothing more than a piece of property and not another human being, he/she would not be granted the justice due to them.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
Quote:
I have, and no, I didn't regret it.

So is a tumor.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 AM

1 a : the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body b : a principle or force that is considered to underlie the distinctive quality of animate beings c : an organismic state characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction

even plants scientifically have life, animals have life, an unborn child has life scientifically. I know you were using the word figuratively in a poetic manner, dealing with experiences and relations and such, that's why I emphasized scientifically

Old 08-21-2009, 09:40 AM

yes but clearly no one is arguing whether or not a tumor has rights, I think it's safe to say you to make a distinction on that one

Old 08-21-2009, 09:42 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
Quote:
yes but clearly no one is arguing whether or not a tumor has rights, I think it's safe to say you to make a distinction on that one
They're both parasitic life forms, and as a female I have every right to have both removed from my body if I so choose.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
If you believe this child doesn't have rights, and it is me being strictly against your rights, I would say what you consider to be your rights infringes not only on your child's rights but on mine as well believe it or not. Theoretically say I was pregnant, needed open womb surgery and someone killed my baby during the procedure, that would be awful and an extremely rare procedure, but by the simple fact of you saying it is your body and you can do what you want, it spreads the concept that my baby was nothing more than a piece of property and not another human being, he/she would not be granted the justice due to them.
You have the rights to make YOUR own decisions about YOUR pregnancy.. If someone killed your fetus during that procedure they would be infringing on YOUR rights, just as someone trying to prevent a woman from having an abortion would be infringing on THEIR rights.

It would be akin to me telling you you CAN'T have that open-womb procedure because I don't believe in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies