Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times

Advertisements

I think he might enjoy some tunes from a boom box as he flies. perhaps MI6 can provide one that is certainly more warranted than Princess Diana.

I don't remotely understand letting anyone go that committed horrific crimes because they get sick... oh well die in prison. It's where he belongs I have as much compassion as he had for:
Here is the crew:
Captain James Bruce MacQuarrie, 55, from Kensington, New Hampshire, USA
  • First Officer (co-pilot) Raymond Ronald Wagner, 52, from Pennington, new Jersey, USA (11855 flight hours of experience)
  • Flight engineer Jerry Don Avritt, 46, from Westminster, California, USA (8068 fh/experience)
The Pursers:

• Mary Geraldine Murphy, 51, Twickenham, UK
  • Milutin Velimirovich, 35, Hounslow, UK (US citizen)
The Flight Attendants:

• Elisabeth Nichole Avoyne, 44, Croissy-sur-Seine, France, French
  • Noelle Lydie Berti, 41, Paris, France, French
  • Siv Ulla Engstrom, 51, Windsor, UK, Swedish
  • Stacie Denise Franklin, 20, San Diego, USA
  • Paul Isaac Garret, 41, Napa, USA
  • Elke Etha Kuhne, 43, Hannover, BRD, German
  • Maria Nieves Larracoechea, 39, Madrid, Spain
  • Lilibeth Tobila Macalolooy, 27, Kelsterbach, BRD, Phillipino
  • Jocelyn Reina, 26, Isleworth, UK, American
  • Myra Josephine Royal,30, Hanwell, UK, Dominican Republic
  • Irja Syhnove Skabo, 38, Oslo, Norway, Finnish
There are the people that needed compassion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
"But a 2007 review of his case raised the prospect that al-Megrahi had been the victim of a miscarriage of justice, and many in Britain believe that he is innocent.

The Rev. John Mosey, whose daughter Helga, 19, died in the attack, said Wednesday he would be glad to see al-Megrahi return home.

"It is right he should go home to die in dignity with his family. I believe it is our Christian duty to show mercy," he said."

I'm curious how religious wingnuts feel about this.

Lockerbie bomber to be freed - Terrorism- msnbc.com

You forgive when ASKED for forgiveness. Has he asked for forgiveness?

I personally do not think he should have been let out but the reason I feel that way is because he has shown no remorse and I feel is still a danger to people.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:24 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Most of the UK families think he's little more than a scapegoat.
Of course it was a plot concocted and carried out by forces a lot greater and more extensive. In fact, Qaddaffi admitted guilt and the American and British governments cut a deal and forgave him (even though he really didn't ask for forgiveness) if he paid off the victims' families and, most importantly, gave them access to the billions in Libyan oil and gas.

Bottom line: the terrorist Qaddaffi regime got off scot (no pun intended) free. He is now given the red carpet in Europe.

Arab Oil and morality don't mix. Tragically it's the oil which always rises to the top.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:40 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Its all Bush's fault..damn Bush

He is the one who cozied up to Libya, allowing mass murderers to buy their way out of guilt. Wonder what he would've charged al Qaeda to buy their way out of their guilt? He certainly didn't pursue them with the focus he pursued his personal bete noire with.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:46 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
He is the one who cozied up to Libya, allowing mass murderers to buy their way out of guilt.
But when Obama does it, it's called diplomacy and engaging.

Quote:
Wonder what he would've charged al Qaeda to buy their way out of their guilt? He certainly didn't pursue them with the focus he pursued his personal bete noire with.
The US did tremendous damage to al qaeda under Bush.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:48 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
Arab Oil and morality don't mix.
Well, Qadaffi is a Berber, not an Arab.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
But when Obama does it, it's called diplomacy and engaging.
Just what terrorists has Obama allowed to buy absolution?

Quote:
The US did tremendous damage to al qaeda under Bush.
Far from the amount that could have been done had personal vendetta not topped the priority list.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
Of course it was a plot concocted and carried out by forces a lot greater and more extensive. In fact, Qaddaffi admitted guilt and the American and British governments cut a deal and forgave him (even though he really didn't ask for forgiveness) if he paid off the victims' families and, most importantly, gave them access to the billions in Libyan oil and gas.

Bottom line: the terrorist Qaddaffi regime got off scot (no pun intended) free. He is now given the red carpet in Europe.

Arab Oil and morality don't mix. Tragically it's the oil which always rises to the top.
I absolutely never agree with you. HOwever, on this post I do. He was convicted and found guilty. If he was not guilty, then that would be a completely different thing. I can't see any real compassionant reason to let this guy go. The missing variable may well be the money and the oil.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:02 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Just what terrorists has Obama allowed to buy absolution?
That's a little simplistic. They did pay some victims's families etc., but they also halted their WMD program, normalized relationships with European countries etc. So yes there was some payment as recognition of their role in their attacks, but there has also been policy change.

When Obama talks about sitting down with our enemies, what is his goal? Is it not policy change. Wouldn't policy change with recognition of guilty and payment to victims be a pretty good outcome?

Quote:
Far from the amount that could have been done had personal vendetta not topped the priority list.
Perhaps. However, Al Qaeda made it clear that they saw Iraq as a central battle so I'm not sure that it got in the way of the efforts with Al Qaeda. The Taliban may be a different story.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
That's a little simplistic. They did pay some victims's families etc., but they also halted their WMD program, normalized relationships with European countries etc. So yes there was some payment as recognition of their role in their attacks, but there has also been policy change.
It should be simple, they MURDERED American civilians, they should be treated as MURDERERS!

"I'm sorry" just doesn't cut it.

Quote:
When Obama talks about sitting down with our enemies, what is his goal? Is it not policy change. Wouldn't policy change with recognition of guilty and payment to victims be a pretty good outcome?
When/if he sits down to negotiate with KNOWN murderers of American civilians he should be called on the carpet as Bush should have been. Bush was quick to fight for regime changein Iraq, which did NOTHING to us yet was willing to negotiate and leave in power a MURDERING regime in Libya. THAT"S CRAP!

Quote:
Perhaps. However, Al Qaeda made it clear that they saw Iraq as a central battle so I'm not sure that it got in the way of the efforts with Al Qaeda. The Taliban may be a different story.
Hussein opposed al Qaeda, wasting our assets on an enemy of al Qaeda was at best poor strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies