Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,382,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Then listen to the Vick interview that was on 60 minutes. Read the relavent information on the HSUS website. You may take offense to their stand, but I don't think there's reason for bafflement.

I did. I found it to be as believable as Bill Clinton saying I did not have sex with that woman or Richard Nixon saying I am not a crook.

The HSUS are not making a moral judgement,

And that is the problem because they hold themselves up as the nations most important group for animal welfare yet they would like to have us believe that he really didn't know or understand that what he was doing for years was grossly immoral. They advocated killing all the Vick dogs without bothering to see if any could be saved. They didn't want to give the dogs a chance to show that they were not hopelessly vicious and should not be allowed in to society. They felt that the dogs deserved the death penalty immediately for being victims.

they are using Vick the way he used dogs.

They are using Vick the way he used dogs? They are forcing him to fight other humans, beating him, drowning him and electrocuting him by attaching jumper cables to his ears and and throwing him in a swimming pool.

If they reach one of those kids who idolize Vick, they've done their job, IMO.

There are any number of celebrities that kids look up to who actually are advocates on behalf of animals. Do you think that the best way to teach children about personal safety is for police departments to bring convicted pedophiles in to the classroom?

I never heard of Dick's Sporting Goods, but good for them-
I've been meaning to pick up some things I need from them, will do so and let them know they have my support.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:57 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,668,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
They are not a company but there is one very well known organization that is willing to give him another chance, who believes he is truly contrite.

Who is it: HSUS - The Humane Society of the United States.

So if you don't support Vick then you probably don't want to support the HSUS either.

How can an organization that is supposed to be an advocate for animals and their welfare take such a position??? I'm totally baffled. And outraged.
Same here!

Old 08-21-2009, 07:57 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,698,124 times
But, don't they stock hunting equipment???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
They are waiting to evaluate the reaction of Eagles' fans and the public in general. However, the NFLShop is including a customized jersey for dogs. Should be very interesting.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:04 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,697,085 times
There was a time in this country when athletes were held to a higher standard. They were America's finest and they were role models for our children. What happened? The Eagles have the propensity for hiring bad boys, the wife beater, dopers, and now a dog murderer. Imagine the message all this sends to kids; like it is OK to drive around Phila and smoke dope, get arrested, and still play pro football and collect a super salary. It's OK to own and manage a dog fighting ring, drown and electrocute non performing dogs, use puppies as bait dogs to be torn to shreds and still get a second chance. This is the example the Eagles set for our children.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Pete Rose ever got a second chance. I wonder why?

I can't change the hiring of Vick but what I am going to do is boycott any product advertised on an Eagle game. This week it's Bud. I will never by a Budwiser as long Vick remains on the Eagles. I hope you will do the same.

I have been green for more than 30 thirty years. I trashed all my Eagle's items, hats, jerseys, jackets, etc.

I will send Dick's Sporting Goods an email thanking them for their efforts.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
So what? Michael Vick jerseys are not sporting goods. They are fashion apparel.

What does this thread have to do with anything, except branding and marketing decisions by a for-profit corporation?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 AM

78,518 posts, read 60,702,401 times
I would love to get a Vick Jersey for my dog, but I have a sick sense of humor. Besides, true story....they were both in Leavenworth prison at the same time. She was a puppy in the program where inmates work with training dogs.
Attached Thumbnails
Dick's Sporting Goods not stocking Michael Vick jerseys-picture-149.jpg  

Last edited by Mathguy; 08-21-2009 at 12:15 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 12:02 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,410,277 times
Its their store, they can do what they want.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:33 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,962,697 times
Guess I just don't get it.

We, as a society arrest people put them on trial and if found guilty give them a jail sentence.

We say "you must pay your debt to society" do your time and then come out and start your life as a contributing member of society.

Well Vick has done his time, forfeited millions of dollars, his debt has been paid!!

It's strange that the same people who believe this, won't apply it to Vick.

Seems pretty judgemental and two faced to me !

Old 08-21-2009, 01:48 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,275,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash330 View Post
I can't think of one company that would touch Michael Vick with a 10-foot-pole right now for and endorsement. I don't care that he spent 18 months or whatever the time was in prison, until he redeems himself with sincerity, I won't be spending one red cent on any product he endorses.
I agree with you 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I saw in the paper this morning, NFL was starting to sell Vick Jerseys for dogs. I doubt if they will be much of a seller. I don't know a single person who would ever purchase anything that Vick could possibly profit from.

I agree with you 100%

StarlaJane: Nike: Drop Michael Vick Right Now - Sports Biz with Darren Rovell - CNBC.com
and then:
Nike ices Vick's pact; Reebok halts sale of No. 7 jersey - NFL - ESPN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Yea! for Dick's!!
Dicks has done a GREAT thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Same here!
Blondie ... you & I ALWAYS agree

Old 08-24-2009, 10:23 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,668,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
I agree with you 100%

Blondie ... you & I ALWAYS agree
I hope people do not forget.....the abuse to those poor dogs!

1.) One was that he actually strung dogs up in a noose in a tree and electrocuted them with jumper cables.
2.) Another was that he would take dogs in his pool and hold their heads under the water until their bodies became lifeless and they had drowned.
3.) The last was that he took family pets and thru them into the ring and applauded as the poor, suffering fighting dogs shredded up the poor little bait ones! Most were young puppies!
This man needs to vanish from the earth! His day will come. These are horrific things he did to those poor dogs. People will not forget.
A dog is mans best friend, we are supposed protect and take care of them and in return they give us unconditional love as long as they live! They lead the blind, walk for the ones who cannot and bring joy to those who suffer other ailments. They teach our children compassion.
Shame on you Vick, in my eyes you are not deserving of anything good or successful in your life.
Our country has become one of greed and it is not something to be very proud of! Shame!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.