Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:35 AM

8,650 posts, read 17,289,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So what? Michael Vick jerseys are not sporting goods. They are fashion apparel.

What does this thread have to do with anything, except branding and marketing decisions by a for-profit corporation?
But Michael Vick and the NFL get their cut...

Old 08-24-2009, 12:06 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,503,686 times
ZUGOR:

Then listen to the Vick interview that was on 60 minutes. Read the relavent information on the HSUS website. You may take offense to their stand, but I don't think there's reason for bafflement.

I did. I found it to be as believable as Bill Clinton saying I did not have sex with that woman or Richard Nixon saying I am not a crook.

SEEBEE: What has your lack of belief got to do with your bafflement? You said that you were baffled by their support of Vick. Their support is explained in the interview. Thus, no need for bafflement. Disagreement and hypocrisy are something else. No one in their right mind would believe anything that came out of Vick's mouth.

The HSUS are not making a moral judgement,

And that is the problem because they hold themselves up as the nations most important group for animal welfare yet they would like to have us believe that he really didn't know or understand that what he was doing for years was grossly immoral. They advocated killing all the Vick dogs without bothering to see if any could be saved. They didn't want to give the dogs a chance to show that they were not hopelessly vicious and should not be allowed in to society. They felt that the dogs deserved the death penalty immediately for being victims.

SEEBEE: It is indeed a problem. I agree. I just didn't understand why you were baffled.

they are using Vick the way he used dogs.

They are using Vick the way he used dogs? They are forcing him to fight other humans, beating him, drowning him and electrocuting him by attaching jumper cables to his ears and and throwing him in a swimming pool.

SEEBEE: No, zugor. HSUS are "using" Vick as a mean to an end, whether that be monetary or publicity. That's what Vick did: used the dogs as a means to make money, gamble or whatever else he 'got' out of it. Everything was done for nefarious purposes. I certainly don't think the HSUS has any sort of altruistic agenda.

If they reach one of those kids who idolize Vick, they've done their job, IMO.

There are any number of celebrities that kids look up to who actually are advocates on behalf of animals. Do you think that the best way to teach children about personal safety is for police departments to bring convicted pedophiles in to the classroom?

SEEBEE: I don't exactly know what's in it for HSUS or Vick's attorneys or the NFL other than lots of money.

But would anyone listen to a Brian Grant (does anyone even know who he is outside of Portland, Oregon)? BTW, there's a rescue up in Washington who publicized NFL players who were honest, law-abiding and animal advocates. So yes, I agree that there are NFL players & other athletes who are animal advocates.

Can you name one of those players without looking it up? Players and people like that do not make the news and they do not generate discussions on forums. I wish they did.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
There was a time in this country when athletes were held to a higher standard. They were America's finest and they were role models for our children. What happened? The Eagles have the propensity for hiring bad boys, the wife beater, dopers, and now a dog murderer. Imagine the message all this sends to kids; like it is OK to drive around Phila and smoke dope, get arrested, and still play pro football and collect a super salary. It's OK to own and manage a dog fighting ring, drown and electrocute non performing dogs, use puppies as bait dogs to be torn to shreds and still get a second chance. This is the example the Eagles set for our children.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Pete Rose ever got a second chance. I wonder why?
It just beats the h*ll out of me. It's not something particular to the Eagles though. The Portland Trailblazers hit the bottom of the barrel after they won the NBA championship. Players fought dogs, kept huge amounts of dope in their homes, routinely broke the law & were arrested, beat their wives, etc. - and they were idolized and paid millions of dollars. This went on for years. The badder they were, the more PR they got. Those who fought dogs are still playing in the NBA.

I don't know what's wrong.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:15 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,433,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Guess I just don't get it.

We, as a society arrest people put them on trial and if found guilty give them a jail sentence.

We say "you must pay your debt to society" do your time and then come out and start your life as a contributing member of society.

Well Vick has done his time, forfeited millions of dollars, his debt has been paid!!

It's strange that the same people who believe this, won't apply it to Vick.

Seems pretty judgemental and two faced to me !
Well are you going to let your kids hang out with a pedifile? He did his time, paid his debt. How about letting your wife alone with a known rapist? See the point? Yes he commited crimes and went to jail, I have not forgotten what he did and I would leave my puppy alone with him.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I would love to get a Vick Jersey for my dog, but I have a sick sense of humor. Besides, true story....they were both in Leavenworth prison at the same time. She was a puppy in the program where inmates work with training dogs.
Well, god bless your pup! A wonderful story and rather ironic story, isn't it? Is there such a thing as a Leavenworth parolee jersey for dogs? That'd be a great idea

Old 08-24-2009, 12:25 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,627,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
There was a time in this country when athletes were held to a higher standard. They were America's finest and they were role models for our children.
Please tell me when that was? Was it when Babe Ruth was an alcoholic and a wife beater, or when Lawrence Taylor was a coke head, or when Mark McGwire and company were jucied or maybe when OJ did the slash and cut off the field, or when Len Bias dies of a drug OD? Athletes are not GODs and the sooner people realize that they are a segment of the population that has problems and issues like everyone else the better off we will all be. Your kids role models should be YOU and thier family members, raise your kids by your morals dont expect athletes to do it for you. Like Charles Barkley said, he's not charged with raising anyones kids.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:44 PM

79,159 posts, read 61,300,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Well, god bless your pup! A wonderful story and rather ironic story, isn't it? Is there such a thing as a Leavenworth parolee jersey for dogs? That'd be a great idea
Yeah, she is kinda skittish. Also, they don't have tons of mirrors in the prison so she wasn't used to that.

Whenever she gets overly skittish I just say she was having a flashback to an experience in prison with Vick.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:41 AM

40,048 posts, read 34,721,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
They are waiting to evaluate the reaction of Eagles' fans and the public in general. However, the NFLShop is including a customized jersey for dogs. Should be very interesting.
It's called "marketing." Vick is both a professional athlete and, suddenly, a controversial figure. So Dick's Sporting Goods (and the NFLShop) is taking advantage of the situation to make a few bucks. That's all.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,297 times
Thank you to all our customers for calling in supporting us for not selling the Michael Vick Jerseys. Although we do appreciate hearing from you it would be better if you sent us an email through the contact us section of the dickssportinggoods.com website. The emails will get to our corporate headquarters much faster and will help keep phone lines open. Thank you again for your support.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:37 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,627,733 times
Dicks sux. I'm sure they sell leonard little jerseys and he killed a HUMAN BEING in a DUI then had another DUI after that. What a crock of crap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies