Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:36 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
LOL, I saw NIN....in an auditorium, but they still rocked. I have to say, from what I've "heard", '94 or whenever it was, woodstock was still pretty dirty. I've heard stories of the whole "not having water", "the bathrooms were nowhere to be seen, we pee'd right there", yada yada yada. I think both of them were something to behold & I'm just kinda annoyed that I didn't go to either of them. The first one I wasn't born yet & the 2nd one I felt I was to old to go to. Go figure.
I was 44 and took my two kids... 18 and 16.
Maybe not the most responsible decision in my lifetime but the kids enjoyed it. And yeah, it wasn't pretty, but it was safer than 69 from what I heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Kev maybe you didn't feel it. We did indeed hate the pigs or any authority. I said "we". Many have abandoned what we stood for. I have not. I still hate the pigs, the politicians and any other authority that wants to tell me what to do. I had no use for them then and have no use for them now.

So much of the Hippy culture and what we believed in still lives even if you dont realize it. We did not like war and we dont like it now, especially when a dictator declares war based on fake and made up lies.
We had the greatest music in this countries history. The music meant something, it was deep and meaningful. Proof lies in the fact that it is still very much alive 40 years later, even after all the trash wrap and hippity hoppity garbage which took over the scene.

I'm still a Hippy. I still live by their rule. I have not cut my hair in 40 years but I do not wear bell bottoms. I would not vote even at gun point because I refuse to support those who steal from me and violate what few rights that they have not taken from me yet. I hate politics, I have no wings and dont call everyone liberal because the word has no meaning when everyone calls everyone a liberal like it was a curse word. I still play the keyboards like Eric Burdon and sing like the breeze.

It was a great time to be alive and to be a kid. I cant imagine being alive today without having Woodstock, the music and the camaraderie as part of my life which shapped me into who and what I am today.
I will never ever forget it and I will never get old despite what my birth cert says.
There are few like you left. At least you stuck to the thing- although I wish you would vote.

4,301 posts, read 7,035,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
But looking back on it, I guess it was a symbol of the 1960s for many. That aside, I have often wondered why the so called "Woodstock Generation" turned out to be as bad or even worse than the "pigs" they hated so much back then. All I recall about those people- including the relatives I went there with- was that they were about "love" and "changing the world". They hated the war and the greed of their parents. They despised the "establishment". So what happened to them? They hated Veitnam and did not want to go fight in it but have no problem sending Generation X to Iraq which has even less justification. They hated "greed" and wanted to "share the land" but now they lord over Wall Street and big business that has NEVER been more greedy than it is right now.
I could never understand the reason behind being a hippie. The vast majority of them were Caucasian, and were middle class or even wealthy children, having everything provided for them throughout their entire lives, yet try to play the victim card and hate the establishment. I suppose so many people being so well off makes them resentful.. Must have been the drugs causing that disillusionment.

In any case, the anti-war movement was really the only sensible issue behind the entire hippie movement. The rest of it was just a bunch of college aged kids from picture perfect families doing what everyone else their age does..

Old 08-20-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I was 44 and took my two kids... 18 and 16.
Maybe not the most responsible decision in my lifetime but the kids enjoyed it. And yeah, it wasn't pretty, but it was safer than 69 from what I heard.
I never felt unsafe at 69. Just very uncomfortable. I mean, I was a pretty tough kid but that was a bit tougher than I was. There were a few fights but they were more like "skirmishes" that were quickly broken up by others who told the participants to chill out and gave them a bit of smoke to cool them down. I wish I could have went back again but I just could not do it at the time.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:44 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
In 69 there was plenty of water. You get get it from one of many hoses that they had around the place. But I will say that all these bands sound much better in your local concert venue. I have seen many of them up close since including Santana and Creedence and they sounded alot better than they did there. I am really into bands from the 60s and 70s. Just saw Frampton for the 3rd time.
I'm more of an alternative music kinda girl, I'm talking Nitzer Ebb, Depeche mOde, etc. but I also love '70's rock.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I could never understand the reason behind being a hippie. The vast majority of them were Caucasian, and were middle class or even wealthy children, having everything provided for them throughout their entire lives, yet try to play the victim card and hate the establishment. I suppose so many people being so well off makes them resentful.. Must have been the drugs causing that disillusionment.

In any case, the anti-war movement was really the only sensible issue behind the entire hippie movement. The rest of it was just a bunch of college aged kids from picture perfect families doing what everyone else their age does..
I don't know what I think of them. I agree with you that some of them were just counter culture types and war protesters. They said they were non conformist but then they conformed with each other. So in a way they were conformist. But the ones that were really truly genuine I do admire. Yes they had the comforts of the middle class but if they were ready to give that all up in order to better the world, I was all for that. I could have done without all the drugs although I had long hair and smoked pot listening to Deep Purple when I was young too. I confess that I enjoyed the hell out of it too. I cannot wait until all the kids are gone out of the house just so I can roll a doobie and throw on "Machine Head" just for old times sake! I ownder if you can still buy "Orange Sunshine"?

Old 08-20-2009, 09:49 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I voted for Ford... but I think Carter has gotten a bad rap. I'll let those posts go by the wayside.

He took on the most important issue of our time. Energy independence! Yeah, maybe some of his press relations acts were a little hokey, like lowering the thermostat and wearing a sweater. But the message was on spot. We had to conserve to avoid exploitation from the OPEC crew.

And, while the economy wasn't great during his term.... look what he got from Nixon and Ford, but many credit his appointment of Paul Volker for bringing inflation and interest rates back to comprehensible numbers.

Yes, he's vilified, but I think that a lot of the criticism he receives is exagerrated.

I remember Reagan coming in and tearing down the Solar panels Carter had installed in the White House and encouraging America to not worry about energy... the market will take care of it.

ok... that's enough going through memory lane.
One thing that also needs to be brought up is the Iran Hostage crisis.
American Experience | Jimmy Carter | People & Events

Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I don't know what I think of them. I agree with you that some of them were just counter culture types and war protesters. They said they were non conformist but then they conformed with each other. So in a way they were conformist. But the ones that were really truly genuine I do admire. Yes they had the comforts of the middle class but if they were ready to give that all up in order to better the world, I was all for that. I could have done without all the drugs although I had long hair and smoked pot listening to Deep Purple when I was young too. I confess that I enjoyed the hell out of it too. I cannot wait until all the kids are gone out of the house just so I can roll a doobie and throw on "Machine Head" just for old times sake! I ownder if you can still buy "Orange Sunshine"?
LOL, Deep Purple, you are soo of my older brother's generation...I think. I used to sit on his water bed & listen to Journey. Man, I still love Journey, I wish Steve Perry would get back together w/them. I'm right now listening to Pearl Jam...anyone else like them?

Old 08-20-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
LOL, Deep Purple, you are soo of my older brother's generation...I think. I used to sit on his water bed & listen to Journey. Man, I still love Journey, I wish Steve Perry would get back together w/them. I'm right now listening to Pearl Jam...anyone else like them?
I like them! I have all their CDs. I am going to see U2 soon too. I am not totally stuck in the 60s!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I like them! I have all their CDs. I am going to see U2 soon too. I am not totally stuck in the 60s!
I saw U2 on their Zooropa tour in Madison, WI in.... when was it, like '94 I think? Dude, they rocked so hard. I also saw Pearl Jam & Nirvana. Anyway, I hardly ever see bands now, sad of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies